Author Topic: RIP Bob Welch  (Read 3348 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
RIP Bob Welch
« on: June 10, 2014, 01:52:35 PM »
Only 57, sad.

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: RIP Bob Welch
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 02:35:30 PM »
Seems some of the younger retired baseball players are starting to die. Wonder if it has anything to do with amphetamine abuse during their carrers?

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 04:55:49 PM »
Welcome to June 2012.

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 06:12:47 PM »
Seems some of the younger retired baseball players are starting to die. Wonder if it has anything to do with amphetamine abuse during their carrers?

Greenies

Also due to the fact that people who make it all the way to pro sports live intense lives and burn out quicker than most

the anabolic mon

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 06:53:32 PM »
I don't take kindly to disrespect. not on the internet, not in person, not in a grocery store parking lot, not in like at walmart, not in a restaurant, not at the beach, not at the dry cleaners... anywhere.

ppl talk about the 'pussyfication' of America, yet they run their mouths thinking they won't get slapped and get their arm broken in front of their friends.

spent many yrs in a place where if you talk slick and say something out of line to somebody, you know that when you say it, you better be ready for what happens. most ppl here in the 'real world', aren't ready for what could happen.. and run their mouths like the world is a make believe cartoon. despite wearing nice slacks, polished shoes and a nice shirt, the guy you steal that parking spot from at the grocery store and proceed to flip off, may have just gotten out of prison and will have no problem identifying they bitch in you and proceed to teach you a lesson by taking you down to the ground and kicking out your teeth before you even know what happened.

the guy who's willing to go the furthest, wins. if you're not willing to go all the way, it's best you keep your mouth shut and move on, and make it to the next day.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 09:23:27 PM »
27 Wins in 1990.  Bad ass.  RIP.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 10:49:59 PM »
Class act. I'm a lifelong dodger fan and he was always One of my favorites. PIP

Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 01:22:57 AM »
R.I.P.  :'(

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »
Class act. I'm a lifelong dodger fan and he was always One of my favorites. PIP

Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....

The Reggie World Series strikeout was epic.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 12:03:19 PM »
Bingo. I know wins aren't always what they're cracked up to be. And he played on an amazing team with an amazing rotation you couldn't hit around (Stewart, Eckersley saving the game) and some solid firepower at the plate to put up runs.

But still...27 wins. It's the most wins by any pitcher since the WWII era. It might be a while before that's matched or exceeded.

As stats go, it may not be as relevant as K's and walks and groundballs vs flyballs. But it's still quite amazing to consider what he did with that team. Interestingly enough, he never topped 20 wins before or after.

Wow, didn't realize that. Seems three others have also hit 27 since WWII: Newcombe ('56), Koufax ('66), and Carlton ('72). Pretty damn amazing.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 12:03:34 PM »
PIP

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 12:17:54 PM »
I know! Koufax and Carleton...you could do a lot worse than being mentioned in the same breath as those two.

This is what I remember him for mostly. 36 f'n years ago, I watched it live. He was only 21. Historical at bat.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 12:43:07 PM »
Welcome to June 2012.

You're thinking of the singer (Ebony Eyes, Sentimental Lady)
~