Author Topic: Overly strenuous exercise bad for the heart?  (Read 4176 times)

DanielPaul

• Getbig IV
Overly strenuous exercise bad for the heart?
« on: May 15, 2014, 06:44:11 AM »
So a new report I seen on the news says this morning, that being said , they did not give details about how strenuous.  Seems like crossfit would be a prime example, but your everyday gym rat who does moderate cardio for 30 min and 30 min of moderate weight training 5 days a week would this apply to them as well?

the trainer

Re: Overly strenuous exercise bad for the heart?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 06:51:32 AM »
Yes its dangerous I advise you to stop going to the gym immediately the hardest exercise you should do is a slow walk to the park, then go home eat some potato chips and play grand theft auto.

DanielPaul

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 06:58:38 AM »
Yes its dangerous I advise you to stop going to the gym immediately the hardest exercise you should do is a slow walk to the park, then go home eat some potato chips and play grand theft auto.
im on it, fuck

Simple Simon

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 07:21:00 AM »
"overly" is a clue there.
I.e "to much"

DanielPaul

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 08:10:27 AM »
My question is "what's considered too much" give an example

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 08:13:12 AM »
I've heard about heavy deadlifts causing potential strokes

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:19:11 AM »
Definitely not bodybuilding related.

backday

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 09:05:02 AM »
So a new report I seen on the news says this morning, that being said , they did not give details about how strenuous.  Seems like crossfit would be a prime example, but your everyday gym rat who does moderate cardio for 30 min and 30 min of moderate weight training 5 days a week would this apply to them as well?
If you are in ``bad condition`` with your heart , blood pressure etc, there are
many exercises that are dangerous for you.

My wife was afraid of my heart because I still lift heavy, especially deadlifts.So I was
examined by the cardiologist and everything was OK. When he asked me how much I trained , I said that I did at least 2 hours cardio everyday, I did not explain that all my
cardio exercise was low intensity(walking most).

He looked at me and said that hade come lately raports of strokes and heart conditions  from trainers(not necessary pros) who trained too hard and too long``cardio sports``(marathon, country ski etc).

Then I explained to him that I mostly walked 1 hour in the morning and another in the afternoon and sometimes 20 minutes jogging.That was OK he said and then I asked him about the weights and  he said to train with  weights was OK, and about
my specific weight training,that it worked for me so go on  :)

the trainer

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 09:10:05 AM »
For all getbiggers afraid of strenuous workouts just do this at the gym.

Simple Simon

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 09:10:50 AM »
you cant damage a healthy heart through over stress, the body will gas and stop you.
Now if your heart isnt healthy it can "go" before you gas

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 09:11:56 AM »
You've convinced me. Bong at the ready. Doritos handy. Countdown to couch lock starting in 10...9...8

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 09:13:37 AM »
So a new report I seen on the news says this morning, that being said , they did not give details about how strenuous.  Seems like crossfit would be a prime example, but your everyday gym rat who does moderate cardio for 30 min and 30 min of moderate weight training 5 days a week would this apply to them as well?

Many long distance triathletes develop heart conditions. I used to wear a heart rate monitor throughout my training in weights then cardio. A run would set my HRT at 170 to 185bpm depending on how hard I went...now imagine doing this for one, two even three hours a day...most days.

During my Olympic distance Traithlon race, my HRT was at an average of 180bpm for 2.30hrs....Ironman athletes have to maintain that for over 8 hours.

Gym rats are ok, now powerlifters and strongmen are something else as this overloads the heart seeing as they train at pretty much max weight, which send BPM to the roof every time.
S

Sophus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 10:54:02 AM »
Sunday fapsessions are the worst though

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 01:28:01 PM »
The heart is a muscle and it should be trained. If the heart could be seen on the outside of your chest bodybuilders would be training it like crazy to show it off.

Dr. Ken Cooper the father of cardio for your health said in effect that if you are running over 20 miles a week you are training to become a better athlete but not necessarily for better health.  

More people have saved them self from heart trouble doing cardio instead of causing problems.

Some benefits of cardio.

1. A slower resting heart rate that illustrates a stronger heart muscle that pumps more efficiently.

2. Lower blood fats in the form of triglycerides.

3. Lower visceral fat. That's responsible for so many metabolic problems like diabetes

4. Lower subcutaneous fat.

5. Lower blood sugar.

6. Better ratios of HDL to LDL lipids.

7. Possible lowering of cholesterol.

8. Elevated mood from doing cardio. A real anti depressant.

9. Stronger bones

10. Lower inflammation which is one of the heart risk factors.

11. Increased red blood cells that carry oxygen throughout your system.

12. It builds extra blood pathways that could mean the difference from dying from a heart attack and surviving.  

13. While there is conflicting information on this I believe it increases metabolism. Anyone who has taken up running can say the fat loss is over the caloric count of the actual cardio activity.

14. Lowers blood pressure.

I can come up with more maybe another time.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 02:52:46 PM »
you cant damage a healthy heart through over stress, the body will gas and stop you.
Now if your heart isnt healthy it can "go" before you gas

After a race, marathoners show elevated levels of creatine kinase and other markers of myocardial damage.  It won't kill you on the spot, but it's not healthy either.

Just about anything taken to the extreme will be bad for you, pretty intuitive really

Simple Simon

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 03:14:07 PM »
After a race, marathoners show elevated levels of creatine kinase and other markers of myocardial damage.  It won't kill you on the spot, but it's not healthy either.

Just about anything taken to the extreme will be bad for you, pretty intuitive really
I would wager so do guys who work the stockmarket, its called 'life'.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 05:27:07 PM »

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 05:37:09 PM »
So a new report I seen on the news says this morning, that being said , they did not give details about how strenuous.  Seems like crossfit would be a prime example, but your everyday gym rat who does moderate cardio for 30 min and 30 min of moderate weight training 5 days a week would this apply to them as well?
moderate cardio for 30 mins and weights for 30 mins 5 days a week would be beneficial to the heart. My understanding is that you can damage the heart muscle if you exert yourself while sick with say a chest infection.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 05:45:40 PM »
I exercise way too much. Since I have started incorporating running/b-ball/cycling my resting hear rate went from 80 to 60. Blood pressure avg 118/70.   Things seems to be ok with my heart

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 05:23:05 AM »
I exercise way too much. Since I have started incorporating running/b-ball/cycling my resting hear rate went from 80 to 60. Blood pressure avg 118/70.   Things seems to be ok with my heart

Those are healthy adaptations to cardio. Too much would be running 80 miles a week and competing in marathons every other month like some people do. Running a marathon seems to be every distance runners quest. It's to damn far for most people to be running without health consequences. It's not how far you run but how fast. Anyone can shuffle through a marathon.  Let's see how fast you can run a 5K?