Author Topic: Do you focus more on pull-ups or rows? Splitting up back day?  (Read 1471 times)

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Do any of you split your back workouts up? Deadlift on its own day perhaps?

I've been thinking about putting Pull-ups/Chins on Bicep day. Bent Rows & Deadlift on another day.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
Re: Do you focus more on pull-ups or rows? Splitting up back day?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 07:38:32 AM »
Why not do them on the same day, like successful bodybuilders have done since the dawn of time?

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 07:39:52 AM »
i pull up all week next to back day, when i see an opportunity to do it somewhere i do, total addiction

the trainer

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 07:44:05 AM »

I've been thinking about putting Pull-ups/Chins on Bicep day. Bent Rows & Deadlift on another day.

That is a good idea on back workout 1 you could do chin ups, pull downs to the front and straight arm lat pulldowns
then on back workout 2 you do bent over rows, t bar rows and rack deadlifts.

backday

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 07:51:03 AM »

I do very often when the deadlifts day is a heavy one, that day I`ll do deads and barbell rows, and biceps or triceps. The other day will be chins , pull-ups with supinated hands and maybe dumbell rows and biceps or triceps again.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 07:58:15 AM »
i have deads on a seperate day. it works better for me as deaflifting first then doing rest of back excercises the rest suffer. deadlift last and the deadlift suffers.

on upoer back day i like to always do barbell rows first then vary the order of rest of back excercises. then leave deads till shoulders/traps day.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:35:05 AM »
I tend to focus more on rowing movements.  A lot of people walking around with fairly wide lats, but notice how many trainers lack back thickness.

I was never big on deadlifts.  I could never figure out where to fit them in.  My legs were always too sore from squatting.

Neptune100

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 08:39:38 AM »
Here's what has worked for me. I used this routine twice a week to make great improvements to my back, not just my back but my strength as well. On the first day, I do pullups, heavy rows and heavy deadlifts. Pullups and rows over-hand.  On the second day, I do chin-ups, reverse rows and deadlifts lighter weight higher rep. Chin-ups and rows under hand.  I may throw in a 4th exercise if I feel like it, usually I like either the lat pulldown or t-bar row or 1 arm row.  I don't feel like you need to separate these. I like pullups and rows to get me totally warmed up for deadlifts and I was always able to go heavy. Stick to the basics.

1.Pull-ups (4-6 sets)
2.Bent Over Rows (4-6 sets)
3. Deadlifts (4-6 sets)
4.(Optional) Lat Pulldowns, T-Bars or 1 arm row

SquatsRule

• Getbig IV
  • I am "teh sexy"
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 10:15:03 AM »
I always do both on back day. There is a guy at my gym who warms up with pullups every workout and his lats are better than mine. I guess it all boils down to what works best for you.
S

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 11:00:21 AM »
wide grip pullups first, followed by some sort of seated row. Seems to be working nicely for me, though back is still relatively weak.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 12:05:41 PM »

about 70/30 pulldown/chin movements vs. rowing movements... maybe 60/40, I dunno.

first set is usually a pulldown/chin.

past couple weeks it's been

wide grip pulldown 3x20
rev grip wide pulldown 1-2x20
seated row with wide grip (pre-exhaust rhomboids) 2x20
seated row with v-handle 2-3x20
straight arm pulldown 3-4x15 (short rest between, kinda fst-syle)
machine shrug 3x20 (my c5,c6 and c7 have been fucked lately so I go easy on these.. in the past I'd do power-shrugs out of a rack with 6-7 plates for sets of 10... only thing that got my traps to grow)
machine rear-delt superset with 'face-pulls' with a band 3 sets of 15 plus 30 reps with the bands.

rare that I deadlift these days.. don't have much time for workouts, so not much time to set up the bars/plates, ect...