Author Topic: Is long-term weightlifting good for you?  (Read 5463 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
Is long-term weightlifting good for you?
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:59:51 PM »
Here's the question:

Is strenuous weight lifting 4-6 days a week, 45 minutes to an hour and a half per day for years on end, i.e. what the vast majority of "bodybuilders" do, "healthy"?

Here's what got me thinking about this:  I wondered to myself... do I know old people, who have been doing this for 2-3+ decades naturally, who still lift with any degree of intensity, and aren't plagued by joint pain, tears, disk problems, etc.?

I know plenty of people who maintain respectable physiques well into their later years, but I struggle to think of any who haven't been on hormones for years.  The next thing I think, then: do the steroids prevent pain and injuries which would be unavoidable if the "athlete" pursued his weightlifting with any degree of intensity?  Do they allow people to prolong their addiction to an inherently self-destructive activity?

The anabolic effects of steroids are well known and oft-discussed, but is longevity another of their benefits?  An undervalued and largely far less often mentioned benefit?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Is long-term weightlifting good for you?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 10:02:28 PM »
Here's the question:

Is strenuous weight lifting 4-6 days a week, 45 minutes to an hour and a half per day for years on end, i.e. what the vast majority of "bodybuilders" do, "healthy"?

Here's what got me thinking about this:  I wondered to myself... do I know old people, who have been doing this for 2-3+ decades naturally, who still lift with any degree of intensity, and aren't plagued by joint pain, tears, disk problems, etc.?

I know plenty of people who maintain respectable physiques well into their later years, but I struggle to think of any who haven't been on hormones for years.  The next thing I think, then: do the steroids prevent pain and injuries which would be unavoidable if the "athlete" pursued his weightlifting with any degree of intensity?  Do they allow people to prolong their addiction to an inherently self-destructive activity?

Steroids anabolic effects are well known and oft-discussed, but is longevity another of their benefits?  An undervalued and largely far less often mentioned benefit?

I suspect not. Your body was not meant for that type of lifting. From an evolutionary perspective, it was meant to carry rocks and buckets of water. From a Johnny Falcon perspective, its paint houses, mow lawns and work on electricity.
X

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 10:04:46 PM »
With steroids you will trade years at the end of your life for years being swole in your 50s, 60s and if you are very lucky 70s.  If you have bad genetics or if you are an AAS abuser prepare to possibly die much younger.

Jack LaLanne kept a good physique well into his 90s.  Natural?  Hard to know, but if he did use it was in very moderate amounts.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 10:05:39 PM »
Progressive resistance exercise every other day. This allows joints to recover. On the days with no weights, do cardio instead.

Also good to throw in one day a week with no exercise at all.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 10:15:21 PM »
there was a pic of a dude who started when he was 44 yrs old, and now he is 72ish, and he looks young as hell. So, it could be the genes, but it does help.

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 10:22:55 PM »
I'd argue that high volume would probably be good for you. Heavy? Very heavy? Maybe it would be "good" for you...

But if the best workout your heart ever gets is watching the commercials for Olive Garden, I'd say that any vigorous exercise will be better than being sedentary and stuffed with breadsticks.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 12:11:52 AM »
Overthinking things. Lift weights, getbig arms, get the girls. Repeat.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 02:09:24 AM »

73 years old now. Olympic champion Zygmunt Smalcerz.

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 02:12:23 AM »
You need to train the most important muscle in your body (heart). Weight training does not do that.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 02:13:08 AM »
Joints have a finite life span, grinding them down on a regular basis likely doesn't extend the mileage you'll get from your cartilage.

Once things start to break down and get out of alignment it doesn't take much to push them over the edge

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 02:47:29 AM »
You need to train the most important muscle in your body (heart). Weight training does not do that.

bollocks

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 02:54:49 AM »
bollocks

Lol exactly. Weight training has a very positive contribution to your cardiovascular system.

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 03:09:12 AM »
Hello! Anybody home???

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 03:48:48 AM »

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 05:46:22 AM »
I think lifting with moderate weights with good form is safe for a lifetime.

Injuries usually occur when the weights get heavy and form goes out the window.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 09:44:39 AM »
I'd argue that high volume would probably be good for you. Heavy? Very heavy? Maybe it would be "good" for you...

But if the best workout your heart ever gets is watching the commercials for Olive Garden, I'd say that any vigorous exercise will be better than being sedentary and stuffed with breadsticks.

Aren't you in time out junior?

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 09:47:45 AM »
No it's not you will die out early as many have here.

Frank Clairmonte

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM KAI GREENE #BELIEVE

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 11:32:02 AM »

judochoke

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 12:14:18 PM »
im 57, have been lifting cents i was 18. still stong as a ox, still hitting the weights 5 days a week, lots of cardio. they will bury me with a fucking dumbell in my cold hands.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 01:38:33 PM »
It does seem that so many long time lifters have joint issues. Every 400lb bencher I knew in my 20 and 30's can't bench anything in their 50's because of joint issues. It seems the moderate weight volume guys have longevity  and the power bodybuilders seem to have a lot of issues as they age. Of course there are exceptions.

I wish there was a study of long time recreational bodybuilders regarding joint problems. Empirically I can't think of anyone I know who has been lifting for decades that escapes without problems. How many pro's have had hip replacements before 60? I would mention names but I don't want to make any mistakes about it. How many shoulder, knee and elbow operations have you heard about with pro's and friends? Is it good for a 55 year old to be grinding heavy squats on his hip joint? I still squat but it's moderate weights.

I know my right shoulder is shot. It wasn't even from a single episode of lifting. It just started hurting and felt weak. It never goes away. My ortho guy wants to operate saying it's a slap tear but I don't want to deal with the long recovery. I just use lighter weights and deal with the pain for now. 

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 01:51:14 PM »
Almost 50, lifting 30+ years, no aches or pains, look 20 years younger, and in better shape than 99.9999% of the population regardless of age. Lifetime natty though, which means no running my body in overdrive.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 03:04:21 PM »
im 57, have been lifting cents i was 18. still stong as a ox, still hitting the weights 5 days a week, lots of cardio. they will bury me with a fucking dumbell in my cold hands.

Awesome seeing guys my dad's age posting here. I doubt he would get our humour or the appeal. Hope I'm still posting here at 57  8)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 03:09:47 PM »

I believe weight training when done right is beneficial for heart health.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 03:12:07 PM »
Almost 50, lifting 30+ years, no aches or pains, look 20 years younger, and in better shape than 99.9999% of the population regardless of age. Lifetime natty though, which means no running my body in overdrive.

Man, how did you pull that off? 46, and all my gym buddies are broken down everywhere.