Author Topic: WHy the hell do Masseratis depreciate so much so quick?  (Read 9331 times)

Rhomboids

• Getbig III
WHy the hell do Masseratis depreciate so much so quick?
« on: June 18, 2014, 06:00:12 AM »
I'm looking at a 2009 model, Quatroporte S.  It only has 12,000 miles on the clock and looks new as hell.  The car MSRP'ed for 130+ grand and now...it's going for 58K.  Fuck if i had the money i'd love to drive it just for one year and sell it before it needs anything more than an oil change.  

I'd imagine it must be the servicing costs and mechanical/electrical problems that keep people away.  But fuck imagine the pussy you woud pull running around in a Maserati?  :o

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
Re: WHy the hell do Masseratis depreciate so much so quick?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 06:08:08 AM »
60k just to pull pussy, I don't know man.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 06:21:37 AM »
Sounds like a question for getbigs resident car guy, Parker.   I imagine his spidey sense started tingling as soon as you posted this thread.
A

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 06:21:49 AM »
Cars pull pussy  ::)

SmallPole

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 06:25:29 AM »
i'd imagine it depreciates so much because of
1. its value
2. its status

I mean, rich people buy it to show off their status, so buying a used one would be like, uhm, counterproductive, because you would be showing that you can't afford a new one... so in conclusion nobody wants to buy used luxury cars

also, 2009 is a five year old car, so yeah

That_Dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 06:35:09 AM »
You pay ferrari maintenance for a car that everyone looks at as a poor man's ferrari. Forget masseratti ultimate poser whip.

the trainer

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 07:13:08 AM »
 I go into my ferrari dealer every year and upgrade to the latest model I got to keep up with the jones, I cant be left hanging.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 07:20:12 AM »
Look at Ferrari  Same thing.  Buy it and the price cuts in half, it's not for another 20 years they become collectible and the price goes up.  Look at the old "Magnum PI" model.  it was dirt cheap for years and now the price has increased as it is becoming a collectors item.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 07:30:11 AM »
I'm looking at a 2009 model, Quatroporte S.  It only has 12,000 miles on the clock and looks new as hell.  The car MSRP'ed for 130+ grand and now...it's going for 58K.  Fuck if i had the money i'd love to drive it just for one year and sell it before it needs anything more than an oil change.  

I'd imagine it must be the servicing costs and mechanical/electrical problems that keep people away.  But fuck imagine the pussy you woud pull running around in a Maserati?  :o

That is high actually. You can find many for 27k-40k. Luxury cars tend to depreciate faster. And you just answered your own question. It's a Maserati. Maserati has a history of producing cars that stay in the shop more than the shop's tools. Like the Biturbo.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 07:58:14 AM »
That is high actually. You can find many for 27k-40k. Luxury cars tend to depreciate faster. And you just answered your own question. It's a Maserati. Maserati has a history of producing cars that stay in the shop more than the shop's tools. Like the Biturbo.

I've always heard that, and I've seen a fair share of them on the side of the road.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 09:24:53 AM »
Because they have SHITTY ferrari motors in them that cost an arm and leg to fix.

Also problematic as fuck ...you can find quattroportes cheap as fuck 2005-2009 (They also get MPG in the low teens)

Shitty cars overall, bought by people who don't know shit about cars. New ones are bought by accountant/executive types with new money who think they're status symbols...then they sell them after realizing how shitty they are and HUGE depreciation on them. Then the wanna be ballers buy them at a fraction of their MSRP thinking they have made it.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 09:29:20 AM »
I work high end car market ,did Porsche $$$ and bmw long time,maserati look outstanding and like most cars depreciate after warranty expires and get very costly the serviceing on these cars are $$$at the dealer...Porsche major service 911 ran 1700.00 brakes were very expensive they use Italian brakes.cayenne are even more

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 09:40:09 AM »
Because they have SHITTY ferrari motors in them that cost an arm and leg to fix.

Also problematic as fuck ...you can find quattroportes cheap as fuck 2005-2009 (They also get MPG in the low teens)

Shitty cars overall, bought by people who don't know shit about cars. New ones are bought by accountant/executive types with new money who think they're status symbols...then they sell them after realizing how shitty they are and HUGE depreciation on them. Then the wanna be ballers buy them at a fraction of their MSRP thinking they have made it.
I have to admit the GranTurismo is achingly beautiful. And Harry Metcalfe of Evo (owner of Evo and of great cars) loves his. Especially the sound.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 09:42:45 AM »
I have to admit the GranTurismo is achingly beautiful. And Harry Metcalfe of Evo (owner of Evo and of great cars) loves his. Especially the sound.

[/quote
it is,,the new one got so/so reviews the smaller version starts at 60/70k for got name.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 09:48:17 AM »
I work high end car market ,did Porsche $$$ and bmw long time,maserati look outstanding and like most cars depreciate after warranty expires and get very costly the serviceing on these cars are $$$at the dealer...Porsche major service 911 ran 1700.00 brakes were very expensive they use Italian brakes.cayenne are even more

Any moderate -major service on any late model car at a dealer is gonna be in the $1,500 range to START ...that's nothing new.

Never understood people that go to dealers to get cars worked on.

Independent mechanics can save you so much money.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 09:49:24 AM »

Yeah, undeniably gorgeous vehicle. But for the money I'd have a 911 turbo, gt3, turbo s all day long. 997 or 991

SOON!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 09:50:18 AM »
Any moderate -major service on any late model car at a dealer is gonna be in the $1,500 range to START ...that's nothing new.

Never understood people that go to dealers to get cars worked on.

Independent mechanics can save you so much money.
problem with independents is the diag equipment esp bmw/merc/audi u need upgraded/updated software to program/troubleshoot/get exact codes to fix vehicle.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 09:56:38 AM »
oh brother  ::)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 09:59:14 AM »
Lots of getbig millionaires in here who can afford a gran turismo but can't afford the maintenance.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 10:48:44 AM »
I've always heard that, and I've seen a fair share of them on the side of the road.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 10:51:14 AM »
I work 1/2 mile down the road from Maserati dealer,beast of a car,they rip down the highway.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 11:51:20 AM »
What about an m3 and stick a supercharger in it for 6k?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 01:06:16 PM »

To be fair these are probably driven by people who can just about find the gas cap.  Then they use it as a primary vehicle rather than as a performance car, and expect that it'll be a workhorse because it cost a lot.

I'm just speculating but I'd guess that high end performance cars are built to excel at their designed purpose, but they're too delicate for daily use stuff that would better suit a Toyota.  It doesn't mean they're pieces of shit, just that they're engineered to deliver something that other cars can't, provided the owner is willing to spend the time and money keeping it right in the zone. 

Durable vehicles, on the other hand, deliver no zippy performance at all but they run forever and need only basic maintenance.  That's way more my style.

Vehicles depreciate because you don't know what the previous guy did or didn't do to it.  Unless you're a good enough mechanic to assess something's history, any used machinery is a dice roll.  I can do it with some stuff.  Cars, no.

pj braun

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Owner Prime Nutrition & Blackstone Labs
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 02:19:38 PM »
It's 5+ years old.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 02:31:23 PM »
It's 5+ years old.
duh. But most importantly, it's a 5 year old Maserati. The problem is it doesn't hold it's value compared to other luxury cars in it's class.