Author Topic: No college  (Read 16830 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: No college
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 09:38:28 AM »
I can't justify paying today's asking price for knowledge which is freely available if you're willing to get off your ass.  You don't have to be Will Humping to explore things that interest you.  Also can't justify the cost of the ticket that opens the door to the interview where you're expected to lick their ass so they can overwork & underpay you and sack you on a whim as soon as a cheaper, better ass licker comes along.  A college degree defending you against the 'realities of the market' went out of style in 1973.  And don't you forget it, Worker #45483.

I can't believe that people tolerate and continue to recommend a path which puts the young in debt at 18 and keeps them there more or less forever (student loan, various credit, mortgage, medical at the end).  Like Carlin said: "They'll get it.  They'll get it all."  Blows my simple little mind.

I can't stand the way people, even educators, regard uni as a tool for money making and sell it as such.  It's just glorified trade school anymore.  Individual development is an afterthought, at most.  Never a priority.  Look around.  Philistine mutherfuckers entrenched at all levels.  It's like Invasion of the Education Snatchers out there.  Where's the educated people?  All I see are bored technicians of one kind and another cogging away in the machine and calling it a career.  Not trying to be a dick but it occurs to me that if the table wasn't quite so tilted then people wouldn't obsess about money 24/7 and they'd get to study things of no commercial value whatsoever and we wouldn't have wall-to-wall boring, unhappy bastards.  "The Information Age," they called it, with a straight face.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 09:40:11 AM »
OMR is dead on but college isn't for everyone and there's nothing wrong that. I didn't finish getting my degree but make a nice living doing what I do. Today, college is more about being a business. Tuition goes up every year, added curriculum (useless) to almost every degree just to graduate. Just in the couple of years, for example, you now have to have doctorate to be a physical therapist. It's just another revenue stream for the school.

This being said, most who went to college have all the book smarts in the world but have ZERO commonsense and ZERO street smarts.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 09:42:18 AM »
"never let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

No Patience

• Getbig IV
  • adaptation is the creator of evolution
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 09:44:15 AM »
A lot of people are in successful jobs and make a lot of money but they hate the job and its not what they really want to do but they stay because the money is good, I would never want to live like that I got to love what I am doing, I think if you make enough so you can own a home and a car and put away some savings for retirement and you love the job you will be a lot happier even if you are not a multimillioniare.

Hey buddy, try using a period here and there. Only someone without and education can make one sentence the length of a fucking paragraph.

Just saying....

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »
Maybe ten, fifteen years ago you could still get by without college. I guess if you work doing some type of manual labor you could move up and manage other manual laborers, but even retail expects their managers to have a degree. If you can get into an industry without a degree, of course you'll be able to move up....but to get your foot in the door, a degree is pretty necessary

No Patience

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2014, 09:46:57 AM »
OMR is dead on but college isn't for everyone and there's nothing wrong that. I didn't finish getting my degree but make a nice living doing what I do. Today, college is more about being a business. Tuition goes up every year, added curriculum (useless) to almost every degree just to graduate. Just in the couple of years, for example, you now have to have doctorate to be a physical therapist. It's just another revenue stream for the school.

This being said, most who went to college have all the book smarts in the world but have ZERO commonsense and ZERO street smarts.

"most who went to college"

Where do you get your statistics from? And when you say most, is this 51%, 63.5%, or 99%?

Many uneducated people use the terms always, never, every time without realizing it. They are really just speaking out of their asses.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2014, 09:47:33 AM »
Start a business.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2014, 09:48:12 AM »
I can't justify paying today's asking price for knowledge which is freely available if you're willing to get off your ass.  You don't have to be Will Humping to explore things that interest you.  Also can't justify the cost of the ticket that opens the door to the interview where you're expected to lick their ass so they can overwork & underpay you and sack you on a whim as soon as a cheaper, better ass licker comes along.  A college degree defending you against the 'realities of the market' went out of style in 1973.  And don't you forget it, Worker #45483.

I can't believe that people tolerate and continue to recommend a path which puts the young in debt at 18 and keeps them there more or less forever (student loan, various credit, mortgage, medical at the end).  Like Carlin said: "They'll get it.  They'll get it all."  Blows my simple little mind.

I can't stand the way people, even educators, regard uni as a tool for money making and sell it as such.  It's just glorified trade school anymore.  Individual development is an afterthought, at most.  Never a priority.  Look around.  Philistine mutherfuckers entrenched at all levels.  It's like Invasion of the Education Snatchers out there.  Where's the educated people?  All I see are bored technicians of one kind and another cogging away in the machine and calling it a career.  Not trying to be a dick but it occurs to me that if the table wasn't quite so tilted then people wouldn't obsess about money 24/7 and they'd get to study things of no commercial value whatsoever and we wouldn't have wall-to-wall boring, unhappy bastards.  "The Information Age," they called it, with a straight face.
This is working on your second bottle of fuckin' Merlot-type rage.  

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2014, 09:49:23 AM »
"street smarts" and "common sense" are defensive words used by the stupid to make themselves feel superior to the educated.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2014, 09:50:17 AM »
"most who went to college"

Where do you get your statistics from? And when you say most, is this 51%, 63.5%, or 99%?

Many uneducated people use the terms always, never, every time without realizing it. They are really just speaking out of their asses.

Sounds like you're trying to sound educated by throwing out the "show me the statistics". This is where the commonsense comes in. But if you want to throw a number out, I'd go with more than 50%...easy!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2014, 09:51:41 AM »
"street smarts" and "common sense" are defensive words used by the stupid to make themselves feel superior to the educated.

As opposed to being coddled by their parents who never taught them the basics of survival?

No Patience

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2014, 09:53:55 AM »
I will agree that many financially successful people did not go to college. This is no reason to promote it because statistically there is no comparison. Go through the local trailer parks and see how many of those people have educations past high school. How about the McDonald's employees crying about their $8/hr pay? Likely no education.

I have done well for myself having an Associates Degree. I went back, on my employers dime, and completed a Bachelor's Degree in Business Management. During the last year of my degree completion I received a 54% pay increase due to my education and experience.

This is not the case for everyone but I will be promoting higher education to both of my kids.

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
  • Die Weltgeschichte ist das Weltgericht
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2014, 09:55:19 AM »
Re: No College (esp. 'the education system is nothing but a rip off')

While various forms of social advancement correlate to high academic achievement (vide, e.g., our very own Voodoo Vincenzo, CSN MFT, Dry Anal Gappa), one does not need a college degree or highfalutin credentials to attain conventional measures of success.

However, having said that:

Statistically: You're committing sampling bias.
Logically: You're committing a fallacy of composition.
Socially: You're ill-equipped to hold your own in intelligent, well-educated company.

Getbigically: Your reasoning is flawless. Carry on.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2014, 09:55:38 AM »
Sounds like you're trying to sound educated by throwing out the "show me the statistics". This is where the commonsense comes in. But if you want to throw a number out, I'd go with more than 50%...easy!

case in point. here we have a man in his... 30s? 40s? who did not finish college. this means he spent between one and three years in college but did not finish.

this means, therefore, that he spent between 13 and 15 years in education, and believes that those who spent 16 years in education lack the "street smarts" and "common sense" that he attained. this means that our dear coach believes that at some point during that year or two he was not in school he was imbued with all the world's smarts that are unavailable to those who were in a university between the ages of 20 and 22.

in other words, a 40 year old man only has common sense if he was not in school between 18 and 22. after all, before that, we were ALL in school, and after that, none of us were. so the only reason coach has "street smarts" and "common sense" is that he was out of school during that magic window wherein the "common sense" and "street smarts" of the world present themselves.

alternate theory: coach is full of shit.

occam's razor, take your pick.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2014, 09:55:59 AM »
This is working on your second bottle of fuckin' Merlot-type rage.  

Painfully sober tonight, I'm afraid.  You knows us blue collas.  It's an abserantstant state!

No Patience

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2014, 09:58:14 AM »

You seem to have done well for yourself Coach, but that does not mean the average person without a degree will ever do that. And throwing out 50% is just your assumption based on nothing factual.

From previous threads, you have shown many times that you do not believe or care about facts...hence your belief in sky-fairies, taking Fox News as factual, etc.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2014, 09:59:21 AM »
As opposed to being coddled by their parents who never taught them the basics of survival?

just out of curiosity, when was the last time you found yourself hunting buffalo across the plains? have you survived on your own ever in your life? do you grow your own crops and hunt your own meat? did you make your own clothing? is your generator hand cranked? how are you online right now? is this all built and maintained by you personally?

you can't "survive" any more than the educated people you're decrying. sadly, what you ARE is a sad little man who has had his mind poisoned by the right-wing propaganda that hopes to make you feel that the educated elite are really just poofy eggheads and that you're part of the gritty hard-working "real America" that knows how the world REALLY works.

it's rather obvious you never finished college. your critical thinking skills are catastrophically low.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2014, 10:01:31 AM »
Here's the key to a college education.... (Very Simple)

Pick a career path that has a substantial demand in the workforce and that has proven security.

Medicine (Doctor, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Dentists, Pharmacists, Podiatrists, Nurses, Chiros etc.)

Business (Accountants)

Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical etc.)

Law (Lawyers practicing law in the most demanding areas)

Education (Teachers, regardless of age, Professor track would be nice, but early education is just as good)

You get the idea. Stick to a career-path that has a very high demand in society and you should graduate with decent-good work prospect and with a set path to not only pay off your loans, but also attaining financial independence.

If you have the financial support from wealthy parents, maybe even a trust fund in place, go ahead and knock yourself out getting a degree in Art, Political Science (those that don't go to Law School), Marketing, Philosophy, Sociology, Literature, Acting etc. (Feel free to add more to that list)

It's a hard economy. You either go with a tried and proven career track or don't waste your money and future at an expensive college. There are always state and city colleges that will provide you with a solid education at a fraction of the cost of big name universities.

Best of luck,

"1"

Good post but I would take exception with lawyers. It's a saturated field and for every certified trial millionaire attorney there are hundreds of attorneys working like dogs for 75K. I do agree if college is your route then make sure that diploma makes you employable in a field.

Like I said in my previous post people who have a college degree who hire for even menial jobs are looking to hire college grads. It's the high school diploma of the past. Is it really necessary to have a college diploma to rent cars to customers? One major chain won't hire you without it. Just insane.

I would never put down the intelligence of someone on the basis of a college degree. Also there is a huge difference between in the brains required to get a degree in the sciences as opposed to liberal arts.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2014, 10:05:37 AM »
I did not go to college in fact I did not even do great in high school cause I had no interest, the funny thing is  now I am making more money then a lot of my friends who went to college and  got their degrees, now they are stuck with student loans that they got to pay off while I am debt free, the education system is nothing but a rip off.

only because you live in some podunk town without any real industry, try surviving in a competitive environment without any education

the trainer

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »
Hey buddy, try using a period here and there. Only someone without and education can make one sentence the length of a fucking paragraph.

Just saying....

The proper way to say it is Only someone without an education, now if you had some education you would know how to write english properly.

Just saying.............

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2014, 10:19:09 AM »
You seem to have done well for yourself Coach, but that does not mean the average person without a degree will ever do that. And throwing out 50% is just your assumption based on nothing factual.

From previous threads, you have shown many times that you do not believe or care about facts...hence your belief in sky-fairies, taking Fox News as factual, etc.

Look, I am by no means down on higher education and watching the kids that I train (some since they were 8-9) go off to college and graduate makes me a little envious that I should have done more with mine especially when I walk onto a university campus, which is frequently. But a the same time I see that if they were out on their own without the help of the parents, they would be lost. I'm talking about the basics..washing cloths, maintaining a car, folding clothes, cleaning an apartment, not remembering shit, paying a bill, getting a job and basically not knowing the fundamentals of life. I know they're young but there are things that cannot be learned in any school.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2014, 10:20:28 AM »
only because you live in some podunk town without any real industry, try surviving in a competitive environment without any education

I prefer life in the podunk town, thanks very much.

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2014, 10:24:07 AM »
I did not go to college in fact I did not even do great in high school cause I had no interest, the funny thing is  now I am making more money then a lot of my friends who went to college and  got their degrees, now they are stuck with student loans that they got to pay off while I am debt free, the education system is nothing but a rip off.

That's right bro!  Who needs an education when you are president of orgasm nation?! Amirite?

THP

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2014, 10:25:24 AM »
just out of curiosity, when was the last time you found yourself hunting buffalo across the plains? have you survived on your own ever in your life? do you grow your own crops and hunt your own meat? did you make your own clothing? is your generator hand cranked? how are you online right now? is this all built and maintained by you personally?

you can't "survive" any more than the educated people you're decrying. sadly, what you ARE is a sad little man who has had his mind poisoned by the right-wing propaganda that hopes to make you feel that the educated elite are really just poofy eggheads and that you're part of the gritty hard-working "real America" that knows how the world REALLY works.

it's rather obvious you never finished college. your critical thinking skills are catastrophically low.

Case in point here. A college grad with no commonsense and obviously no comprehension skills. 

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2014, 10:26:22 AM »
"Street smarts" oh brother