Author Topic: How many miles can you run for? Running is 10x harder than weight training.  (Read 8680 times)

Leatherneck

• Getbig IV
  • Still as lean, just as mean, former US Marine
I enjoy doing one or two half marathons or full marathons a year. I run year round but unless I'm specifically training for a race I don't do more than 15 miles a week. Protecting my joints is a priority.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Running to a certain point is good....I believe the marker is 25mi/week. Anything beyond that is going to have a negative impact. Marathoners show symptoms of heart attacks or heart damage after a marathon.

In my opinion, running is more difficult than lifting. A challenging sprint workout is many times harder than a challenging lifting workout. A long run vs lifting? The long run will only be harder if you push the pace.

But I've thrown up after many races and runs, I've never thrown up after a lifting session.

Also, TA, I get that this is getbig and all, but if you're gonna say long distance running is "so easy" please inject some humility into those statements so they're more credible  :P
I think if you did 20 sets of 20 rep squats with the heaviest you can go to complete 20 with one minute rest between sets, you might throw up.  :D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
You should be able to walk on to the US Olympic track team then ::)

Lol you are such a tool
You have no clue how difficult track is.  Its a game of milliseconds, even in long distance.  A few seconds difference and you won`t even make it to any regional open or qualify for pre-qualification runs.  This despite being about the same speed and level of endurance of someone who may be running in top position.

You don`t just walk on an Olympic track team.  Its not college football for fucks sake.

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
I think if you did 20 sets of 20 rep squats with the heaviest you can go to complete 20 with one minute rest between sets, you might throw up.  :D

I'll formulate a plan. You don't push hard til you blow chunks.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Some ignorant things being said on this thread. A couple of points.  I have found the guys who are critical of running tend to be out of shape guys who are delusional about their physical capabilities.

1.It's not how many miles you can log but the intensity. A friend of mine runs marathons and I went for a 4 mile run with him and he couldn't keep up. You can completely exhaust any runner or athlete in one mile if the speed is fast enough.

2. Yes, the heart is the most important muscle. The reason why so many bodybuilders don't train the heart is because they can't show it off.

3. Any sport that requires a gas tank like boxing, wrestling or MMA will have to put some miles on the road. I always use to get laughs when I was involved with boxing and jui jitsu to see the bodybuilder come to the gym and leave with his tail between his legs as the "twink" beats the crap out of the no gas tank bodybuilder.

4. Regarding life expectancy the world's foremost expert on cardio is Kenneth Cooper. He said that health benefits increase in a bell shaped curve. Over a certain point you are training to become a better athlete and not necessarily to increase life expectancy. Make no mistake. Running is beneficial to your health.

5. Running increases measurable parameters in health.

6. Running decreases your resting heart beat. That illustrates that your heart is stronger through training. Many distance runners have a resting heart beat of 40 bpm.

7. Running decreases blood fat known as triglycerides.

8. Running can lower blood pressure.

9. It decreases visceral fat that can lead to so many metabolic problems.

10. It also decreases subcutaneous fat.

11. It can increase peripheral capillaries of the heart that can save you during a heart attack.  

12. Sure people die during cardio but it has prevented so many heart attacks that you have to talk about bias when people bring up athletes dying from heart attacks. Many are due to a genetic electrical  defect from a thick heart wall. What do they do for rehab after a heart operation? They have them do cardio.

13. Running decreases blood sugar that can prevent diabetes and all the health implications from that problem.

14. Runners have found to have high bone density that contradicts some flawed previous studies.

15. Running increases red blood cells that carry oxygen throughout the body.

16. Running without a doubt increases a favorable mood. So from a psychological standpoint it's an anti depressant.

I could go on. Maybe I will add more later. If you lift, eat right and do cardio without bodybuilding drugs you are doing great things for your health.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Running is like dancing, it's an activity for women and homosexuals.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
I can bench press 120kgx8 and I'm sticking to it, anything more is not worthwhile for a natural. It took me 4 years to go from 100kgx8 to 120kgx8 lol.
120kg x 8 is pretty good for a natural so Kudos

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
Sprints are far superior than long distance running.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
You have no clue how difficult track is.  Its a game of milliseconds, even in long distance.  A few seconds difference and you won`t even make it to any regional open or qualify for pre-qualification runs.  This despite being about the same speed and level of endurance of someone who may be running in top position.

You don`t just walk on an Olympic track team.  Its not college football for fucks sake.

You just said running is the easiest thing in the world, that you have genetically blessed lungs/ribcage, and 'can run forever' without any difficulty, im sure you could easily win the distance events since running forever is 'nothing' for you :D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
You just said running is the easiest thing in the world, that you have genetically blessed lungs/ribcage, and 'can run forever' without any difficulty, im sure you could easily win the distance events since running forever is 'nothing' for you :D
For me its easy.  Easiest sport I ever competed in.  For you, its probably difficult.  I did win many events and did try to take it as far as I could and then I quit when I was tired of being 120-130 lbs at nearly 6 feet tall.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Translation, I can't run a mile without keeling over so anyone that can I will insult. You have to cheer up droppingplates. Your endless negative posts make you sound like an unemployed 20 something living in a room in his mother's house hating life.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
Great post oldtimer

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Translation, I can't run a mile without keeling over so anyone that can I will insult. You have to cheer up droppingplates. Your endless negative posts make you sound like an unemployed 20 something living in a room in his mother's house hating life.
::)
I am sure he can "run" a mile.  Anyone can.  Even the most out of shape fatbody can clock in around 10-20 minutes.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior

I can run forever.  Easiest thing I know how to do.  I take it you never participated in any kind of running athletics ever.

Some people just aren`t any good at it.  I get that.  I happen to be extremely good at long distance running.  It really is a waste of time for me.  

At what speed can you run 'forever'?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Faster than you will ever be able to.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem

The same speed he can deadlift 225 for 112 reps without putting it down :D

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas

Three facts of peace #1, I just got home from work, #2, I won the cooper test two times in my highschool years #3, 20 something? I could only wish :'(
Nothing wrong with my stamina, HIIT rocks and I ride a bicycle every day!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Running is also one of the only sports you can do even at an old age (easy sport in reality to anyone).  Your times really don`t drop off that much even in your 50s.  It takes about 45 years (consistent runner) to drop to the level they were running at age 19.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
I can run to my mailbox.

Europe

• Getbig IV
I am sure he can "run" a mile.  Anyone can.  Even the most out of shape fatbody can clock in around 10-20 minutes.
Running or doing some kind of cardio workout is much better than being a fat lethargic permabulker(CSWOL), with your posts it would look that you advice people NOT to improve their cardiovascular state.

But I agree too much of ANYTHING is bad for you.. like 8hrs arm workout a la R(BI)ich Piana.

Most runners also seem well spoken, sound mind & very humble, while bodybuilders are insecure, clinical insane & not very intelligent. /JK there's good and bad in everything, just learn to take the good and avoid the bad.

falco

• Getbig V

That was kind'a harsh friend.  ???

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Running or doing some kind of cardio workout is much better than being a fat lethargic permabulker(CSWOL), with your posts it would look that you advice people NOT to improve their cardiovascular state.

But I agree too much of ANYTHING is bad for you.. like 8hrs arm workout a la R(BI)ich Piana.

Most runners also seem well spoken, sound mind & very humble, while bodybuilders are insecure, clinical insane & not very intelligent. /JK there's good and bad in everything, just learn to take the good and avoid the bad.
A serious runner is of sound mind?  Nah.  They are way more delusional than the bodybuilder.  Not only do they obsess over Potassium content in the most minute things every day, Obsess about the milimeter heel height of a running shoe,  they have to run every single day no matter what.  You try keeping them from doing that one or several days and they lose their mind.  Chances are they will sneak off some place to run.  They are some of the most OCD people I have ever come across. And then there is the constant banter ad naseum about the "event" they are training for.  Very tiresome to endure that nonsense talk.  Just do a search or go on any running forum and you will see.   Here is one.  Most everyone is batshit insane on there.  http://www.therunningforum.com/index.php/topic/326-what-was-your-workout-today/

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Was in a serious powerlifting gym in Ohio last week and I heard a couple of PL'ers talking. One of them referred to deadlift triples as "cardio." It's all in your perception.