Author Topic: Switching to Mac  (Read 6491 times)

Mawse

• Getbig IV
Re: Switching to Mac
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 09:45:07 PM »
Paying a lot more for less power doesn't really work for me, plus I hate iTunes with a passion so no, don't do it

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2014, 09:59:31 PM »
I use them both for work..... this sums up my feelings exactly:

Paying a lot more for less power doesn't really work for me

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2014, 10:01:45 PM »
What do you mean "Less Power"?

I mean, they both run the same Intel CPUs... the Macs certainly have some nice functions as well. I had a DIMM failing in one and it had a little red light on the riser card to even tell me which DIMM was bad... That was cool.

But what do you mean "Less Power"... How is the Mac Intel not as powerful as a Windows Intel CPU.

i7 is i7 right?

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2014, 10:14:25 PM »
You are correct... Corrected my comment.

Was just typing away and my fingers got carried away... No homo.

got it!

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2014, 10:15:50 PM »
I'm on my second Macbook. I switched 6 years ago when I decided to stop working on a desktop and moved countries.

There is an initial learning curve (like everything).

Overall I'm quite happy with the Mac's I've had. I had some initial screen problems with my first macbook which took about 3 months to repair - but since then it's still sitting upstairs in my office getting used everyday and working nicely.

I don't think the user experience is all that much better than on a Windows platform. The one complaint I have with Mac's is that they lock you into their products which all have a built in redundancy. I started using their Pages word processing programme with my first machine, (which I really like a lot better than MS Office/Word), but it's not compatible with windows. I had 5 years worth of documents that could only be read on a Mac, which was a big reason I bought another Mac recently.

Then I had to do all sorts of fuckery to get the new machine to read the old documents because I didn't want to upgrade that programme. I probably would have gone back to a Windows desktop had it not been for that issue.

So, happy enough but given a blank slate and knowing what I know now I'd just buy a good quality Windows machine again.

A Righteous Sort

• Getbig III
  • Magnificent looks, superior memory
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2014, 10:24:20 PM »
If you are some kind of tech geek that needs "access to the operating system" get a PC
If you are some kind of gaming geek get a PC
If you are constantly tweaking and updating your hard drive, like a 1950s greaser working on a hot rod get a PC

If you want something user friendly, streamlined, intuitive, minimalist, that works and works well get MAC.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2014, 01:59:22 AM »
I honestly think some are better off with mac, others with pc.

Usually, you like what you are used to and what is simpler. So depends if what you want to do with it and personal preference.

People often say that they switched to mac and it is better but they are the ones voicing the opinion. If they later change back to PC they won't tell it ;D

Mac owns the hip crowd who likes to flaunt it but PC is a way larger percentage of the users. I think you have a 50 % chance of liking it.

My personal opinion? Mac is a steaming pile of manure in a shiny box and is immensely irritating when you are used to and like all the features of a PC.

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2014, 02:33:52 AM »
my next trading platform will be a trio of 24in Imac's... till then, I'm cool with windows.

I'm a bit afraid of getting away from excel though. lol
You can use excel on a mac

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2014, 02:41:55 AM »
If you are some kind of tech geek that needs "access to the operating system" get a PC
If you are some kind of gaming geek get a PC
If you are constantly tweaking and updating your hard drive, like a 1950s greaser working on a hot rod get a PC

If you want something user friendly, streamlined, intuitive, minimalist, that works and works well get MAC.

Actually, I write code for a living and a Mac is a much better platform for that. Since my primary preferred deployment platform is Linux, the Mac just works great with it because at its heart, MacOS is built on a unix kernel.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2014, 02:54:40 AM »
The Mac is the better system for bodybuilding.

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2014, 09:11:12 AM »
Actually, I write code for a living and a Mac is a much better platform for that. Since my primary preferred deployment platform is Linux, the Mac just works great with it because at its heart, MacOS is built on a unix kernel.
I code for Windows and also iOS and support many in house developed software projects. If I didn't work with Windows I would never own a windows machine. I hate the OS - I do think Windows 8 is a step in the right direction now though.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2014, 09:40:31 AM »
Dang, Vince is using some serious horsepower to enhance his artful craft.
Do you play any games too?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2014, 10:24:33 AM »
I work with both and have been doing so for a good number of years now.

I prefer to work on the MAC whenever possible.

NEVER had a 'bug' problem and when one of my Macs got old and a bit worn out (mainly worn out keyboard)
I simply took it down to the MAC STORE and the keys were replaced within a matter of minutes (free of charge).

ANd when I thought I had a serious MAC problem, I took it to the MAC Store and a swift click on one of the keys set me up so that my MAC would print whatever I said on my computer screen.

Plus the MAC Store offers free daily classes to learn new Mac stuff like a pro and you can always go inside and get an immediate answer to any question that you may have.

You get a ton of Service when you buy a MAC., but when my window units break down ... I'm in  a lot of trouble,

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2014, 12:34:52 PM »
Mac is very good about fixing their products. You can take them in to any Mac store and they'll try to fix it there or ship it out.

Weighing the pros and cons, I wouldn't want to go pc ever again.

this. try returning your shitty acer laptop to future shop and see what happens.

i thought macs were gay for years until i actually used one. i think most people who bash macs have simply never tried them.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2014, 12:36:26 PM »
yeah, i've gotten used to a mac quickly.  I use both now.  not a bad little system.  I'm sure a super fast amazing one would be better, mines a tad slow, but still, it's pretty nice.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2014, 12:38:52 PM »
I only have one Windows machine in the house, and it's my son's gaming computer that he and I built. Just doing the software maintenance on it takes more time than the 3 Macbooks and 4 Ubuntu servers in the house. Hell, if you add the 3 iPhones and 3 iPads to the mix, the one Windows machine is still more of a PITA.

Of course, it doesn't help that my son hasn't learned to be properly skeptical of much of the shit he sees on gaming sites, so I am constantly tracking down malware.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2014, 12:39:26 PM »
yeah, i've gotten used to a mac quickly.  I use both now.  not a bad little system.  I'm sure a super fast amazing one would be better, mines a tad slow, but still, it's pretty nice.

My last Mac lasted in a completely usable state for a good 5 and 1/2 years...

A Righteous Sort

• Getbig III
  • Magnificent looks, superior memory
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2014, 12:40:20 PM »
The Mac is the better system for bodybuilding.

^this

I've made massive gainz since switching to mac

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2014, 12:47:02 PM »
My last Mac lasted in a completely usable state for a good 5 and 1/2 years...

theyre great for kids, too.  I let mine beat the heck out of the iMac, then use it, and I never worry. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2014, 12:47:50 PM »
theyre great for kids, too.  I let mine beat the heck out of the iMac, then use it, and I never worry. 

The aluminum cases are quite tough.

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2014, 08:36:19 PM »
best laptop ive ever owned got mine in 2011 three years ago and still chugging along despite fucked up glass many dents and a hard drive death (Replaced for free via applecare, defo get this its so worth it saved me 275 dollars when the drive blew up on me)

but for games go pc lol

@esfitness I have excell on my mac its the exact same as on pc plus i got it for free by torrenting it like the shameless tech thief i am lol

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2014, 08:43:29 PM »
I work with both and have been doing so for a good number of years now.

I prefer to work on the MAC whenever possible.

NEVER had a 'bug' problem and when one of my Macs got old and a bit worn out (mainly worn out keyboard)
I simply took it down to the MAC STORE and the keys were replaced within a matter of minutes (free of charge).

ANd when I thought I had a serious MAC problem, I took it to the MAC Store and a swift click on one of the keys set me up so that my MAC would print whatever I said on my computer screen.

Plus the MAC Store offers free daily classes to learn new Mac stuff like a pro and you can always go inside and get an immediate answer to any question that you may have.

You get a ton of Service when you buy a MAC., but when my window units break down ... I'm in  a lot of trouble,

Gayer than taking a computer class, gayer than asking questions about your mac, gayer than having your keys replaced after years of use viewing men in thongs. Gayer than getting "serviced" by the MAC guy...

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2014, 09:26:22 PM »
I only have one Windows machine in the house, and it's my son's gaming computer that he and I built. Just doing the software maintenance on it takes more time than the 3 Macbooks and 4 Ubuntu servers in the house. Hell, if you add the 3 iPhones and 3 iPads to the mix, the one Windows machine is still more of a PITA.

Of course, it doesn't help that my son hasn't learned to be properly skeptical of much of the shit he sees on gaming sites, so I am constantly tracking down malware.

What is your opinion on the utility of a linux system for the stupid common man?

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2014, 09:58:23 PM »
Cool

I think I am going to take this Mac idea for a run. Appreciate all the input.

Back to getbig mode.

and everyone in this thread looks like shit, hth.

;D

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2014, 10:59:20 PM »
best laptop ive ever owned got mine in 2011 three years ago and still chugging along despite fucked up glass many dents and a hard drive death (Replaced for free via applecare, defo get this its so worth it saved me 275 dollars when the drive blew up on me)

but for games go pc lol

@esfitness I have excell on my mac its the exact same as on pc plus i got it for free by torrenting it like the shameless tech thief i am lol

ahh... ok. I'm not 'mac savy' at all. lol... I may begin the switch in jan of next year.. maybe Oct of this year when the 5.5in iphone6 comes out, after that possibly a MacBook pro 15in, and down the road a trio of 24in Imac's for day-trading.