Author Topic: House GOP suing Obama over his abuse of power as POTUS  (Read 1173 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
House GOP suing Obama over his abuse of power as POTUS
« on: June 25, 2014, 11:09:58 AM »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/210548-wh-boehner-lawsuit-not-the-way-to-go

White House: Boehner move ‘not the way to go

Justin Sink, The Hill - June 25, 2014 - 1:25pm

Republicans have “shifted their opposition into a higher gear” with Speaker John Boehner’s (R-Ohio) planned lawsuit against President Obama, the White House said Wednesday.

“Frankly it’s a gear I didn’t know existed,” White House press secretary Josh Earnest told reporters. “The fact they are considering a taxpayer-funded lawsuit against the president of the United States is a step that I think most of the American people wouldn’t support.”

“We feel completely confident that the president was operating within his authority,” he said.

“I am not sure what the strategy is behind the House Republican announcement today.”

Earnest added that the lawsuit is not something that will consume the attention of the White House.

Earnest also accused Republican leaders of “lapsing into these kind of tactics” that have ground Capitol Hill to a halt, and said the lawsuit was “frankly not the way to go.”

The spokesman said that the president preferred “that we be able to find opportunities” to work with Congress, calling legislation the “focal point of the president’s domestic agenda.” But, he said, the president has also looked for opportunities to act where Congress has not.

Earlier Wednesday, Boehner told reporters on Capitol Hill he would file the lawsuit because he believes the president has not been “faithfully executing the laws of our country.”

“This is about defending the institution in which we serve,” he said. “You know, if you look back over the last 235 years of our history, there’s been a movement between the inherent powers of the executive branch and the inherent powers of the legislative branch.

“And what we’ve seen clearly over the last five years is an effort to erode the power of the legislative branch,” the Speaker continued. “I believe the president is not faithfully executing the laws of our country, and on behalf of the institution and the Constitution, standing up and fighting for this is in the best long-term interest of the Congress.”

Boehner did not immediately say which of the president’s recent executive actions he would be challenging in court.

Republicans have complained vocally about both delays the Obama Administration imposed unilaterally during the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, as well as the president’s move to allow some migrant children who entered the country illegally to remain under a deferred action program.

Earnest would not say if Boehner told Obama about the plans when the Speaker visited the White House for a golf event on Tuesday afternoon.

update 1:46

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: House GOP suing Obama over his abuse of power as POTUS
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 11:18:51 AM »
Lecturing Congress for the last 5 years is not the way to negotiate. Ignoring a Repub majority in the House isn't the way to get anything done. They'd rather have an issue to drive a wedge between people then get anything done. U want to build consensus, through bones to people. He's about to loose the senate and then nothing will get done. He could end up with some BS impeachment case which will distract us all from the mess he's made of the Middle East...followed by another economic crash...followed by an attack.   
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 11:41:24 AM »
Lecturing Congress for the last 5 years is not the way to negotiate. Ignoring a Repub majority in the House isn't the way to get anything done. They'd rather have an issue to drive a wedge between people then get anything done. U want to build consensus, through bones to people. He's about to loose the senate and then nothing will get done. He could end up with some BS impeachment case which will distract us all from the mess he's made of the Middle East...followed by another economic crash...followed by an attack.   

The less Obama is able to do the better. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 11:48:07 AM »

Your characterization is one-sided.   Building consensus with Tea-Birchers?  GMAFB.  That is laughably impossible, imo.

And throwing bones to people?  In what universe do you think that'd be lauded?  

Naw, no matter what Obama chooses/chose to do, he's gonna be condemned for it.  Sucks that it took him so long to finally figure out that this is the way it is.  

Even though I don't agree with a lot of his positions, I'm glad he's doing what he thinks is right without trying to satisfy those that will never be satisfied.  

Maybe if Obama just killed more Islamists you'd agree with some of what I've written here, eh?

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 11:49:43 AM »

Thank you.  Your sentiments are shared by many on the right.

Not that you'd know that by the version of recent history that HH6 is trying to push, lol.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 11:52:05 AM »
Your characterization is one-sided.   Building consensus with Tea-Birchers?  GMAFB.  That is laughably impossible, imo.

And throwing bones to people?  In what universe do you think that'd be lauded?  

Naw, no matter what Obama chooses/chose to do, he's gonna be condemned for it.  Sucks that it took him so long to finally figure out that this is the way it is.  

Even though I don't agree with a lot of his positions, I'm glad he's doing what he thinks is right without trying to satisfy those that will never be satisfied.  

Maybe if Obama just killed more Islamists you'd agree with some of what I've written here, eh?

Tell me one Obama program or idea or whatever from him I should support.  Just one.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 01:41:43 PM »
and after suing him repeal ACA for the 60th time.
w

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 01:53:39 PM »
I'm sorry my version of the Obama fail train is accurate and hurts your lib sensibilities but fail is fail.
L

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 08:09:19 AM »
^^^HH6, by my rough estimation, about 75% of the "fails" on your admittedly amusing graphic are poop.  Besides, ol' Barry isn't being sued for his "fails", is he?  If I'm reading the situation right, he's being sued for his abuse of presidential powers, which isn't quite the same thing.

Now, about his use/abuse of power as POTUS, I happened on an interesting graphic of my own:

All executive orders aren't equal, of course, but I did find it interesting that B. Hussein has used this power less than any president since, lol, Grover Cleveland.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 08:14:45 AM »
All executive orders aren't equal, of course, but I did find it interesting that B. Hussein has used this power less than any president since, lol, Grover Cleveland.

I tend to trust my gut, way more than I trust stats, data. or actual information.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Obama has used executive powers more than all the other presidents combined.  Any source saying otherwise was obviously falsified by the liberal media.

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 08:16:15 AM »
Well...the Supreme Court just bitch slapped him for exceeding his Constitutionally  limited authority in making recess appointments to the NLRB...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 08:16:50 AM »
Supreme Court Curbs President’s Power to Make Recess Appointments
By ADAM LIPTAK
June 26, 2014
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Thursday said President Obama had violated the Constitution when he bypassed the Senate to appoint officials to the National Labor Relations Board during a brief break in the Senate’s work.

But the larger message of the court’s majority opinion, written by Justice Stephen G. Breyer and joined by its four more liberal members, was that there is a role for recess appointments so long as they are made during a recess of 10 or more days.

Justice Antonin Scalia agreed with the result in the case but issued a caustic concurrence from the bench. “The majority practically bends over backwards to ensure that recess appointments will remain a powerful weapon in the president’s arsenal,” he said.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 08:31:32 AM »
I tend to trust my gut, way more than I trust stats, data. or actual information.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Obama has used executive powers more than all the other presidents combined.  Any source saying otherwise was obviously falsified by the liberal media.

Truthy enough for me, too.  Damn that misleading graphic. 

I should have posted the one that shows Obama has used executive orders more than any other president...of his race.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 09:22:11 AM »

This

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 07:26:46 PM »
This

Posted on June 27, 2014 at 9:52:23 PM EDT by kingattax

U.S. President Barack Obama mocked Republican lawmakers' plan to file a lawsuit against him for using his executive authority to make policy, saying Congress had forced his hand by failing to take action.

"The suit is a stunt," Obama said in an interview with ABC News that aired on Friday.

House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner said on Wednesday he planned take legal action alleging the president has abused his executive authority by implementing policies without congressional approval.

"I'm not going to apologize for trying to do something while they're doing nothing," Obama said.

As an example, Obama pointed to efforts to overhaul the U.S. immigration system and said there was wide public support for change.

Sweeping legislation passed the Democratic-controlled Senate last year, but the plan has stalled in the Republican-controlled House, which is led by Boehner. Republicans say the administration must first secure the U.S. borders before easing immigration restrictions.

"What I've told Speaker Boehner directly is: If you're really concerned about me taking too many executive actions, why don't you try getting something done through Congress?" Obama said.

(Excerpt) Read more at newsmax.com ...

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »
Thank you.  Your sentiments are shared by many on the right.

Not that you'd know that by the version of recent history that HH6 is trying to push, lol.

So you must think he's just doing a fine job then?

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 08:39:39 AM »
So you must think he's just doing a fine job then?

I must?, lol

Your brain works funny is what I think because how do you reach the conclusion that I think Obama's doing a fine job from what I wrote? 

I'll break it down for you but fair warning; I might have trouble doing that in the short, declarative sentences that give you the least amount of trouble, OK?  (Sounds funny maybe, but I think it's the sad truth.)

The first part of my comment was that I thought that many on the right feel, like SC does, that the less Obama is able to do, the better. 

The second part of my comment is pointing out that the first part (the right's desire to let Obama do as little as possible) conflicts with recent history that folks like HH6 are trying to rewrite by trying to portray the lack of cooperation between Obama and the right as being due to a lack of effort by Obama. 

That's all.

I gather from your question (about whether I think Obama is doing a good job or not) that you seek to make a comment about whether or not the right not cooperating with Obama is defensible or not and that's fine.  It is, however, irrelevant to the question of who is most responsible for the lack of cooperation between Obama and the right.

Ya follow all that, Coach?