Author Topic: Partially tore my pec, worst fear come true  (Read 5069 times)

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
Re: Partially tore my pec, worst fear come true
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 05:14:09 PM »
I heard the slightest pop while benching and not warmed up properly about 8 months ago. It was sore and slightly torn, my first little tear ever. Felt shit for 2 weeks then was fine and I went back and popped it again. Duh.

It's ok now and I'm benching back big again but it hurts a little sometimes and I warm up more. I'm hoping it's not there long-term and it doesn't really effect my appearance I can only imagine TEARING it BAD.

Considering giving up benching and doing inclines and shoulder pressing in future...

Seems to me that this is a serious injury waiting to happen.  Try doing DB presses instead.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2014, 05:21:53 PM »
I heard the slightest pop while benching and not warmed up properly about 8 months ago. It was sore and slightly torn, my first little tear ever. Felt shit for 2 weeks then was fine and I went back and popped it again. Duh.

It's ok now and I'm benching back big again but it hurts a little sometimes and I warm up more. I'm hoping it's not there long-term and it doesn't really effect my appearance I can only imagine TEARING it BAD.

Considering giving up benching and doing inclines and shoulder pressing in future...

Dave,

Think about it - you felt it EIGHT MONTHS ago and it still hurts.   That's long term in an of itself, and means it hasn't healed.  I would do no pressing movement whatsoever, and just hit legs and stuff for a month.  You will look no different.  Gotta be patient with this stuff.
Y

irishdave

• Getbig V
  • It ain’t over ‘TIL it’s over
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 05:55:08 PM »
You're right, lads - taken on board. I'll lay off bench for a while but keep shoulders in 'cos that's no issue

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 06:18:54 PM »
I've seen someone tear a pec doing paused inclines with great form, they're just as dangerous as bench - the only 'safety' comes from the slightly lighter weight used

DB presses are a much smarter idea, but DB floor presses done with one arm are pretty much the safest pressing exercise you can do. It would be almost impossible to tear a pec doing these unless you flared out your elbows like an idiot or pushed into failure and lost control.

I lift with total control and slow reps but I still tore my pec muscle last year stretching while massively fatigued and dehydrated at the end of a workout. It was only a minor tear but since then I don't use the barbell for anything, dropped dips and machine pressing. All can chew up your shoulders and pec tendons over the long haul.

I have a little cocktail wiener looking fascial tear in my left pec - in the middle from where I tore the fascia years ago.. when the pec gets pumped up, this lump pops out like a little hernia or alien. I wish I'd learned 15 years ago to lift with control at all times :(

Rhomboids

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 09:44:28 PM »
SEE A DOCTOR ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had been seeing a sports medicine doctor for a herniated disc.  I saw him for this and just had a follow up yesterday.  He says there's no need for surgery given that it's a minor tear.  I have a little lump on my left pec from the muscle having rolled a little.  When i flex it it's not horrible.  Like the tear levrone had i would say. 

I'm staying off bench for now and when i get back it'll be hammer benches probably.  I never go heavy on BB bench press and always did it after inclines.  I had been as careful as possible doing chest.  Shit happens apparently. 

I've been taking some pro-hormones supplement and i really don't need to train heavy.  I get a crazy pump with light weights, but the next day i don't feel live i've grown.  But i gotta get over that and just focus on shape and above average size. 

Thanks for the support though.