Author Topic: Chris Algieri shocks Provodnikov  (Read 2192 times)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Chris Algieri shocks Provodnikov
« on: June 15, 2014, 05:02:18 AM »
Anybody see this kid beat Provodnikov?

I thought he deserved the split decision......tough kid with good skillz!

NEW YORK -- Chris Algieri, his right eye a swollen, closed mess, did not look like a winner when the fight was over. But that was superficial. He had won a world title.

Algieri pulled a major upset as he outboxed Ruslan Provodnikov to win a split decision and a junior welterweight belt on Saturday night at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

With most of the 6,218 fans cheering on Long Island's Algieri, he survived two knockdowns in the first round to prevail in a fight that many also saw for the relentlessly aggressive Provodnikov.

In the end, two judges scored the bout for Algieri, 117-109 and 114-112, while a third scored it for Provodnikov, 114-112. ESPN.com had it for the heavier-hitting Provodnikov, 115-111.

Before Provodnikov made his first title defense he had promised to "chase him and hunt him down. I am the hunter when I am in the ring."

That is exactly what the "Siberian Rocky" tried to do, and it looked like he might make it a quick night.

Algieri, from nearby Huntington, New York, had the crowd chanting for him right away in the first round, but Provodnikov shut them up quickly, leveling him with a hard left hook. Moments later, Algieri went down for the second time under furious pressure, including a left uppercut that sent him to a knee.

Provodnikov continued to stalk him, and Algieri, who is not much of a puncher, could not keep him off. Even when he landed a clean right hand to Provodnikov's cheek in the final seconds of the second round, Provodnikov did not budge.

But Algieri, 30, never panicked and slowly got himself back into the fight as he boxed, moved and used a solid jab to keep Provodnikov at bay.

"It was a great fight. The big thing was getting out of the first round to start with," said Algieri, who was facing by far his most notable opponent. "He hit me with a pretty good shot. I took a knee the second time because my lip was numb, I wanted to clear my head and see how my eye was. It wasn't anything he hit me with.

"The shots in the first round were the most powerful but they were few and far between."

Provodnikov (23-3, 16 KOs) continued to chase Algieri (20-0, 8 KOs) around the ring -- and he was landing -- as Algieri's right eye was turning black and blue and swelling in the third round. And Algieri is tough and hung in there, moving and boxing. But Algieri was also paying a heavy physical toll as he ate so many left hooks and right hands from Provodnikov.

Provodnikov landed hard left hooks in the seventh round, shots Algieri did not see coming because his eye was basically swollen closed.

Algieri, despite the damage, never wavered. Although Provodnikov's punches were clearly harder, the two judges preferred Algieri's boxing style and his punch output, especially over the final quarter of the fight.

Algieri landed 288 of 993 punches (29 percent) while Provodnikov connected on 205 of 776 (26 percent).

Algieri said the eye, as bad as it looked, did not become a serious problem for his vision until the last few rounds.

"I could see pretty well until the eighth round but by the time we hit round 12, I was blind in that eye," Algieri said. "But I was able to anticipate his left hook throughout the fight. I was able to figure out his rhythm. That was the key to my success."

Provodnikov, one of boxing's most exciting fighters, is a straight ahead brawler. It was that style that helped him be involved in the 2013 fight of the year, a close decision loss to then-welterweight titlist Timothy Bradley, and also in his title victory, a 10th-round knockout of Mike Alvarado in October in Alvarado's hometown of Denver.

But while Bradley and Alvarado stood and traded with him, that is not Algieri's game. If there was one way for Algieri to win it would be to outbox Provodnikov, who lamented that style.

"I felt like after the knockdown I was trying to land the big punch," Provodnikov said through a translator. "I have to admit, runners are not my style. I said before it's just not my style. He just ran and touched me. He just jabbed and touched me.

"This is the worst style for me. I like guys who are in front of me and fighting me."

Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach thought Provodnikov might be in some trouble and implored him to go for the knockout late in the fight. But it was not to be, saddling Roach with a big loss just one week after another one of his fighters, Miguel Cotto, upset Sergio Martinez to win the middleweight world championship at Madison Square Garden.

Banner Promotions' Artie Pelullo, Provodnikov's promoter, was disappointed with the decision but said he could see why it went to Algieri.

"I thought it was a close fight and the decision went to Chris Algieri," he said. "I have no complaints. I thought we won the fight but I could see Chris getting the win."

Provodnikov, 30, who earned a career-high $750,000, stuck to his promise to pursue Algieri and he made it an exciting fight, for which he was proud.

"I gave a very exciting fight and I think the fans were not sleeping in their seats," he said. "I did what I promised."

Algieri, who made a career-best $100,000, also did what he had promised -- to use his skills to outbox a rugged opponent. He is a college graduate and also earned a master's degree. After boxing he has aspirations of going to medical school.

But after the upset he pulled to win a 140-pound world title, it looks as though his education is going to have to wait a bit longer.

"I showed the boxing world who Chris Algieri is," he said.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
Re: Chris Algieri shocks Provodnikov
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 05:05:54 AM »
Provo is nothing but a banger.  There's a reason why GGG people keep him away from Ward and call out 154 fighters instead.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 05:33:01 AM »
Provo is nothing but a banger.  There's a reason why GGG people keep him away from Ward and call out 154 fighters instead.
Very true......great brawler, but can be outboxed fairly easily by a guy with talent.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:14:07 AM »
::)

i dont see the similarities except for the fact theyre both central asian, ggg has more technical abilities than prov

the truth is that these '154' are more marketable fights than the son of god or whatever the fuck he calls himself

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 08:53:21 AM »
Very true......great brawler, but can be outboxed fairly easily by a guy with talent.

Provo has tons of raw talent. I just hope Freddie Roach can get him to improve his defense and timing.

Provo always rushes in with his hands down. It didn't work against Bradley and it didn't work here.

Algieri's eye after the first round

G_Thang

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:43:37 AM »

i dont see the similarities except for the fact theyre both central asian, ggg has more technical abilities than prov

the truth is that these '154' are more marketable fights than the son of god or whatever the fuck he calls himself

if ggg could actually box, his people would jump on the ward challenge. instead they are calling out lara and canelo when that fat fuck been a middle weight forever.  time for him to fight some notable in his class or the one above.

THEBOSS

• Getbig IV
  • Another day of being huge
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 10:44:20 AM »

if ggg could actually box, his people would jump on the ward challenge. instead they are calling out lara and canelo when that fat fuck been a middle weight forever.  time for him to fight some notable in his class or the one above.
::)  The result will be the same as in the non pro ranks . As soon as WARD steps out of his home base and isn't allowed to use his fucking head he gets stopped . PS why doesn't ward challenge KOVALEV  ?

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 11:36:17 AM »

there is no comparison between GGG and Provo. Provo is a glorified club fighter. GGG far more skilled and a much harder puncher. Provo has a good punch but he's not a knockout artist.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 11:40:05 PM »
::)  The result will be the same as in the non pro ranks . As soon as WARD steps out of his home base and isn't allowed to use his fucking head he gets stopped . PS why doesn't ward challenge KOVALEV  ?

he and stevenson called out ward but they want a top guy to chase them to 175.  Ward would be a fool.  you go to the super six champ's weight class and beat him.  who the fuck has GGG beaten for Ward to go and find him?  stop playing fan boy.  Ward is the Big Pay Day for all these guys.  BTW, GGG's people started the Ward talk.  When Ward responded, they said GGG wasn't ready yet.  Fuck, he has as many amateur fights as Lara, over 30 wins a pro while Lara has under 20 and is 30 yrs old like Lara.  Don't start calling out P4P guys until you are 35 and ready.  ::)  

GGG vs Kid Chocolate (but this bitch only calls out guys he knows can't fight for Showtime or HBO which ever one he is with right now.)

There are alot of guys protecting their "0" like FMW in boxing today. It's that simple.      

THEBOSS

• Getbig IV
  • Another day of being huge
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 03:10:54 AM »
he and stevenson called out ward but they want a top guy to chase them to 175.  Ward would be a fool.  you go to the super six champ's weight class and beat him.  who the fuck has GGG beaten for Ward to go and find him?  stop playing fan boy.  Ward is the Big Pay Day for all these guys.  BTW, GGG's people started the Ward talk.  When Ward responded, they said GGG wasn't ready yet.  Fuck, he has as many amateur fights as Lara, over 30 wins a pro while Lara has under 20 and is 30 yrs old like Lara.  Don't start calling out P4P guys until you are 35 and ready.  ::)  

GGG vs Kid Chocolate (but this bitch only calls out guys he knows can't fight for Showtime or HBO which ever one he is with right now.)

There are alot of guys protecting their "0" like FMW in boxing today. It's that simple.      
I base the fight  on styles . WARD fights this guy in his usual style and he gets eaten alive . And I'm no fan  boy . WARD is also much bigger then GGG and that's why I made the other reference . As for the payday WARD isn't   much of a draw ! ( as for GGG's people and the offer ? I don't know much about that ) PS And WARD has gotten much use out of his fucking SKULL and not been called on it

whitewidow

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 11:06:15 PM »
Ruslan got robbed in this fight! some ref got payed. the post is wrong the main most well known judge had it 117 109 for ruslan the other two dumbfucks who got payed off had it 114-112.
Ruslan beat that algieri kid retarded! Algieri won;t be able to see right for along time! Just ask yourself who would you rather of been after the fight Ruslan who didn;t have a mark on him or chris who was beaten blind and spitting out blood? chris algieri ran from ruslan all night! Ruslan knocked chris on his ass twice, once he knocked him macross the ring on his ass,the second time chris took a knee because he knew he was about to get hit with that left hook to the eye. It was a running event for chris not a boxing match. chris algieri=PUSSY!

Europe

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 12:45:35 AM »
I Agree Algieri did run, but Ruslan needs to improve his technical boxing.. he's a banger alright but imagine him being little more technical!!
I did score it to Ruslan.. for control of the ring & aggressiveness.

whitewidow

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 01:45:01 AM »
I Agree Algieri did run, but Ruslan needs to improve his technical boxing.. he's a banger alright but imagine him being little more technical!!
I did score it to Ruslan.. for control of the ring & aggressiveness.

everybody is scared to fight Ruslan. Brandon Rios called out Ruslan and also told his manager cameron Duncan and told Bob Arum he wanted to fight Ruslan and Ruslan wanted to fight Brandon and it makes sense Brandon did beat alvarado once and lost to Alvarado once and then lost to manny but he was a perfect fight for Ruslan and it would of been a way bigger event. Basically Cameron Duncan and Bob Arum want to protect Brandons career as they feared ruslan would destroy him bringing Rios down to the bottom, but what a fight that would of been, def would not of gone the distance and both guys would of banged in the middle of the ring. I think Ruslan would of beat Rios up but then again anything can happen. '

I am sorry ruslan had to take this stupid chris algieri fight, the kid was the biggest pussy on wheels! he just ran all night. If there was 30 more seconds in the first round ruslan could of stopped the fight algieri didn;t know where he was after that first hige left hook that knocked him on his ass and blinded him. what a fucking robbery!

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 06:09:33 AM »
Wow,,,I'm surprised to actually surprised to see a boxing thread on GB.

....much better then the usual threads about which guy put another in rear naked choke hold ::)