Author Topic: Parents Sue BMW After Child Dies In Locked Car  (Read 7680 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Parents Sue BMW After Child Dies In Locked Car
« on: June 22, 2014, 07:06:40 PM »
Ok, parents teenage son leaves 14 yr old sister in car to get some sleep. He locks the car. When his classes are done at 3 pm, he comes back and she is dead. Parents sue BMW for double lock feature. The car is a 1997 BMW.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/no-escape-california-family-sues-bmw-after-teen-dies-locked-n100881

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
Re: Parents Sue BMW After Child Dies In locked Car
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 07:09:52 PM »
Great job by the family's attorney at losing the case before it gets in front of a judge

“There’s nothing you can do electronically in any way to escape that car,” he said. “I found the 1997 handbook, it clearly states that if you lock the car from the outside, the occupants cannot get out. The problem is that this was a 16-year-old car and my clients didn’t have the luxury of having the handbook.”  
::)

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 07:13:31 PM »
Great job by the family's attorney at losing the case before it gets in front of a judge
 ::)
Another problem is that we don't know that she tried to get out. Because you can kick the window out.
The problem is that the son thought it was a great idea to leave his sister in the car to get some rest. Why didn't she just go to school? Or stay home?

We all know, that the parents don't want the brother to think that he was the one who really killed his sister with his brilliant thinking, but it was BMW's fault that he locked the doors.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 07:20:47 PM »
Another dipshit family trying to get free money

I bet they would settle out of court for a preowned 2013 bmw 750i

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 07:57:07 PM »
Didnt read link, what exactly killed the teenage? Don't tell me dipshit left the car running?

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 08:55:18 PM »
 Salas added that Martinez's family are farmworkers and will struggle to pay for her funeral.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2420147/Graciela-Martinez-14-dies-inside-hot-car-parked-Madera-California-school.html#ixzz35Qn4YMQg
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

They're farm workers but they bought their kids a BMW to drive to school?

Graciela's parents are also suing the Madera Unified School District, which they allege failed to notice their daughter inside the locked vehicle, and didn't notify them that she didn't attend class that day.  

It's not just BMW's fault but the entire school district's, too ::). Maybe they should sue the Border Patrol for failing to catch them when they snuck into the US. If they had been caught and deported their daughter would be alive, right?

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 08:56:08 PM »
Heat stroke

Kind of fucked up she couldn't open the door or sound the horn with the keys out the ignition

Parents Pedro and jacinta are also suing BMW for compensation for the reduction in EBT , food stamps and section 8 resulting from the loss of their anchor.  ::)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 09:12:42 PM »
What does the school district have to do with this case at all? Totally irrelevant.
X

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 09:16:32 PM »

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 10:49:53 PM »
Police said preliminary
 investigations did not show she had made any attempts to get out.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 11:06:55 PM »
So someone designed a container that a person cannot open from the inside?

Well what could possibly go wrong with that?  

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 11:17:39 PM »

And think about this. The son locked the door. And he apparently didn't think to check on his sister an hour later or less. Also, when you locked the door and you have the key, it was never thought that you would lock a sleepig human being inside. Therefore the horn wouldn't work and the doors wouldn't unlock from inside. Why? Well, because there shouldn't be anybody inside the car..

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 11:26:38 PM »
BMW means Bakes Mexicans Well ;D

Too soon?

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 11:28:13 PM »
The lawsuit also names the Madera Unified School District as a defendant. Among other things, it alleges that the school failed to notify Graciela’s parents that she did not show up for class that day, as required by district policy.

This makes a bit more sense than suing BMW, since if the school somehow contacted the family earlier perhaps (depending on when they'd call) they would've thought to check the car. That does not absolve the family from responsibility of the stupid act of locking someone inside the car.

Unless there was a specific DoT rule that required cars at the time to have an "escape" feature if a car was locked from the outside then BMW is not really at fault.
The excuse they didn't have the manual because it was a 16 year old car is BS. Manuals for old cars can be found easily. A quick google search returned this:
http://www.mikerophonerecords.com/bimmer/e36manual.pdf

and in page 31 it states:

Never use the keys or the remote control to lock an occupied vehicle, as it would then be impossible to unlock it from inside.

Still the whole case seems more like an outburst of grief and guilt than substance. I think they're trying to make BMW settle out of court to avoid bad publicity.

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 11:39:29 PM »
This makes a bit more sense than suing BMW, since if the school somehow contacted the family earlier perhaps (depending on when they'd call) they would've thought to check the car. That does not absolve the family from responsibility of the stupid act of locking someone inside the car.

Unless there was a specific DoT rule that required cars at the time to have an "escape" feature if a car was locked from the outside then BMW is not really at fault.
The excuse they didn't have the manual because it was a 16 year old car is BS. Manuals for old cars can be found easily. A quick google search returned this:
http://www.mikerophonerecords.com/bimmer/e36manual.pdf

and in page 31 it states:

Never use the keys or the remote control to lock an occupied vehicle, as it would then be impossible to unlock it from inside.

Still the whole case seems more like an outburst of grief and guilt than substance. I think they're trying to make BMW settle out of court to avoid bad publicity.

The school was unaware of what happened until AFTER the kid returned to the car and found his sister unresponsive. There is no way the school could have prevented it. The only people on that campus that knew she was locked in the car were her brother and sister.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 11:50:21 PM »

The school was unaware of what happened until AFTER the kid returned to the car and found his sister unresponsive. There is no way the school could have prevented it. The only people on that campus that knew she was locked in the car were her brother and sister.

If they notify within 2 hours or so of the start of classes maybe it could've been different. But if they notify after the school day ends it would make no difference.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 12:01:25 AM »
A German car bakes a Mexican inside, nothing to see here folks  8)

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 12:38:40 AM »
Those wacky Germans, now taking baby steps towards racial purity.

I ETA PI

• Getbig III
  • TAPPA KEGGA BREW!
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 01:44:14 AM »
If they notify within 2 hours or so of the start of classes maybe it could've been different. But if they notify after the school day ends it would make no difference.

It makes no difference either way. 

So now when a kid skips class, it's the fault of the school if the kid gets hurt while skipping class? 

What happens if a kid stays home sick, the parents forget to inform the school, and the kid dies?  Is the school at fault?  That's essentially what happened here--kid skips school because she's sick, no one tells the school...and the kid dies

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 02:06:59 AM »
And think about this. The son locked the door. And he apparently didn't think to check on his sister an hour later or less. Also, when you locked the door and you have the key, it was never thought that you would lock a sleepig human being inside. Therefore the horn wouldn't work and the doors wouldn't unlock from inside. Why? Well, because there shouldn't be anybody inside the car..

I would have never thought you could not override the lock from the inside. Or that you won't be able to sound the horn, or open a window. That's really scary (says a claustrophobic).

The latest car Phreak rented for work, an Audi I believe, automatically locked the doors after a few seconds. Also when you're inside. And even though you're still able to open the doors from the inside, it really creeped me out every time I heard the sound of the locks.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
Re: Parents Sue BMW After Child Dies In Locked Car
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 02:19:23 AM »
I am a lawyer by profession it is hard to see where culpability rests with BMW. It is dickheads taking cases like this that lead to safety notices spoiling every surface you can see.

I was disgusted by the claims I dealt with (clients) seeking an getting so much when I started out. We got one guy €750k for slipping and breaking his wrist in Dublin airport. Another woman got €28k because someone rear ended her (at almost no speed, she wasn't injured) just because she felt a bit shocked. It was her third claim...

In this instance the son was responsible (or irresponsible), BMW notified the system in manual (should they have a sign about every feature plastered everywhere around car?). In what way was BMW negligent or irresponsible such that it caused harm?

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 02:29:04 AM »
I would have never thought you could not override the lock from the inside. Or that you won't be able to sound the horn, or open a window. That's really scary (says a claustrophobic).

The latest car Phreak rented for work, an Audi I believe, automatically locked the doors after a few seconds. Also when you're inside. And even though you're still able to open the doors from the inside, it really creeped me out every time I heard the sound of the locks.
It's also a 1997 BMW...but, why would there be a need to over-ride the lock from the inside? Unless someone kidnapped you and locked the doors and took the key with them.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 02:58:25 AM »
I ride a convertible Landcruiser so i will never have that kind of problem.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 03:01:02 AM »

Lol.  Bullseye!

So much for German engineering.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 03:11:28 AM »
S