Author Topic: Is long-term weightlifting good for you?  (Read 5462 times)

Natural Man

• Getbig V
Re: Is long-term weightlifting good for you?
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2014, 04:24:28 PM »
lifting light/moderate weights 4 to  6 hours  a week, eating clean diet , small amounts of food and staying lean is obviously the best path to last longer.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2014, 04:32:17 PM »
I think moderate resistance training in machines is good for you in the long run.

What exactly is behind the reasoning that only machines would be good?

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2014, 04:36:36 PM »
What exactly is behind the reasoning that only machines would be good?
well they re easier on the skeletton than free weights that's for sure.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2014, 04:44:30 PM »
Fixed motion fitness machines lack adjustability. Very often people are lifting in motions that are biomechanically far from optimal, simply because the machines are not adjusted properly or they are poorly designed.

Ofcourse people can lift poorly with free weights as well, but you are not as limited as when using machines.

I would like to see proof instead of gut feelings that machine training is better for our bodies than free weight lifting.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2014, 05:06:14 PM »
Almost 50, lifting 30+ years, no aches or pains, look 20 years younger, and in better shape than 99.9999% of the population regardless of age. Lifetime natty though, which means no running my body in overdrive.

You're 49 but look 29? You don't have one of those fun house mirrors in your house? Just busting balls.  In better shape than just about everyone regardless of age? You are either delusional or just have amazing conditioning.

I know I'm in good shape for my age but hell I know what I was capable of in my youth with objective numbers. I could string together 5 something minute miles in my youth. Today if I train like a mad man I can only do 7 something minute miles when I run. My physique is just about gone but again for my age I'm way ahead of the curve. My pressing is shot due to shoulder and elbow issues but I still hit hard in the weight room.

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2014, 05:19:44 PM »
classic...

slowing down now...

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2014, 06:19:27 PM »
classic...

slowing down now...

jeez man, where have you been?

:o

btw Thanks for the reply, deceiver.

You too, no one.  Appreciate the honest response.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2014, 06:24:58 PM »
I believe weight training when done right is beneficial for heart health.
its not going to replace cardio

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2014, 06:33:07 PM »
You're 49 but look 29? You don't have one of those fun house mirrors in your house? Just busting balls.  In better shape than just about everyone regardless of age? You are either delusional or just have amazing conditioning.

I know I'm in good shape for my age but hell I know what I was capable of in my youth with objective numbers. I could string together 5 something minute miles in my youth. Today if I train like a mad man I can only do 7 something minute miles when I run. My physique is just about gone but again for my age I'm way ahead of the curve. My pressing is shot due to shoulder and elbow issues but I still hit hard in the weight room.

I'm not far off him age and can mirror those sentiments about regardless of age being at pretty much the top of the food chain not just cosmetically but functional at this size. most guys this size are not in good shape.

look at guys like Wes and simple Simon. they're pushing 70 and look awesome. sorry gentlemen couldn't resist. :D
b

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2014, 06:43:53 PM »
Almost 50, lifting 30+ years, no aches or pains, look 20 years younger, and in better shape than 99.9999% of the population regardless of age. Lifetime natty though, which means no running my body in overdrive.

As natural as two boys fucking

lol
A

T-REX007

• Getbig III
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2014, 08:36:39 PM »
I have to say that lifting well into my 40's has kept me pretty healthy. I have a twin brother who doesn't lift and he has had many more aging related issues lately to deal with. Nothing serious, but just the nagging type of stuff that I seem to have pretty much avoided so far, it's gotta be the consistent exercise

Def can't train like I did in my 20's and 30's though, don't want to either, strength has stayed pretty steady too, happy about that

judochoke

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2014, 10:46:49 PM »
even thou at 57 im still strong as a ox, the heavy powerlifting squat did from 30 to 40 ruined my knees. i cannot do anything but walk on a treadmill. my knees are shot. if i only knew, i would have not
done any powerlifting contests durning that time from 30 to 40. (best squat was 600 drug free, best set was 405 for 20 breathing squats)

T-REX007

• Getbig III
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2014, 05:54:56 AM »
I don't know Judo, competing on that platform and pushing the big weights is a huge rush, we both know it
If you could do it again- ? I bet you would be pretty close to doing the same things, maybe with better form, technique, moderation etc....
An iron warrior is always an iron warrior

Don't mean any disrespect bro, just thinking out loud here, great that you are still in the gym at 57 !

judochoke

• Getbig III
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2014, 02:51:14 PM »
would i powerlift now if i could go back in time to my early thirties?????? i dont think so. even thou i met great guys and had a great time, it seems like im really paying for it not with my knees.
i started officiating basketball when i turned 50, and i knew the right people. i was on a one way ticket to working all year long, doing kids games, high school, rec games, ect. i was having a blast
reffing basketball. and then my knees started to hurt, then they really started to hurt. doctor told me i was too young for a replacement, too heavy, ect. i said what am i going to do for cardio. the prick said, ride
a bike. so my basketball career was over. i felt like crying on the way home that day. and now, i could not fucking run 30 feet. it sucks