Author Topic: Greatest military invasion in history - Operation Barbarossa  (Read 6769 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: Greatest military invasion in history started exactly 73 years ago.
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2014, 11:35:49 AM »
QFT, Hitler had no military intelligence and over ruled his military's leader's decisions. He fought in every direction. His army was spread too thin to take on Russia.  Toward the end he had the jet plane but it was to late to go into wide spread production. He could have changed the course of the war.

I just read "Shadow Divers." It's a about a sunk Nazi submarine right off the coast of New Jersey that no American records exist of it's sinking. Imagine their sub was within spitting distance of Manhattan.

That's interesting, I need to get that book. I read about a uboat letting off a few spies that came ashore on the coast somewhere in the US and lived here for a while or something.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
Re: Greatest military invasion in history - Operation Barbarossa
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2014, 11:37:37 AM »
I'm not a big WW2 historian buff by any means but did Germany REALLY ever have a chance to pull it off?

They always had USSR to contend with and eventually they would have to face The US who already had the ultimate game changer with Nuclear Weaponry PLUS a whole country full of armed civilians. Tough to see them overcoming that obstacle.

I'm not a buff either, I just find WW2 fascinating, but I don't think Germany had any solid plans to invade USA (their victory in Europe surely didn't depend on it).  If they could have achieved dominance of continental Europe I'm not sure USA would have entered the war.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 04:27:58 PM »
Yeah, and Bas Rutin would probably lose in a fight against you, Shizzo, Vince Basile, Uncle Junior, and Bluto. What's your point?
No he wouldnt.
LOL
V

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 06:17:16 PM »
That's interesting, I need to get that book. I read about a uboat letting off a few spies that came ashore on the coast somewhere in the US and lived here for a while or something.

Watch "When Hitler Invaded America" or something close to that. It's on Netflix and is about their uboats off the east coast. There's a bunch of them sunk off of Carolina.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2014, 06:29:48 PM »
UBoats were sunk off the coast of NC as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-352

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2014, 06:31:12 PM »
http://nchumanities.org/programs/road-scholars/north-carolina%E2%80%99s-u-boats-%E2%80%93-u-85-u-701-u-352

Carolina’s U-Boats – U-85, U-701, U-352
Jim Bunch

Hitler declared war on the United States on Dec. 11, 1941 – four days after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.  German U-boats soon began crossing the Atlantic and sinking American shipping along the North Carolina coast.  Some of these attacks were within sight of coastal residents. By August of that year three of these boats – U-85, U-701 and U-352 were also sunk within 20 miles of the North Carolina mainland. This PowerPoint presentation recounts a brief history of these boats, what remains of them today, and a detailed account of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s research expedition to them during the summer of 2008.  During the expedition researchers surveyed and photographed the visible sections of the three submarines as well as studying the marine life found at the sites. The information collected during this expedition will be developed as part of a long range plan to preserve these historic sites.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 06:33:21 PM »

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “No no. Down here, Louie.”
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 06:34:33 PM »

I've always been a big fan of the Battle of the Bulge

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2014, 06:36:39 PM »
Yeah, and Bas Rutin would probably lose in a fight against you, Shizzo, Vince Basile, Uncle Junior, and Bluto. What's your point?
hahahaha now this was an excellent answer

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2014, 06:38:18 PM »
QFT, Hitler had no military intelligence and over ruled his military's leader's decisions. He fought in every direction. His army was spread too thin to take on Russia.  Toward the end he had the jet plane but it was to late to go into wide spread production. He could have changed the course of the war.

I just read "Shadow Divers." It's a about a sunk Nazi submarine right off the coast of New Jersey that no American records exist of it's sinking. Imagine their sub was within spitting distance of Manhattan.
::)

The British were already flying the Gloster Meteor in 1944.  The Me-262 was a flying piece of shit by the way and only good for a few hours and then the engine had to be replaced.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
::)

The British were already flying the Gloster Meteor in 1944.  The Me-262 was a flying piece of shit by the way and only good for a few hours and then the engine had to be replaced.

Did you read about the NBA prospect who had to give up his dream of playing professional basketball because of his Marfan syndrome?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/guy/genetic-disorder-ends-the-career-of-nba-prospect-isaiah-austin-181730781.html

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2014, 07:07:07 PM »
People always underestimate the size of the Soviet Union.

Over and over again. It's big people!  ::)

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2014, 09:53:02 PM »
Germany had no 4 engine heavy bombers in the war, thus no means of retaliating later in the war.  All he had was the V2 rockets.

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2014, 08:59:39 AM »
Hitlers rash decisions were a result of violent mood swings brought about by inconsistent hormone levels. If he hadn't been such a girl and split up his weekly testoviron dosage into eod shots Germany may just have won the war.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2014, 11:40:00 AM »
The only military invasion that could rival Barbarossa would probably be Hannibal's invasion of Rome...

Just to clear up some things:
1.Germany was not trying to 'take over the world' ( ::)) and never had even close to the means required for such an undertaking. The whole idea we have been taught since kids that germany 'tried to take over the world' is complete and total revisionist bullshit.
2.germany was NEVER a threat to the united states. Even at the peak of their power they didnt even have close to the means-much less the desire- to attack or invade america. The modern idea that 'we would all be speaking german' if we didnt go fight them is just more bullshit propoganda.
3. Germany didnt even start the war. Britain (largely churchill) declared war on them, not the other way around. The irony is that germany admired britain and wanted peace, or even an alliance, with them, and did not threaten britain in any way whatsoever untill britain declared war on them. Britain brought france in with them, as well as their global empire, and eventually brought the united states into it as well. Britain started WW2, not germany...but the winners write the history so you know the rest.
4. Germany had the best soldiers and the best technology and were without doubt the superior force. The allies and the soviets only caught up to them towards the end of the war when germany and its industrial capacity-not to mention its population itself-were in ruins. Even then, the americans and the soviets scrambled to bring in all the german scientists they could, because they were better than theirs were.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2014, 11:57:36 AM »
The only military invasion that could rival Barbarossa would probably be Hannibal's invasion of Rome...

1.Germany was not trying to 'take over the world' ( ::)) and never had even close to the means required for such an undertaking. The whole idea we have been taught since kids that germany 'tried to take over the world' is complete and total revisionist bullshit.
2.germany was NEVER a threat to the united states. Even at the peak of their power they didnt even have close to the means-much less the desire- to attack or invade america. The modern idea that 'we would all be speaking german' if we didnt go fight them is just more bullshit propoganda.
3. Germany didnt even start the war. Britain (largely churchill) declared war on them, not the other way around. The irony is that germany admired britain and wanted peace, or even an alliance, with them, and did not threaten britain in any way whatsoever untill britain declared war on them. Britain brought france in with them, as well as their global empire, and eventually brought the united states into it as well. Britain started WW2, not germany...but the winners write the history so you know the rest.
4. Germany had the best soldiers and the best technology and were without doubt the superior force. The allies and the soviets only caught up to them towards the end of the war when germany and its industrial capacity-not to mention its population itself-were in ruins. Even then, the americans and the soviets scrambled to bring in all the german scientists they could, because they were better than theirs were.

A-ryan post reported...

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2014, 11:57:48 AM »
D-day turned out ok :)

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2014, 05:59:59 PM »
I agree with 1, 2, 3, and some of 4. The Allies broke the German code relatively early in the war and both sides had technology advantages in certain areas.

Yes, the reason everyone thinks the german troops were superior is because for a long time most of them they had YEARS of combat experience. By the time D-day rolled around, most of those guys were dead on the eastern front and replaced by conscripts or hitler youth, with SS troops and the last of the older experienced guys thrown in to stiffen things up. Their armored forces were superior to anything britain and america could bring to the field until at least 1944, cannot contest that. Their Air Force was battle hardened, though severely outgunned/outmanned they put up a terrific effort despite the odds. On the eastern front, they got with I think 19 miles of Moscow, so yes, they were very close to victory even if they could not have taken the city they could have bypassed it and bombed it and shelled it into a smoking ruin at their leisure.

Hitler did fuck them up badly. Pushing for super weapons and new innovations in a time of dire straits was a huge mistake. Their current model tanks and planes and firearms were without a doubt very much up to par with what the allies had; no need to fix what wasn't broken. The troops themselves were as I said highly experienced and well trained/led soldiers. If they had invaded Britain in strength, Britain would have fallen in a matter of weeks the british forces were pitiful at that point, beaten and using outdated or hastily built equipment. The Royal Navy and RAF were top notch, but the german navy and air force could certainly have held them off long enough to allow troops and tanks to land in good quantity and then it would have been over. German firearms and military organization were top notch at that time- each squad of men had TWO mg34 or mg42 LMG's, with sub machine guns and rifles for the rest of the men. British and american squads of similar size and composition were all rifle armed, with maybe one or two smg's and sometimes an LMG. Did I mention that the LMG's the germans had were far superior to anything else on the battlefield at the time? Two to three times the fire rate of the browning m1919 of the USA and the bren gun (magazine loaded LOL) the brits used. Americans had better rifles though, semi auto and 8 round clips though the germans did bring out such weapons beginning in 1942-3 and they were designed to be better than the american rifles they sought to counter.

Tanks? IF the germans had focussed full time on production of the pzkpfwIV rather than trying to make their armor bigger and better with each radical new plan... They would have wrecked the russian t34 masses. The crews were far better trained and highly ecperienced too. Better 75mm l41 gun in the pz4 as well. Those high velocity AP rounds, cut thru russian steel like cheese for the most part.

Planes? America and UK had the best planes tbh, but the crews were all fresh until they got some time in the air, and the luftwaffe were battle hardened guys who had years of combat flight under their belts dating back to 1935 and the spanish civil war just as the army had. It's a 50/50 until 1944 when better german fighters came out like the late model fw190's. Heavier armaments like quad 20mm cannons would shred everything USA and UK put in the air. Too bad they ran out of good pilots by then. No heavy bomber yes, but the mediums they did have still wreaked havoc curing the blitz and the battle of britain.

And no the blitz was a huge mistake. it lost them the war with britain. focussing on civilian targets when plenty of military targets are still there is a big no no. They fucked up and took vengeance on the brits when they bombed a german city in retaliation for a mistaken bombing of london by a single german bomber crew lost at night. The germans went tunnel vision, and got into a war of attrition they couldnt win with those medium bombers while they were getting pounded by brit and yank heavys on a daily basis. if theyd stuck to RAF bases and the like, it could have been very different. They could have also destroyed the oryal navy by air once theyd dealt with the RAF, both of which were feasible goals in 1941.

lot of mistakes.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2014, 06:44:59 PM »

Yes.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2014, 07:00:21 PM »
I find it hilarious that some here would rather have seen the United States and allied forces lose.  Germany never stood a chance.  They were defeated December 11, 1941, the day they declared war on the United States.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2014, 07:01:49 PM »
I find it hilarious that some here would rather have seen the United States and allied forces lose.  Germany never stood a chance.  They were defeated December 11, 1941, the day they declared war on the United States.

Yes.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2014, 07:14:55 PM »
We all know why people would have liked to see Germany win.
Why is that?  Jews have done more for society, science and human progress in the last 100 years than anyone else.  What have your Mexican brethren ever done except make good food?

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2014, 07:48:11 PM »

Soviet Union invasion was a death sentence for Germany.

'Operation Barbarossa was the largest military operation in world history in both manpower and casualties. Its failure was a turning point in the Third Reich's fortunes. Most importantly, Operation Barbarossa opened up the Eastern Front, to which more forces were committed than in any other theater of war in world history. Regions covered by the operation became the site of some of the largest battles, deadliest atrocities, highest casualties, and most horrific conditions for Soviets and Germans alike—all of which influenced the course of both World War II and 20th-century history. '
Germans have more than 800,000 casualties.

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2014, 07:55:41 PM »
LOL!!!

They also keep our lawns looking fresh don't forget.

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2014, 07:57:01 PM »
Soviet Union invasion was a death sentence for Germany.

'Operation Barbarossa was the largest military operation in world history in both manpower and casualties. Its failure was a turning point in the Third Reich's fortunes. Most importantly, Operation Barbarossa opened up the Eastern Front, to which more forces were committed than in any other theater of war in world history. Regions covered by the operation became the site of some of the largest battles, deadliest atrocities, highest casualties, and most horrific conditions for Soviets and Germans alike—all of which influenced the course of both World War II and 20th-century history. '
Germans have more than 800,000 casualties.

Russian casualties are estimated in the 20,000,000 range. Civilian and military combined. And by casualties I mean majority of them being deaths.