Author Topic: Best accountancy software for a small business  (Read 987 times)

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
Best accountancy software for a small business
« on: June 09, 2014, 09:37:15 AM »
I was recently asked to be a silent partner/investor in a small contracting business providing services to a local government agency. The business has already won a 2 year contract and are in final stage negotiations for another contract. I'll be exiting the business within 24 months or join the company full time if the turnover makes it to X per annum. Since the business only have 15k liquidity right now and first payment not expected till August, I was asked to take over accountancy duties till the end of the year when the business would be liquid enough to throw money at a professional accountant. This is purely because I took a semester off Cost And Management Accounting at university ... 12 years ago. Don't remember a thing.

So, asking the business moguls, the giants of the Fortune 500, the titans of industry, the numerous Billionaires of Getbig, from the many MANY accountancy software available,  which one would you recommend for someone with no experience using said software.  Also taking into account customization, ease of use and light maintenance. I also want to be able to use it when I travel for my main job on my work laptop or tablets/phones and have any changes or added data pushed through on all the platforms I'm running it on (which I imagine is standard nowadays)?

Bodybuilding related: I'll wear a tank top when I use the software

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Re: Best accountancy software for a small business
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 09:39:38 AM »
I was recently asked to be a silent partner/investor in a small contracting business providing services to a local government agency. The business has already won a 2 year contract and are in final stage negotiations for another contract. I'll be exiting the business within 24 months or join the company full time if the turnover makes it to X per annum. Since the business only have 15k liquidity right now and first payment not expected till August, I was asked to take over accountancy duties till the end of the year when the business would be liquid enough to throw money at a professional accountant. This is purely because I took a semester off Cost And Management Accounting at university ... 12 years ago. Don't remember a thing.

So, asking the business moguls, the giants of the Fortune 500, the titans of industry, the numerous Billionaires of Getbig, from the many MANY accountancy software available,  which one would you recommend for someone with no experience using said software.  Also taking into account customization, ease of use and light maintenance. I also want to be able to use it when I travel for my main job on my work laptop or tablets/phones and have any changes or added data pushed through on all the platforms I'm running it on (which I imagine is standard nowadays)?

Quickbooks or Peachtree
A

the trainer

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 09:41:30 AM »

Your offer is not attractive enough if you are willing to go naked while using the software on web camera then I am sure getbiggers will send you the best software for free.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 09:42:09 AM »
QuickBooks

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 09:42:41 AM »

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 09:42:58 AM »
Maybe the first time Goodrum has been correct on this forum.Quickbooks is your answer.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 09:46:48 AM »
If Quickbooks is good enough for Vincent Goodrum, it's worth looking into.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 12:14:55 PM »
sage
T

Simple Simon

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 12:16:06 PM »

have you not been found out yet?   ;D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 12:19:08 PM »
When I was a contractor I just had a full time accountant. But I did find this......

http://www.softwareadvice.com/construction/general-contractor-software-comparison/

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 12:19:26 PM »

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 01:34:32 PM »
sage
I hate SAGE with a passion but it does work.

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 03:05:54 PM »
I moved over from SAGE 2 years ago. Having to pay for license, having server needing upgrades, having a guru on contract so I could get remote access, having to have accountant on the premises for a few days at year end to look at data to prepare the reconciled trial balance and thereby statutory balance and P&L, post accrual and prepayment journals etc.........
All these costs add up.

So, I switched to a cloud based system called Liberty Accounts.
http://www.libertyaccounts.com/

Access via internet, no server requirements, data backed up remotely or on your local server. No need for IT guru on call for when your system crashes or upgrades to install when SAGE make changes and your accountant can look in and post year end journals etc from their office so their travel time and cost is reduced.

We found a local accounting firm which had purchased 1000 licenses and got a very low price via them. They in turn do the year end accounts, monthly or quarterly management accounts or whatever because they have instants access to the live time date created when you process your sales, purchases, stock movements, cash receivable or payable etc.  
I have a part time financial processor person but could in theory just have invoices and bank statements sent to them for processing and I can get access to all my data any time in any place in the world with an internet connection.

Compared to using SAGE I would say the total cost is approx. 50% when taking everything into consideration.

Security is always a concern but hackers will have more difficulty hacking their servers than your own local SAGE server. And it's only data transactions anyway so who really gives a fuck who can see it and you always have your local backup as does your accountant if you go through a licensed accounting reseller.

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 08:25:03 PM »
Quickbooks is good but you can get a free one basically with the same functionality at http://meatspin.fr/

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 09:18:43 PM »
Quickbooks is excellant, real shame that there isnt a beefed up version for larger businesses. Easy to train staff with and also hire staff with experience.