Author Topic: The final blow to small business?  (Read 1739 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
The final blow to small business?
« on: May 09, 2014, 07:14:26 PM »
raising minimum wage

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: The final blow to small business?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 11:57:10 PM »
raising minimum wage

I dislike the idea - doesnt make sense economically.  However, some liberals support the idea.

Mitt Romney: Raise the minimum wage

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney on Thursday morning said he supports an increase in the minimum wage, breaking with many Republicans who have stood against it.

“I, for instance, as you know, part company with many of the conservatives in my party on the issue of the minimum wage. I think we ought to raise it,” the 2012 Republican presidential nominee said. “Because frankly, our party is all about more jobs and better pay.”

Romney’s comments come after Senate Republicans rejected a vote on a Senate bill that would have increased the minimum wage to $10.10. Recently, though, former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, both of whom also ran for the Republican nomination in 2012, said they supported some increase in the minimum wage.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/05/mitt-romney-minimum-wage-106524.html#ixzz31IFqB3F1

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 01:01:13 AM »
I dislike the idea - doesnt make sense economically.  However, some liberals support the idea.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney on Thursday morning said he supports an increase in the minimum wage, breaking with many Republicans who have stood against it.

“I, for instance, as you know, part company with many of the conservatives in my party on the issue of the minimum wage. I think we ought to raise it,” the 2012 Republican presidential nominee said. “Because frankly, our party is all about more jobs and better pay.”

Romney’s comments come after Senate Republicans rejected a vote on a Senate bill that would have increased the minimum wage to $10.10. Recently, though, former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, both of whom also ran for the Republican nomination in 2012, said they supported some increase in the minimum wage.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/05/mitt-romney-minimum-wage-106524.html#ixzz31IFqB3F1

;D ;D ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 07:25:48 AM »
Had romney won the presidency, I bet he'd be pushing the House to install a minimum wage.  He's being more vocal about it than Obama, that's for sure.  Could it be Romney is to the LEFT of Obama on minimum wage? 

Yikes.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 09:07:06 AM »
Could be the final blow

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 09:45:36 AM »
Could be the final blow

libs and RINOs are finally uniting to destroy america.

it's ted criz' worst nightmare.

it's the wet dream of obama and harry reid and "men" like mitt romney.

rachaelsnav

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 10:03:39 AM »
I prefer a maximum wage.  For example the lowest paid employee cannot make more than 10x less than the highest (or whatever number makes sense). 

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 11:27:02 AM »
How many times does this have to be said, employee's are paid for their skill set. If you have no skills you aren't going to get paid much. .gov setting some arbitrary number is a vote generator, just like everything else .gov does.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 03:32:58 AM »
How many times does this have to be said, employee's are paid for their skill set. If you have no skills you aren't going to get paid much. .gov setting some arbitrary number is a vote generator, just like everything else .gov does.

that's not the issue dude. They aren't making a living wage, meaning, others are subsidizing their life not their employer. Wal mart is a clear example of this. This creates a class that simply can't invest or avoid assistance, draining everyone but the wage provider. The real winner is the company that pays lower then shit wages when adjusted for inflation.

this will be a win for small business, their customers need disposable income, if minimum wage was increased they could actually spend money and help drive the economy instead of killing it.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 03:46:25 AM »
that's not the issue dude. They aren't making a living wage, meaning, others are subsidizing their life not their employer. Wal mart is a clear example of this. This creates a class that simply can't invest or avoid assistance, draining everyone but the wage provider. The real winner is the company that pays lower then shit wages when adjusted for inflation.

this will be a win for small business, their customers need disposable income, if minimum wage was increased they could actually spend money and help drive the economy instead of killing it.

Let's cut public assistance instead, then big business will have to adjust when their employees stop showing up for work. We can also cut taxes for small business owners and the middle class.

Win-win scenario

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 09:00:21 AM »

Ok, here we go. I looked at several sites where this was quoted and yes, I did go to conservative sites as well as politico. It was released by MSNBC. What I CANNOT find is if he elaborated on that statement any further, you know he did. MSNBC is famous for taking quotes out of context. Obviously he said it but the quote was cut off right there.

Aside from that, raising the minimum wage would KILL small businesses especially in fucked up liberal states like California and NY where we're already getting raped.

Until I see a legit source where he qualifies that statement. I'm not buying it.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 09:36:04 AM »
Ok, here we go. I looked at several sites where this was quoted and yes, I did go to conservative sites as well as politico. It was released by MSNBC. What I CANNOT find is if he elaborated on that statement any further, you know he did. MSNBC is famous for taking quotes out of context. Obviously he said it but the quote was cut off right there.

Aside from that, raising the minimum wage would KILL small businesses especially in fucked up liberal states like California and NY where we're already getting raped.

Until I see a legit source where he qualifies that statement. I'm not buying it.

Did you happen to stumble across other conservatives bashing Romney for his statement?  I guess they must all watch MSNBC

Romney is smart enough to know that when you increase the minimum wage it helps the economy because that money gets spent on more goods and services.

Also, there are plenty of cities across the country with minimum wages higher than the federal minimum wage and they seem to be doing just fine.  And finally the current minimum wage is less than it was at the end of the 1960's when adjusted for 2012 dollar buying power.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »
Did you happen to stumble across other conservatives bashing Romney for his statement?  I guess they must all watch MSNBC

Romney is smart enough to know that when you increase the minimum wage it helps the economy because that money gets spent on more goods and services.

Also, there are plenty of cities across the country with minimum wages higher than the federal minimum wage and they seem to be doing just fine.  And finally the current minimum wage is less than it was at the end of the 1960's when adjusted for 2012 dollar buying power.

It was on an msnbc show. It kills small business. Use a little business commonsense.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 01:52:40 PM »
It was on an msnbc show. It kills small business. Use a little business commonsense.

again, why are other conservatives bashing Romney for this comment if it's just MSNBC spin?

also, go look at some cities with the highest minimum wages in the country and show us the example of small business being killed

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 02:50:11 PM »
I prefer a maximum wage.  For example the lowest paid employee cannot make more than 10x less than the highest (or whatever number makes sense). 

Exec comp should be completely up to shareholders and enforced by the board. Big govt should have no say in such a matter.

If there is only one shareholder or the head of the company is the majority shareholder, he can pay himself whatever he sees fit. If minority shareholders don't like it, they can sell out.

If the guy cleaning Lloyd Blankfein's toilet at Goldman's headquarters thinks he's entitled to 10% or even 1% of the $20-50 million Lloyd makes in a good year, he needs to move up the ladder or go start his own I-bank.
A

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 02:58:07 PM »
I'm starting to think the Repubs should all jump on the increasing min wage bandwagon as a pure political move just to swing some votes. Then maybe nudge it up a minimal amount just to win over some of the labor force. The unions are already starting to support them over things like Keystone.

Although I think it's a bad time to raise it and think the whole min wage idea in theory isn't so great, I'm realistic enough to know that we'll always have one, and that we'll have to raise it one way or another sooner or later. Repubs need to learn how to start playing the game with the changing demographic and start winning elections again.

Besides, if we've learned anything from the current admin, we've learned that you can lie over and over and get away with it if you can find a "cool" guy people will vote in and the media will coddle.
A

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 03:10:25 PM »

very interesting

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 06:46:20 PM »
Ok, here we go. I looked at several sites where this was quoted

The story says MSNBC because, well, Romney's RINO ass was ON msnbc kissing their asses. 

Here's the story from conservative trustworthy BRIETBART:
http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/upiUPI-20140509-113102-9660

Romney was appearing on MSNBC's Morning Joe when he said that he backs the raising of the minimum wage, just a week after Senate Republicans thwarted an attempt by Senate Democrats to raise the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour.

"I, for instance, as you know, part company with many of the conservatives in my party on the issue of the minimum wage," said Romney. "I think we ought to raise it, because frankly, our party is all about more jobs and better pay[, and I think communicating that is important to us."

All Senate Republicans barring one voted against the measure even as two other former presidential hopefuls, former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty and former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, agreed that some kind of wage increase was needed.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 06:50:19 PM »
What I CANNOT find is if he elaborated on that statement any further, you know he did.

He elaborated, yes.  He explained why he felt that way.  There is no "taking it out of context" and I didn't quote MSNBC, I quoted politico.  You saw the words "MSNBC" because that's where Romney was kneepadding, sucking up to Joe and Mika and lapping up Obama's economic bullshit while he was there. 

Romney wants to raise the minimum age.    It's that simple.  "I think we ought to raise it".   Yep.  He's a RINO, plain and simple.  he's worse.  He's a liberal now, isn't he? 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 03:14:58 AM »

Dude this isn't an argument, you are basically saying "because I say so", we can test your theory that it kills small business. Show me the evidence?

In places with higher minimum wage, Canada for example, the middle class has never been stronger, stronger then your declining class as more and more fall into the lower class. Australia even places in your very country have "high" minimum wages and yet they are doing just fine.

You have to provide proof for you statements.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 12:20:59 PM »
It will kill some jobs...when small incorporated businesses and sole proprietorships shed some help - those folks are smart enough to adapt....the rest of the big companies will just raise prices of goods and services....and the govt new math will call that resultant inflation "growth", hahahaha.

You can sit on your ass and get govt benefits equal to ten bucks for doing nothing - or more for popping out kids and watching Maury all day.

The message of the dignity of work is all but drowned out by the freebies.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 12:26:58 PM »
It will kill some jobs...when small incorporated businesses and sole proprietorships shed some help - those folks are smart enough to adapt....the rest of the big companies will just raise prices of goods and services....and the govt new math will call that resultant inflation "growth", hahahaha.

You can sit on your ass and get govt benefits equal to ten bucks for doing nothing - or more for popping out kids and watching Maury all day.

The message of the dignity of work is all but drowned out by the freebies.

If min wage stays this low your tax money will continue to fund these low wage workers. Put the onus on the employer to pay fairly, let them raise prices, competition will take care of that as will smart consumerism. People can choose to shop elsewhere, more shoppers however, is a clear plus.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 12:28:27 PM »
Dude this isn't an argument, you are basically saying "because I say so", we can test your theory that it kills small business. Show me the evidence?

In places with higher minimum wage, Canada for example, the middle class has never been stronger, stronger then your declining class as more and more fall into the lower class. Australia even places in your very country have "high" minimum wages and yet they are doing just fine.

You have to provide proof for you statements.

You're asking him for proof?  Where is the proof of this claim? 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 12:35:59 PM »
You're asking him for proof?  Where is the proof of this claim? 

He's a liberal, he doesn't need any proof.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 12:44:08 PM »
If min wage stays this low your tax money will continue to fund these low wage workers. Put the onus on the employer to pay fairly, let them raise prices, competition will take care of that as will smart consumerism. People can choose to shop elsewhere, more shoppers however, is a clear plus.

"pay fairly" ... my concern is that we are letting the benefits(that were supposed to be short term help) totally dictate what "fair" is, not what the actual job market demands and will bear out.

As to the rest...if baseline prices of things needed to live outpace the wage, which they will - market competition will not fix it. Assuming there will be more shoppers means you assume jobs will be created by a higher wage, which the CBO says will likely not happen.