Author Topic: Anyone ever blow a hemi?  (Read 2371 times)

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
Re: Anyone ever blow a hemi?
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 08:25:43 AM »
Is blowing a hemi the same as shitting on the chestchassis of fitness whores?

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 08:38:40 AM »
Go with a Kenne Bell. MOPAR magazine has many articles on this kit. Several You Tube dyno videos. I rode in a KB blown Jeep Hemi. Freaking scary.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 01:30:04 PM »
An older "426 Hemi"  yes.....(back in the early 80's cars from the late sixties/70's were still available and fairly cheap) I bought a 1970 RoadRunner Super Bird for $800.00 (blown 440 in it) put a 426 Hemi in it proceeded to "throw" a piston rod/blow up the engine drag racing
(here are some of the cars I owned) 

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 01:33:47 PM »
An older "426 Hemi"  yes.....(back in the early 80's cars from the late sixties/70's were still available and fairly cheap) I bought a 1970 RoadRunner Super Bird for $800.00 (blown 440 in it) put a 426 Hemi in it proceeded to "throw" a piston rod/blow up the engine drag racing
That 442 Olds looks scary to me Mike.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2014, 01:40:24 PM »
nope.

blew a 5.9L Magnum though... using the accelerator button on the cruise control no less.  :-\

... looking back, I should've "lost control" of the truck and totaled it and blamed it on oil on the tires or something. lol... taken the full coverage insurance payout instead of a total loss. oh well. live and learn. lol

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2014, 01:43:20 PM »
That 442 Olds looks scary to me Mike.
That was a sweet ride!  (who could have predicted the Muscle Car Market would take off like it has/I would have held on to a few of them) altho I must add these cars where meant to be driven not "Collected" and hidden away in some old guys garage who dust's it everyday with a baby diaper
also owned a 1969 SS 396 Chevelle,a 1970 Roadrunner ("air-grabber hood scoop")  etc etc
here is a picture taken in "81"On my "73" Road Runner that's me sitting on the trunk closest to the sidewalk,my girlfriend and her cousin George,was in the local Gloucester Mass paper with the caption "Girl Watchers watch"  lol  * also I never owned/bought an automatic car....all were 4-speed cars

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2014, 01:54:12 PM »
That was a sweet ride!  (who could have predicted the Muscle Car Market would take off like it has/I would have held on to a few of them) altho I must add these cars where meant to be driven not "Collected" and hidden away in some old guys garage who dust's it everyday with a baby diaper
also owned a 1969 SS 396 Chevelle,a 1970 Roadrunner ("air-grabber hood scoop")  etc etc
here is a picture taken in "81"On my "73" Road Runner that's me sitting on the trunk closest to the sidewalk,my girlfriend and her cousin George,was in the local Gloucester Mass paper with the caption "Girl Watchers watch"  lol  * also I never owned/bought an automatic car....all were 4-speed cars
Cool stuff. Richard Petty won alot of races in a Plymouth they had the strongest engines back then.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 02:39:43 PM »
Cool stuff. Richard Petty won alot of races in a Plymouth they had the strongest engines back then.
yes they set records!  (I love old muscle car mopars and Chevy's!) 

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 02:59:32 PM »

Probably a million ways to throw a rod but I saw a cool series on Youtube (no Falcon) where the guy claimed that the vast majority of rod failures were from shearing of the screws that coupled the rod big end to the crank.  His recommendation, as I remember, was basiclly to use top grade screws.  There's probably some torque test or means of establishing the suitability of the thread fit as well.

Petes Hotrods.  I'm not a car guy but I thought his vids were great.  He even talked about timing cams for drag.  I never knew why dragsters sounded so rough at idle.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 05:41:56 PM »

38-26-40

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 09:03:58 PM »
The first page of this thread is hilarious! Second page gets too manly. But I'm lol'ing  ;D

BOW

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2014, 09:24:55 PM »

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2014, 04:10:59 AM »
My wife's truck is a Durango R/T, and the way she drives it, I think she's gonna blow that Hemi from time to time.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2014, 07:08:45 AM »
My wife's truck is a Durango R/T, and the way she drives it, I think she's gonna blow that Hemi from time to time.
No female has ever "blown a Hemi"/unless She forgot to put oil in it ..

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2014, 08:05:07 AM »
Drive a HEMI everyday.... It has yet to blow me ;D

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2014, 08:14:36 AM »
No female has ever "blown a Hemi"/unless She forgot to put oil in it ..

If I wasn't around to monitor such things, that would be a distinct possibility.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2014, 08:40:29 AM »
While I've only done minor car repairs, I believe blowing a seal(gasket) would be preferable to throwing a rod as the latter requires an engine rebuild; the former, removing the cylinder head and replacing the gasket.