Author Topic: On Bruce Lee  (Read 7295 times)

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
Re: On Bruce Lee
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2014, 04:54:47 AM »
that chick has some fatass arms

Hopefully a phat ass too

Alucard

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2014, 10:29:58 AM »
Classic idolatry... Show me just ONE proof that he was a legit fighter and not only an actor and MA enthusiast, just one...

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2014, 10:33:46 AM »
He had alot of streetfights in Hong Kong

Also got challenged regularly on set by people who wanted to test him and didn't think he was special

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 10:43:13 AM »

Also got challenged regularly on set by people who wanted to test him and didn't think he was special
Chuck Norris was world champion at the time he and Bruce had fights on and of screen all the time. Chuck Norris said  Bruce  Lee kicked his ass like no other fighter ever. No one hit harder and faster then Lee.
Norris said thats where the roundhouse kick came from. Him gettn kicked in the head and missing lee.

Alucard

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2014, 10:46:48 AM »

That's the classic hearsay that fuel the myth... Challenged on set and not one single recording of what happened, funny stuff... I also had some "streetfights" when i was in school, does that make me a fighter? Hell no... Don't believe this stuff, he was an actor, not a fighter...

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2014, 10:49:20 AM »
That's the classic hearsay that fuel the myth... Challenged on set and not one single recording of what happened, funny stuff... I also had some "streetfights" when i was in school, does that make me a fighter? Hell no... Don't believe this stuff, he was an actor, not a fighter...
it was 1968.! I don't think they had Tapout shirts back then

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »
it was 1968.! I don't think they had Tapout shirts back then

Yep, no one ever tackled anyone.  Street fights consisted of lighting fast camera zooms, intense facial expressions, and feline noises.

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2014, 10:57:17 AM »
He'd kick your ass
Hahahaha! He really would ! Don't worry mine too. Its fucking Bruce lee !!

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2014, 11:04:01 AM »

Not hearsay at all.

I was there.

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2014, 11:11:10 AM »
Not hearsay at all.

I was there.
8) 8)!

Whiskey

• Getbig III
  • Team Billy Of Peace
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2014, 11:26:50 AM »

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2014, 11:30:49 AM »

Its not hearsay - its from credible witnesses who were actually there. A recording? Yeah cause everyone back then had camera phones and filmed everything that happened. ::).

One of the most bizarre asumptions people tend to make is they view movie fights as though thats how a martial artist would actually fight in real life. Acrobatics, squaring off, taunts etc. When filmed martial artists often overexaggerate everything for the camera. Kicks are fancier and done slower to look more impressive for the camera.

Bruce pointed out several times that no one fights for real like they do in a camera. A real fight is nasty brutish and doesnt involve fancy moves. Van damme once stated that he'd never do his camera style moves when he actually competed. Chuck Norris was another guy who echoed the same sentiment.  Maybe you think bruce would start a real fight with a stance, pause a few seconds to glower at his opponent and frequently make yipping sounds when he threw a punch or kick. Yeah thats how he really throws down right?

That was one the fundamentals of bruce Lee's research and practice into fighting - how to finish off your opponent off as quickly and directly as possible. Bruce lee learned martial arts specifically because he was losing as many fights as he won in hong kong. He was part of a gang in hong kong and gangs usually squared off against each other constantly He chose wing chun because it was the most direct and efficient style he could find at the time. He later evolved it to add boxing, wrestling, thai kickboxing, basically anything that helped to win a fight. He was the real deal. He was a fighter who got into acting. Not the other way around. Same as chuck norris, van damme, and several others. He also trained world champions lime Joe Lewis and chuck Norris.

Go ask some old school genuine fighters like bob wall, bill wallace, blinky rodriguez, jeff Smith or benny urquidez if he was a fake and watch them laugh at your ignorance. Look at some of the interviews done with gene la belle, a real old school wrestler,tough guy and stuntman. Gene said many times that bruce is the real deal.

Movie fights are exaggerated for your entertainment. Oddly enought before bruce Lee movies old kung fu movies had even more exaggerated flowery style fighting and the reason bruce lee movies became popular was because audiences thought  that the fights in big boss looked more real than anything they had seen in the past. Thats what catapulted him to fame.Martial arts movies have evolved again to the popularity of MMA. Now you see armbars, triangles etc making their appearance in movies in order to keep up with reality.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2014, 11:31:19 AM »
Some new pics of Alucard

When wearing a Tapout-shirt isn't enough

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2014, 11:38:08 AM »
Some new pics of Alucard

Hahaha

The tapout founders were sponsoring mma fighters back when there were very few sponsors and mma was considered illegal. Its unfortunate that their brand is now associated with wannabes.

Submissionfytr

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2014, 10:56:14 PM »
Remember, Bruce in all his writings, speeches and training protocols demanded the necessitated need for full contact sparring with safety equipment such as the specially designed equiptment, both hybrid Boxing  gloves with fingers were used as well as footpads or shinguards. He consistently spoke about this, assuring that hundred percent contact and intensity was more realistic with protective gear and rules protecting the groin and eye gouge, then the supposedly deadly martial artists, who did the techniques that you can only execute without full speed or power, with a cooperating opponent.

However, Bruce never practiced what he preached and 2 top true fighters of his time (Chuck Norris and Joe Lewis) were made to appear to be his students, but both of them claimed it was a more of a mutual training and sharing of ideas. But most tellingly, both especially Joe Louis stated that Bruce refused to everRemember, Bruce in all his writings, speeches and training protocols demanded the necessitated need for full contact sparring with safety equipment such as the specially designed equiptment, both hybrid Boxing  gloves with fingers were used as well as footpads or shinguards. He consistently spoke about this, assuring that hundred percent intensity was more realistic with protective gear and rules protecting the groin and eye gouge, and supposedly having did the techniques that you can only executed have speed or power with a cooperating opponent spar and they never ever did anything with real contact, in any session that either fighter was doing with him.

Lewis was respectful, but subtly implied why this "fighter," who advocated speed and technique over size and real sparring over forms and theory, would never , ever want to spar with him, despite knowing it was a chance for Bruce to test his techniques on one of the true first full contact fighters as well as a champion.  Bruce was an actor with a great mind for martial arts and physical training, but he was no fighter. He never sparred his best students (as he himself acknowledged the best path to physical development), nor bothered competing in kickboxing, Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai (yes he was aware of it and trying to add the low Thai kick to JKD), or any wrestling or Judo tournaments.

Compare him to a Rolls Gracie or Rickson Graice, who both competed in wrestling, judo, Sambo, jiu jitsu, submission grappling, Luta Livre fights, as well as full on NHB fights. These men were fighters, not actors...

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2014, 02:07:07 AM »

::)

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2014, 02:22:51 AM »
I want a game with Tyson, Lee, Lenny Mclean, Brian Cockerill, ete etc!! Imagine that!

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2014, 03:01:33 AM »
Some new pics of Alucard

:D :D :D!

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2014, 03:26:34 AM »
Its not hearsay - its from credible witnesses who were actually there. A recording? Yeah cause everyone back then had camera phones and filmed everything that happened. ::).

One of the most bizarre asumptions people tend to make is they view movie fights as though thats how a martial artist would actually fight in real life. Acrobatics, squaring off, taunts etc. When filmed martial artists often overexaggerate everything for the camera. Kicks are fancier and done slower to look more impressive for the camera.

Bruce pointed out several times that no one fights for real like they do in a camera. A real fight is nasty brutish and doesnt involve fancy moves. Van damme once stated that he'd never do his camera style moves when he actually competed. Chuck Norris was another guy who echoed the same sentiment.  Maybe you think bruce would start a real fight with a stance, pause a few seconds to glower at his opponent and frequently make yipping sounds when he threw a punch or kick. Yeah thats how he really throws down right?

That was one the fundamentals of bruce Lee's research and practice into fighting - how to finish off your opponent off as quickly and directly as possible. Bruce lee learned martial arts specifically because he was losing as many fights as he won in hong kong. He was part of a gang in hong kong and gangs usually squared off against each other constantly He chose wing chun because it was the most direct and efficient style he could find at the time. He later evolved it to add boxing, wrestling, thai kickboxing, basically anything that helped to win a fight. He was the real deal. He was a fighter who got into acting. Not the other way around. Same as chuck norris, van damme, and several others. He also trained world champions lime Joe Lewis and chuck Norris.

Go ask some old school genuine fighters like bob wall, bill wallace, blinky rodriguez, jeff Smith or benny urquidez if he was a fake and watch them laugh at your ignorance. Look at some of the interviews done with gene la belle, a real old school wrestler,tough guy and stuntman. Gene said many times that bruce is the real deal.

Movie fights are exaggerated for your entertainment. Oddly enought before bruce Lee movies old kung fu movies had even more exaggerated flowery style fighting and the reason bruce lee movies became popular was because audiences thought  that the fights in big boss looked more real than anything they had seen in the past. Thats what catapulted him to fame.Martial arts movies have evolved again to the popularity of MMA. Now you see armbars, triangles etc making their appearance in movies in order to keep up with reality.

C'mon, guy. You're not really buying this, are you? Wallace, Lewis, Urquidez, Norris, etc. were all competitive fighters. Benny and Wallace, especially, full-contact guys; they would've ended the Bruce myth in a single round.

Demonstrations and wonderfully choreographed fight scenes is all we got from Lee. I love the guy, but let's be honest about his 'legend.'

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2014, 04:00:04 AM »
C'mon, guy. You're not really buying this, are you? Wallace, Lewis, Urquidez, Norris, etc. were all competitive fighters. Benny and Wallace, especially, full-contact guys; they would've ended the Bruce myth in a single round.

Demonstrations and wonderfully choreographed fight scenes is all we got from Lee. I love the guy, but let's be honest about his 'legend.'
Cmon we go to keep the legend alive. 8)

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2014, 04:33:34 AM »
Bruce Lee.....LOLOL.

He was an actor

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2014, 04:43:00 AM »
Bruce Lee was an actor, plain and simple.

He has no tournament records or professional fights, because he simply was not a fighter.

He wasn't a fighter, just as Jean Claude Van Damme is not a fighter.

Was it possible that Bruce Lee knew how to fight and could very easily defend himself against the average man or even seasoned fighter? Sure.

Did he have what it takes to actually compete in mixed martial arts or professional boxing? Maybe, but he didn't give us anything to determine this from.

He was a very good actor, when you consider the level of conviction that his roles portrayed and the fact that his "legend" has lived on as long as it has.

Jet Li isn't a fighter, but if you go by his movies, you would assume that he could defeat any professional fighter. Similar to Lee, Jet Li could easily spar with Randy Couture and afterwards Couture can say that Jet Li got him in a number of moves that rendered his skill set useless. Does this mean that Jet Li should then be remembered throughout time as some sort of professional fighter that never showcased his skills due to a larger calling in the realm of acting? Absolutely not.

I like Bruce Lee and I think his movies were entertaining, but a fighter he was not.

"1"

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2014, 04:44:36 AM »
Yeah, but seriously... Who would win in a fight between Bruce Lee and Chuck Liddell?

Dr.J

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2014, 04:54:34 AM »
How much did Bruce Lee really weigh?  #115lbs?

You sure?
Mr. AZ 2003

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2014, 05:07:41 AM »
You sure?

3:38
Here he is in his Bulking Phase,
timing the Anabolic Window and honing the Lactic Acids of Peace :D