Author Topic: True Adonis, I'm "calling you out"  (Read 5796 times)

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
True Adonis, I'm "calling you out"
« on: May 31, 2014, 10:15:41 PM »
Hummingbird cake tonight! Made it for my boyfriend/our anniversary. I've baked plenty of other things but I've actually never made a cake before. It turned out well, so now my boyfriend doesn't have to leave me for someone else who isn't a fuck up.  ;D

cephissus

• Getbig V
Re: True Adonis, I'm "calling you out"
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 10:31:35 PM »
looks great and immaculate frosting job

first time, no less  :o

MichaelScottDM

• Getbig III
  • I did save a life today! My own!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 11:01:01 PM »
Is that really "milk"?

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 11:01:58 PM »
shit getting real in this thread

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 11:14:41 PM »
Hummingbird cake tonight! Made it for my boyfriend/our anniversary. I've baked plenty of other things but I've actually never made a cake before. It turned out well, so now my boyfriend doesn't have to leave me for someone else who isn't a fuck up.  ;D

Perfection!

Tell me how much you loved it!!!!

I made a Boston Cream Pie this weekend.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 11:16:05 PM »
Hummingbird cake tonight! Made it for my boyfriend/our anniversary. I've baked plenty of other things but I've actually never made a cake before. It turned out well, so now my boyfriend doesn't have to leave me for someone else who isn't a fuck up.  ;D

You are a natural.  Cake is tall as it should be.  Crumb is perfect, no overmixing.  Just perfect!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 11:20:18 PM »

We oughta start a Getbig Baking Club.

I have been going over recipes for a few hours today and actually was reading a cookbook before I saw this thread!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 01:09:33 AM »
The trick is ripping their little beaks off before throwing them in the batter.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 01:38:55 AM »
I'm making strawberry ice cream and mars bar cake later

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 04:28:35 AM »
I'm making strawberry ice cream and mars bar cake later

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 04:39:42 AM »
We oughta start a Getbig Baking Club.

I have been going over recipes for a few hours today and actually was reading a cookbook before I saw this thread!

Cake boy.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 05:33:34 AM »
Looks great!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 05:59:29 AM »
Cake boy.

I bake stuff sometimes.  Is this not allowed?

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 06:01:45 AM »
I bake stuff sometimes.  Is this not allowed?

It's allowed, I just felt like "insulting" him.   ;D 

The only thing I can bake is bread and for that I need one of those bread making contraptions.  ;D

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 06:13:25 AM »
TA, a few things:
-Made sure to use fresh eggs, esp when baking. Target seems to keep their produce and dairy/eggs exceedingly fresh, even in the target I go to (which is in a shitty neighborhood).
-The parchment helped to remove the cake and keep it from sticking, but it made the edges of the cake uneven so I had to use the frosting to even it out
-Cream cheese frosting is very hard to work with....also I would make 20% less frosting next time (that recipe made a LOT).

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 06:15:03 AM »
Quote from: cephissus link=topic=537979.msg7538152#msg7538fro1401600695
looks great and immaculate frosting job

first time, no less  :o

Really that means a lot to me, I was concerned about the frosting not turning out well

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 07:31:02 AM »

The only thing I can bake is bread and for that I need one of those bread making contraptions.  ;D

Hell no!  That IS unacceptable.  The cool thing about baking is that it transforms elemental ingredients into something amazing, so I rank it with traditionally masculine tasks like carpentry, plastering, or steel production.  It's been done throughout human history without a 'magic box.'  Those damn things separate you from the heritage of the endeavour, keep you in the dark about how things work, and generally foster a can't-do sense of accomplishing something basic.  They're a perfect metaphor for the modern world.  So are modern industrial bread factories (in which I've performed building maintenance).  They are production lines of human misery and I refuse to give them $7 for a loaf of their blowing agent filled marshmellow bread.

Fwiw, I'll probably build my own dough sheeter one of these days, just for the hell of it.  I'm not against process equipment provided it doesn't try to isolate the user from the process so that someone else can exploit ignorance for profit, like a mechanic who tells you to never try to understand how your engine works.

One of the best books on the basic physics of baking I've encountered is How Baking Works by Paula Figoni.  It doesn't have a single recipe in it, as I remember.  Strictly theory.  I found a PDF online.  

Not to geek out entirely but the rheology of dough is pretty cool too.  Concrete, ketchup, mayonaise, are all non-Newtonian liquids, but the viscoelasticity of glutinous dough is unique as far as I know, and responsible for western baking practices.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 07:44:53 AM »
TA, a few things:
-Made sure to use fresh eggs, esp when baking. Target seems to keep their produce and dairy/eggs exceedingly fresh, even in the target I go to (which is in a shitty neighborhood).
-The parchment helped to remove the cake and keep it from sticking, but it made the edges of the cake uneven so I had to use the frosting to even it out
-Cream cheese frosting is very hard to work with....also I would make 20% less frosting next time (that recipe made a LOT).

Did you measure by weight?  You should have ended up with just the perfect amount of ingredients.  Throw measuring cups away, they are pretty useless.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 07:46:21 AM »
Hell no!  That IS unacceptable.  The cool thing about baking is that it transforms elemental ingredients into something amazing, so I rank it with traditionally masculine tasks like carpentry, plastering, or steel production.  It's been done throughout human history without a 'magic box.'  Those damn things separate you from the heritage of the endeavour, keep you in the dark about how things work, and generally foster a can't-do sense of accomplishing something basic.  They're a perfect metaphor for the modern world.  So are modern industrial bread factories (in which I've performed building maintenance).  They are production lines of human misery and I refuse to give them $7 for a loaf of their blowing agent filled marshmellow bread.

Fwiw, I'll probably build my own dough sheeter one of these days, just for the hell of it.  I'm not against process equipment provided it doesn't try to isolate the user from the process so that someone else can exploit ignorance for profit, like a mechanic who tells you to never try to understand how your engine works.

One of the best books on the basic physics of baking I've encountered is How Baking Works by Paula Figoni.  It doesn't have a single recipe in it, as I remember.  Strictly theory.  I found a PDF online.  

Not to geek out entirely but the rheology of dough is pretty cool too.  Concrete, ketchup, mayonaise, are all non-Newtonian liquids, but the viscoelasticity of glutinous dough is unique as far as I know, and responsible for western baking practices.

All true but you fail to realize that I look more like Julia Childs than cook like Julia Childs.   ;D  In short.  No ability in the kitchen.   ;D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 07:48:20 AM »

I bake bread every day nearly and the only ingredients you need are Flour, Water, Yeast and Salt.  The only tools you need are your hands and a Dutch Oven or heat proof pot and an oven.  Technique is important.  This is all it takes for an Artisan bread.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 07:51:38 AM »
TA, a few things:

The parchment should be cut only for the bottom and go a little shy of the circle.  It shouldn`t reach up any of the sides.  Put your pan on the parchment paper, trace around it with a pencil and then cut it out, but go a bit inside the line.  Then when done baking and cooling for just a bit, run a plastic knife around the edge gently and then invert.  Should come right out.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 07:52:03 AM »
I bake bread every day nearly and the only ingredients you need are Flour, Water, Yeast and Salt.  The only tools you need are your hands and a Dutch Oven or heat proof pot and an oven.  Technique is important.  This is all it takes for an Artisan bread.

Trust me on this.  Yan can cook.  I can't.  ;D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 07:53:29 AM »
Trust me on this.  Yan can cook.  I can't.  ;D
Trust me on this, you or anyone can easily do it.

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 09:43:42 AM »
Did you measure by weight?  You should have ended up with just the perfect amount of ingredients.  Throw measuring cups away, they are pretty useless.

I didn't measure by weight. I used solid and liquid measuring cups. I'm slowly building my assortment of baking and cooking supplies, so I don't have a scale yet...I REALLY want a stand mixer at one point, but for now my hand mixer will do. Last year I baked with just a fork, so that's already an improvement haha

& I didn't know that about the parchment paper! I was concerned with the cake breaking as I took it out of the pans, so I assumed I was supposed to line the sides, too. Now I know for next time.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 11:47:24 AM »
I'm not a great cake guy but imo don't fuck with baking paper.  Swiping with butter or lard and then sprinkling liberally with with flour and knocking out the excess is a good bondbreaker and how it's been done since forever.  Teflon coated forms of every shape you'd want are common and cheap.

All true but you fail to realize that I look more like Julia Childs than cook like Julia Childs.   ;D  In short.  No ability in the kitchen.   ;D

It's just like anything.  No one is born knowing how to do it. 

That's a another cool thing about baking tho.  It's not like fucking up the foie gras.  Screw it all up and you've probably lost less than a dollar.