Author Topic: Why did you become a fitness/figure competitor?  (Read 3913 times)

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
Why did you become a fitness/figure competitor?
« on: January 26, 2006, 11:24:05 AM »
Seriously there is no money or recognition. Plus with all heard of the dark sides of this "profession".
just push some weight!

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
Re: Why did you become a fitness/figure competitor?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 01:57:56 PM »
Seriously there is no money or recognition. Plus with all heard of the dark sides of this "profession".

I'm an athlete first and foremost and although many don't believe bodybuilding/figure is a sport, it helps me stay motivated and keep on track with the rest of my life.  At this point I won't be going to the Olympics in Track or any other sport and I wanted to do something.  Figure shows fit my body type and I love being on stage. 

For me it would never be about the money (it would be nice to not have to PAY for everything) but it is about being involved in something bigger then myself.  You could ask why men do bb shows, not even 1% of them will ever go Pro and they pay a hell of a lot more for their "gear" then most Figure girls ever will. 

Although many guys on the board state they don't like lean girls, it isn't about what you guys like all the time-sometimes it is about US and what WE like.  Personally when I am dieted and have a six pack I love the way my body looks.  I love getting in the gym and taking my frustrations out and pumping serious weight.  I like being different then the general public, and having goals outside of my work.  Competing makes life more fun for me (even with the months of dieting) and the people I have met during this time have become my friends.   

All sports basically have a "dark side" as do most other things in life.  If you are a good person and use good judgement these things don't matter.  I will never be forced to make a decision I don't feel comfortable with in this "profession" just as I wouldn't in my career.  As long as you have a clear vision of who you are and where you want to go, the "dark side" shouldn't sway your decisions, if it does then it isn't bodybuilding that is the issue-it is your own inner strength.   
Jennifer

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 10:26:08 AM »
great post thats what training is all about pushing yourself to be the best you can be for yourself people dont understand why i put in the countless hours and days in the gym trianing and watching what i eat they say its so i look good for other people at the club an so on! I do it for myself and to see were i can go with training. I have been on the other end of fitness, 230 out of shape and feeling like shit then when i started traineng hard i liked the results and i did it for me thats why people should trian for themselves.

docvenus

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Stay Fit and Be Happy!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 06:31:45 PM »
I entered my first fitness competition after seeing one on TV while sitting at a sports bar in South Beach.  A friend who was with me suggested I give it a try...perhaps jokingly at the time...but being somewhat of an adventurous type who likes to try out new things, I said "Why Not?".  So I looked up more information about competing on the internet and the very next year, I was on stage in my first fitness contest.  That was 10 years ago.

Why do I continue to do it?  Being a rehab physician, I have made it my career to promote a healthy and fit lifestyle.  I've discovered that my outside interests...including fitness and figure competition...only enhance my ability to motivate others, whether they be patients, friends, co-workers, fellow competitors, or my community at large.

And honestly,  I simply have a lot of fun competing!

-Venus
 www.DrVenus.com

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 08:22:04 AM »

Hey, Venus - you looked great on 'The Bachelor'.

That fool really missed out!  ;) 

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 11:33:56 AM »
Hey, Venus - you looked great on 'The Bachelor'.
That fool really missed out!  ;) 

He sure did!  He's probably going to pick the psycho chick kindergarten teacher!

docvenus

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Stay Fit and Be Happy!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 12:52:03 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words!  That's exactly the kind of support that keeps me returning to the contest stage year after year.

But I can't fault The Bachelor too much...he only had a couple minutes to talk with some of us...very hard to cut 13 out of 25 women on the first night.  (But probably not nearly as hard as to choose a top 5 out of 20 to 30 amazing physiques on a figure stage!)

-Venus
 www.DrVenus.com