Author Topic: Megalodan eats 9 foot great white shark???  (Read 25055 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: Megalodan eats 9 foot great white shark???
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2014, 01:12:07 AM »
Think this was the pic Brody came across in Jaws. Proportions based on a few fossilized teeth, probably a bit exaggerated.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2014, 10:04:51 PM »
http://www.nerdist.com/2014/07/its-official-a-massive-shark-probably-ate-the-missing-great-white/

It’s Official: A Massive Shark (Probably) Ate The Missing Great White

Four months after filmmaker Dave Riggs and a research team tagged a 9-foot (3-meter) female great white shark off Australia’s coast, the animal vanished. The tracking tag turned up— it recorded the animal’s position, depth in the water, and the ambient water temperature as if nothing had happened. Riggs found it two and a half miles from where the large female was first tagged, but without the shark attached. What happened to her? According to a recent documentary that premiered on the Smithsonian Channel last week, she was eaten.

The female great white disappeared in 2003, and in the intervening 11 years researchers have been speculating as to what could have eaten such a large ocean predator. The smoking gun evidence of predation was a peculiar temperature change that the tag recorded all those years ago. Data from the large female initially looked normal, with the shark descending and the tag recording the surrounding water temperature. Then, at around 2,000 feet (610 meters) below the surface, the recorded temperature increased dramatically from 46°F to 78°F (7°C to 25°C). A temperature at that depth could only come from the tag being inside another animal, an animal big enough to kill and eat a 9-foot great white shark.

In the Smithsonian documentary that aired on June 25th, Riggs and a team of researchers concluded that it was probably another great white that devoured their tagged female. “The internal temperature of the animal that ate the shark is a weird one. It appears to be too low for a killer whale and too high for another shark, unless it was massive,” Riggs explained. If it was another great white, Riggs speculates, it would have to be huge.

To be clear, the researchers don’t know for sure what caused the huge temperature shift their tag recorded, and an unusually massive great white is only one possible answer, not necessarily the correct one. Some researchers think it is more likely that an orca—orcas are known to kill and eat great whites—ingested chilled seawater along with the tag to produce the data that astounded Riggs. Additionally, cannibalism is common among great whites, but that predation most often occurs before birth in a shark-eat-shark womb war zone. Even so, as the majority of great white sharks recorded have been much larger than the disappeared female, the simplest answer could be a great white attack. The mystery of the vanished great white is still informed speculation at this point.

“The big shark scenario is the theory that is most widely accepted although I’ve noticed a lot of other creatures being suggested online–I don’t think that Godzilla is a possibility though!”

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2014, 10:06:50 PM »
http://www.nerdist.com/2014/07/its-official-a-massive-shark-probably-ate-the-missing-great-white/

Four months after filmmaker Dave Riggs and a research team tagged a 9-foot (3-meter) female great white shark off Australia’s coast, the animal vanished. The tracking tag turned up— it recorded the animal’s position, depth in the water, and the ambient water temperature as if nothing had happened. Riggs found it two and a half miles from where the large female was first tagged, but without the shark attached. What happened to her? According to a recent documentary that premiered on the Smithsonian Channel last week, she was eaten.

The female great white disappeared in 2003, and in the intervening 11 years researchers have been speculating as to what could have eaten such a large ocean predator. The smoking gun evidence of predation was a peculiar temperature change that the tag recorded all those years ago. Data from the large female initially looked normal, with the shark descending and the tag recording the surrounding water temperature. Then, at around 2,000 feet (610 meters) below the surface, the recorded temperature increased dramatically from 46°F to 78°F (7°C to 25°C). A temperature at that depth could only come from the tag being inside another animal, an animal big enough to kill and eat a 9-foot great white shark.

In the Smithsonian documentary that aired on June 25th, Riggs and a team of researchers concluded that it was probably another great white that devoured their tagged female. “The internal temperature of the animal that ate the shark is a weird one. It appears to be too low for a killer whale and too high for another shark, unless it was massive,” Riggs explained. If it was another great white, Riggs speculates, it would have to be huge.

To be clear, the researchers don’t know for sure what caused the huge temperature shift their tag recorded, and an unusually massive great white is only one possible answer, not necessarily the correct one. Some researchers think it is more likely that an orca—orcas are known to kill and eat great whites—ingested chilled seawater along with the tag to produce the data that astounded Riggs. Additionally, cannibalism is common among great whites, but that predation most often occurs before birth in a shark-eat-shark womb war zone. Even so, as the majority of great white sharks recorded have been much larger than the disappeared female, the simplest answer could be a great white attack. The mystery of the vanished great white is still informed speculation at this point.

“The big shark scenario is the theory that is most widely accepted although I’ve noticed a lot of other creatures being suggested online–I don’t think that Godzilla is a possibility though!”

Eh.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2014, 10:24:15 PM »
so if they tag a shark, the tag is the size of the entire shark right? i mean it is not a little tag the size of something that fits in your hand right? I mean how else would they come to the conclusion that the shark had to be eaten?  ::)

Bunch of fucken idiots

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2014, 11:00:41 PM »

Misleading title.. I read the whole thing. Just rehash of previous information and speculation again.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2014, 06:04:31 AM »
last year i was in matawan creek near the jersey shore to see where the 1916 shark attacks happened, they say a 10ft great white came up a tidal creek n killed a 12 yr old boy (lester stillwell)as well as a adult named (stanley fisher). for those of u like myself who are shark fanatics i recommend u read up on that story about the 1916 attacks on the jersey shore, its a very interesting story to say the least. theres a book out called (12 DAYS OF TERROR) its all about the attacks
R

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2014, 06:08:42 AM »
last year i was in matawan creek near the jersey shore to see where the 1916 shark attacks happened, they say a 10ft great white came up a tidal creek n killed a 12 yr old boy (lester stillwell)as well as a adult named (stanley fisher). for those of u like myself who are shark fanatics i recommend u read up on that story about the 1916 attacks on the jersey shore, its a very interesting story to say the least. theres a book out called (12 DAYS OF TERROR) its all about the attacks
great white or Bull Shark? Bull sharks are known for going up stream as they are adapted for both salt water and fresh/brackish water.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2014, 06:42:20 AM »
great white or Bull Shark? Bull sharks are known for going up stream as they are adapted for both salt water and fresh/brackish water.

parker u asked an interesting question thats been puzzling scientists for the last 100yrs, no one knows for sure. alot of people argue that a great white cant go into fresh water so it had to b a bull shark, but 100yrs ago that creek was alot wider n they said the saline levels where much higher,it was also high tide n a full moon which meant the water in creek was really salty, they caught a great white shark near the creak 3 days later with 15 lbs of human flesh in its stomach n human bone fragments in its stomach also. this summer when SHARK WEEK comes on check it out they will talk about it, im sure u will enjoy it,its really interesting
R

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2014, 06:46:08 AM »
parker u asked an interesting question thats been puzzling scientists for the last 100yrs, no one knows for sure. alot of people argue that a great white cant go into fresh water so it had to b a bull shark, but 100yrs ago that creek was alot wider n they said the saline levels where much higher,it was also high tide n a full moon which meant the water in creek was really salty, they caught a great white shark near the creak 3 days later with 15 lbs of human flesh in its stomach n human bone fragments in its stomach also. this summer when SHARK WEEK comes on check it out they will talk about it, im sure u will enjoy it,its really interesting
Thanks. Didn't know that info. I will check it out.

Sam

• Getbig IV
  • I just shoot the bastards.....Thats my policy!
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2014, 09:58:14 AM »

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2014, 11:15:42 AM »

This was Benchley's inspiration for Jaws, I've heard. I thought they had decided on bulls, though, but from your subsequent post, I see it's still being debated. Just don't see a 10-foot juvenile white capable of such carnage. A bull (or bulls, more likely), absolutely.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2014, 01:13:18 PM »
This was Benchley's inspiration for Jaws, I've heard. I thought they had decided on bulls, though, but from your subsequent post, I see it's still being debated. Just don't see a 10-foot juvenile white capable of such carnage. A bull (or bulls, more likely), absolutely.

it was so cool being at the actuall spot hese attacks took place, I had pictures of the creek at time of attacks in 1916 n the creek n its surroundings haven't changed much,the only difference was the wykoff dock was pretty much gone except for some pilings that where rotted out. I stood there n in my mind I tried to imagine what it mustve been like when everything was going on, im picturing all the townspeople down by the creek with dynamite n spears screaming n the seeing Stanley fisher,the man who was trying to recover the body of the first shark attack victim at creek lester Stillwell, they say Stanley was diving in creek looking for boys remains when a huge shark came and grabbed fisher n spun him around like a rag doll n tore a huge chunk outta his thigh, fisher died on way to hospital from blood loss. then the shark went upstream to make its way back to the river n bit off another kids calf named joseph dunn,he survived tho
R

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2014, 10:44:28 PM »
The tables get turned...

Goliath grouper swallows shark in one gulp, fishermen nearly crap themselves

http://guyism.com/sports/goliath-grouper-swallows-shark.html

Here we see several a$$hole fishermen playing with their catch, and end up getting a juvenile shark killed. All in all, this video was pretty awesome.

Would the shark have lived they just pulled it out of the water, unhooked it, and set it free? Probably. But that’s not what happened…what happened is they let it swim in circles, only to have life extinguished in one massive gulp from the largest of all groupers: the Goliath Grouper. The action heats up around the :30 mark

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2014, 11:34:37 PM »
Only 2 days ago cops shot ( >:()  the 4.5 m (14.7 ft) crock, after it killed a man fishing on Adelaide river (Northern Territory/AU).

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2014, 04:57:31 AM »

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2014, 05:25:30 AM »

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2014, 09:24:01 AM »

It is possible all 5 attacks were not done by the same shark; the 3 creek attacks almost certainly were the same shark, and it was most likely a bull shark...but the juvenile white they caught later at sea with the human stuff inside could have been the shark that killed the 2 swimmers at sea in the days before, and not the shark in matawan creek

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2014, 10:37:46 AM »
im really into the whole shark thing, just watched shark week n loved it. i believe in the megalodan, them things are alive n well in the depths of the ocean
R

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2014, 11:30:11 AM »

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2014, 01:36:52 PM »
It is possible all 5 attacks were not done by the same shark; the 3 creek attacks almost certainly were the same shark, and it was most likely a bull shark...but the juvenile white they caught later at sea with the human stuff inside could have been the shark that killed the 2 swimmers at sea in the days before, and not the shark in matawan creek

i hear u but what r the odds that the shark that killed charles bruder and charles vansant in spring lake and beach haven would just happen to b by the tip of matawan creek in the bay? i guess anythings possible tho
R

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2014, 04:45:23 PM »
The fact that this article mentions megalodon makes the source suspect. There's a simple explanation here that's been overlooked or ignored.

So you're saying an orca swallowed a 9 foot great white whole?

Orca's have bitten great whites and severely messed them up but eating the whole thing in one bite....? No...

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2014, 06:07:22 PM »
So you're saying an orca swallowed a 9 foot great white whole?

Orca's have bitten great whites and severely messed them up but eating the whole thing in one bite....? No...

No, not saying that, was that what happened here, eaten whole? Read the comments is all.

So you're saying megalodon?

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2014, 06:22:35 PM »
 Megalodon  /thread   8)

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2014, 07:06:22 PM »
No, not saying that, was that what happened here, eaten whole? Read the comments is all.

So you're saying megalodon?

Nope, just saying definitely not orca.

Unless there is some 20'+ orca out there that can swallow a great white whole then drop 2000 feet deep , which isn't likely. Orca's do not get that big.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2014, 08:37:23 PM »
Nope, just saying definitely not orca.

Unless there is some 20'+ orca out there that can swallow a great white whole then drop 2000 feet deep , which isn't likely. Orca's do not get that big.

Orcas grow over 30 feet, bro. Not saying one could swallow a white whole, but it certainly wasn't an extinct dinosaur. What does that leave us?

I'm guessing the whole story is bullshit, or their "facts" simply aren't accurate.