Author Topic: Flex magazine - Going to be a bi-monthly magazine?  (Read 7946 times)

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Flex magazine - Going to be a bi-monthly magazine?
« on: June 25, 2014, 04:44:52 AM »
We all know the internet , and low price supps at Walmart the lack of info/honesty on steroids among other things are taking the best of magazine industry. But Flex magazine despite being like 75 % adds. And having the best training articles pics etc.  Has taken an extreme measure .....

After charging subscriber a full year for 12 issues, it turns out that people will only get 6 issues instead of 12.  
As of this month, Flex mag is becoming a ONE IN EVERY TWO MONTHS publication !!!

This months issue features Shawn Rhoden on cover is the July/August issue.  
The end of the bible of bob publications as we know it ??

A low blow, a fraud ?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Re: Flex magazine is dying.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 04:51:54 AM »
A dying medium. It's harder to hold up a mag while fapping than to hold up an iPad. Disintermediated by technology.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 04:55:11 AM »
i remember fondly their tyranosauras pecs articles

featuring Nasser in cut off denim shorts and lumber jack shirts

not gay at all
T

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 05:02:33 AM »
the H.U.G.E. training system might be lost forever  :-[

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 05:07:12 AM »
i remember fondly their tyranosauras pecs articles

featuring Nasser in cut off denim shorts and lumber jack shirts

not gay at all

You would have to be such a queer to think that's gay.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 05:07:31 AM »
Can't believe how it isn't dead already.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 05:08:00 AM »
You would have to be such a queer to think that's gay.

I had a couple of wanks while reading it

but I don't think that makes me gay

I just like denim shorts
T

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 05:09:20 AM »
I've never felt like a dumber cnut the day I bought and read through a flex magazine.  Not one single bit of information and interest in the entire magazine.  Literally useless to a man of intelligence and no erectile response to bodybuilders pretending to be lumberjacks.  I doubt the homosexuals purchase it, either.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 05:10:24 AM »
I had a couple of wanks while reading it

but I don't think that makes me gay

I just like denim shorts

Who doesn't?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 05:22:59 AM »
Men's Health magazine sells more magazines than all the bodybuilding magazines combined. No one is interested in drug bodybuilding anymore. Most people realize when they see a juiced bodybuilder how they got there even when they deny it because they want the credit.

What's really huge now with insecure young men that use to flock to bodybuilding is jui jitsu schools. I think working out is as big as it ever was but there is a shift from steroid cosmetics to performance based fitness.

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 05:25:48 AM »
It's the Internet mainly. Too many message boards and other forms of instant information.

I used to read Superman comics. Stopped really caring at 18 but kept collecting 3 more years. Used to have one issue a week from about 1991, and even for those extra 4 weeks in a year made a separate comic for those times.

Stopped about 2001. About 2003-4 they dropped an issue. A few years later dropped another. It's down to 2 a month.

the trainer

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 05:38:57 AM »
I have a lot of great memories with flex magazine I remember going to the gym and reading flex every month this old dude at the gym had a huge collection of old flex magazines I would go over to his house and borrow them.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 05:50:01 AM »
How does that song go???

"Video killed the radio star....."

With the advent of the internet, it was only a matter of time before "print" would see its demise.

It's a lot like reading a newspaper. News that you read on printed paper is no longer new since they happen to have printed it the day before. By the time you pick up the hard copy, it will already have been covered ad nauseum via the internet.

Likewise, when it comes to industry gossip, events schedules or guest appearances by pros, the internet is already your one-stop-shop for all of your Bodybuilding industry needs. Not to mention that today everyone knows about Photoshop and its wonders. 15 years ago, people could have gotten away with morphing a picture and people would swallow that pill without any issue whatsoever. Today, we can spot bullshit a mile away.

Training?? Training is training is training. There are only so many ways you can work out a muscle. Try inventing new angles to work out your biceps and I will show you someone who used the same techniques back in the 1960's.

Now, if a magazine were daring enough, I'd say even crazy enough, to publish actual steroid cycles (dosages, frequency of administration, routes, medication names, post-cycling with anti-estrogen meds etc.) and couple those articles with pictures of various bodybuilders with different body types (they don't have to be pros) that used those cycles and attained certain results, THEN you would have a serious multi-million dollar industry by way of magazine sales.

"1"

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 05:52:48 AM »

Now, if a magazine were daring enough, I'd say even crazy enough, to publish actual steroid cycles (dosages, frequency of administration, routes, medication names, post-cycling with anti-estrogen meds etc.) and couple those articles with pictures of various bodybuilders with different body types (they don't have to be pros) that used those cycles and attained certain results, THEN you would have a serious multi-million dollar industry by way of magazine sales.

"1"

Maybe but then they would lose a lot of advertising sales so it's counteractive

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 05:53:29 AM »
I have a lot of great memories with flex magazine I remember going to the gym and reading flex every month this old dude at the gym had a huge collection of old flex magazines I would go over to his house and borrow them.

Were the pages glued together?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 05:59:22 AM »
We all know the internet , and low price supps at Walmart the lack of info/honesty on steroids among other things are taking the best of magazine industry. But Flex magazine despite being like 75 % adds. And having the best training article pics etc.  Has taken an extreme measure .....

After charging subscriber a full year for 12 issues, it turns out that people will only get 6 issues instead of 12.  
As of this month, Flex mag is becoming a ONE IN EVERY TWO MONTHS publication !!!

This months issue features Shawn Rhoden on cover is the July/August issue.  
The end of the bible of bob publications as we know it ??

A low blow, a fraud ?

Coming from a fat greasy fuck who embezzled 30k from Dave Palumbo business , you have no room to talk.  Pay him back you piece of shit
A

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 06:00:40 AM »
Maybe but then they would lose a lot of advertising sales so it's counteractive

Here in the states they *might*. I say might, because supplement companies can always advertise products that serve to enhance the use of steroids. In other words, they can market non-steroid medications that enhance the bio-availability of testosterone once in your system. Likewise, they can advertise products that *naturally* help to reduce estrogen levels in your body after you come off a cycle, follow me??

Plus, they can still advertise protein powders, Nitric Oxide products, Creatine products, Glucosamine and all the other additives that are actually helpful in bodybuilding.

"1"

Purge_WTF

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 06:02:22 AM »
How does that song go???

With the advent of the internet, it was only a matter of time before "print" would see its demise.

It's a lot like reading a newspaper. News that you read on printed paper is no longer new since they happen to have printed it the day before. By the time you pick up the hard copy, it will already have been covered ad nauseum via the internet.

Likewise, when it comes to industry gossip, events schedules or guest appearances by pros, the internet is already your one-stop-shop for all of your Bodybuilding industry needs. Not to mention that today everyone knows about Photoshop and its wonders. 15 years ago, people could have gotten away with morphing a picture and people would swallow that pill without any issue whatsoever. Today, we can spot bullshit a mile away.

Training?? Training is training is training. There are only so many ways you can work out a muscle. Try inventing new angles to work out your biceps and I will show you someone who used the same techniques back in the 1960's.

"1"

Testicular Maldevelopment is as close to what you described in that last paragraph, but it's just a matter of time before they go under too. But I'd venture to say that most guys who lift aren't gonna bother with steroids, so even that idea would only go so far.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 06:02:45 AM »
But Flex magazine despite being like 75 % adds. And having the best training article pics etc.  Has taken an extreme measure .....

LMAO.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 06:25:51 AM »
They may be dying but they are still spending money signing Bodybuilders to contracts. How much are they paying Phil, Jay, Kai?

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 06:38:15 AM »
They may be dying but they are still spending money signing Bodybuilders to contracts. How much are they paying Phil, Jay, Kai?

about 10 dollars a year each
T

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 06:50:11 AM »
It's not just the digital space that's destroying flex, it's also the fact that it covers a niche market and and 100% of the content is pure crap.
Y

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 06:50:30 AM »
I stopped buying muscle magazines years ago. However, I subscribed to MD recently for their electronic edition. They give you a year for about what it costs for a single magazine in Australia.

The deal for Flex online is similar. Look at the enclosed photo to see the deal.  $10.67 for 12 months. I guess that means 6 editions? Still an ok deal.

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 07:11:58 AM »
Flex and M&F in the US are cutting back to 10 editions / year not 6.

All mags are way down across all spaces, but still some buck the trend.  M&F UK subs have been on the up for a while now.

I'm sure everyone agrees the original MM2K was by far the best mag ever.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 07:30:20 AM »
How does that song go???

"1"
Flex magazine used to do that back in the mid 90s. They even followed some guy on his "steroid withdrawal". Interviews with Mike Christian on his first time doing steroids and what he took.