Author Topic: Meniscal tear  (Read 1285 times)

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Meniscal tear
« on: June 26, 2014, 12:19:38 AM »
Tear goes pretty deep into medial meniscus. Surgeon want to remove 30-50% of my menicus. Right not can barely bend knee. Was hoping to avoid surg. Anyway. Who has experience w lifting after meniscal surg. 30-50 of my medial men wil be gone decreasing shock absorption there. Has anyone had partial meniscus removal n still leg press, squat etc?

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
Re: Meniscal tear
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 03:11:01 AM »
how long has it been since you tore the miniscus? have you had a cortizone injection yet?

i tore the posterior horn of the miniscus april of 2013 had no surgery and am fine. still squatting over 800lbs.

my buddy had his removed in both knees back in high school and he still squats heavy, over 700lbs.

you may want a second opion on surgery.
sept 10th APF

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 03:26:50 AM »
I've been athletic all my life. Martial arts n bb. U know wut the f did me in?  Dam bouncy house at my nephews bday party lol!  I'm working thru it. Don't want the surg but so much fluid in my knee its hard to bend. I actually tore it a couple years ago n that's the reason the surgeon wants to op. As I get older he says it'll flare up more n more often. I'm gonna rehab in the gym n hope to get back to heavy lifting. If it gets better n happens again ill prolly opt for surg. Its flared up n went away twice in the last year n I have lost months of leg training which I really miss.

Simple Simon

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 03:29:17 AM »
Ask the trainer, hes torn just about every part of his body at some point.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 07:47:49 AM »
Tore left twice and right once. Excellent surgery all 3 times. Used Hyaluronic Acid, which is the fluid in the joint, as a supplement. Be sure its Bio Available so it can pass thru gut and get absorbed in the joints. Did squats for the next 20 years. Albeit only 80% max of pre surgery. I am pain free in my mid 70s.

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 07:51:14 AM »
I'm 52...had a bucket tear fixed a couple of years ago.   I walked out of the car and in to my house after the surgery and was completely symptom (swelling, pain etc..) after a week.   My surgeon (he's fixed a couple of other ortho issues) thinks I'm some kind of healing freak.

None of that helps you at all...but I just like sharing    :)

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »
I tore my minscus last year. 1wk out from a powerlifting meet. I was walking across a parking lot on a very slight downward slope... yep, walking across a parkinglot it just went "pop".
sept 10th APF

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 10:00:58 AM »
I have a torn meniscus right now. I've had it for years. It's a voluntary surgery. I have normal heavy leg days. Just let it calm down for a few weeks or you can opt for the surgery. Your choice. But remember, meniscus will not heal. Keep a neoprene sleeve on it. Remove it early evening until you decide on surgery

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »
I have a torn meniscus right now. I've had it for years. It's a voluntary surgery. I have normal heavy leg days. Just let it calm down for a few weeks or you can opt for the surgery. Your choice. But remember, meniscus will not heal. Keep a neoprene sleeve on it. Remove it early evening until you decide on surgery
Must of been one brutal set of box squats.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 10:45:33 AM »
Must of been one brutal set of box squats.

I wasn't training when I did it you bowl hair, long neck twink.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 10:46:16 AM »
Even better.

Simple Simon

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 11:02:34 AM »

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 11:03:09 AM »
Thx guys. Gonna give it thru the summer. If its still bad I'm gonna get the surg. On a side note. I've always paid out paid out of pocket for over 20 years to get my wife I great insurance. Got a letter from this communist govt that we have to give it up n choose from the gayley named bronze gold or platnum bullshit Obamacare. To get my equivalent ins will cost over double per month wut I pay now n its still not as good. So that's another reason to get it done this year if I have to.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 01:21:33 PM »
I've been squatting with a partially torn right meniscus for the past 20 years.  Sounds like breaking celery when I walk up stairs.  Really no reason I can see to have surgery.  IMO, it's more risky anytime they cut you open.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 01:31:13 PM »

I know a couple people that tore the meniscus. Neither person can recall an exact moment in which the tear occurred. They definetly didn't have an injury in the gym while training.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 02:52:39 PM »
If you aren`t measuring liquid by weight, always measure at eye level and make sure the meniscus is in the center to avoid parallax error.  The meniscus will not need surgery or anything like that. 

Alpine

• Getbig III
  • That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 03:02:03 PM »
Ask the trainer, hes torn just about every part of his body at some point.

Its true. The trainer is 10% BF, 250lbs of experience, blood and sweat. He's torn about everything. He once tore his MCL hiking in the mountains and had to karate chop down a pine with his bare hand to make a sled so he his blue ox could pull him out of the woods on it.

Consult the trainer.