Author Topic: Evidence of massive-scale emotional contagion through social networks  (Read 976 times)

Alpine

• Getbig III
  • That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
Facebook is a cancer. Here is one more reason not to let yourself get consumed with it and the "image"  or pesona of yourself which you project and create for others.

Scientists at Facebook have published a paper showing that they manipulated the content seen by more than 600,000 users in an attempt to determine whether this would affect their emotional state. The paper, “Experimental evidence of massive-scale emotional contagion through social networks,” was published in The Proceedings Of The National Academy Of Sciences. It shows how Facebook data scientists tweaked the algorithm that determines which posts appear on users’ news feeds—specifically, researchers skewed the number of positive or negative terms seen by randomly selected users. Facebook then analyzed the future postings of those users over the course of a week to see if people responded with increased positivity or negativity of their own, thus answering the question of whether emotional states can be transmitted across a social network. Result: They can! Which is great news for Facebook data scientists hoping to prove a point about modern psychology. It’s less great for the people having their emotions secretly manipulated.

Facebook data scientist Adam Kramer is listed as the study’s lead author. In an interview the company released a few years ago, Kramer is quoted as saying he joined Facebook because “Facebook data constitutes the largest field study in the history of the world.”

http://www.avclub.com/article/facebook-tinkered-users-feeds-massive-psychology-e-206324

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
FB is a free service, they can do what they want. If FB gave folks cancer for-realz, a full 75% of the users would stay.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
X

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
I've been saying this since "social media" started.  

It's a virus... a disease... a cancer.  

Same thing goes for cell/smart phones and texting.

EVERY keystroke you put into this matrix is saved forever in a government/NSA data base.  

Unplug yourself from this cancer now before it's too late.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Translatiom: weve figured out we can manipulate the masses by controlling what they see.

Soon we will be tweaking the algorithms to only show certain news, certainpolitical opinions, certain positives of things we approve of and all negatives lf things we disprove of.

Slightly scary when you think about how stupid the average user is.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
I like fukking some people in the butt using FB (by pics for ex. Which show a much better life than theirs..), to be more specific - these who invited me in a "friend list" probably just because they wanted to do the same or were curious to know the ways to a certain positive outcomes in my life but had nothing to offer in return.
 If your life is shit - better stay away from it as you'll probably get angry seeing other people who are doing better, but if you're doing well - embrace it, it may help you to find "friends" that will help to rise you even more and you can indirectly make fun of current losers who harmed you in the past or just thought their shit doesn't smell.

Lol, I really get a kick seeing some past "tough guys" who thought they are the shit, married to 6/10 (at their best hair/make-up day) with a few ugly kids while I post a pic enjoying myself with a beautiful young lady somehwere in a nice place (note: no attempt to become another "baller" here, I'm no millionaire with a cocaine/v.secret model fucking lifestyle, just doing pretty well).

Dr.J

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Facebook,  never had never will.... ;)
Mr. AZ 2003

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
am imune to mind controll

Sophus

• Getbig IV
am imune to mind controll

Interestingly that is exactly what everybody is thinking

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
I've been saying this since "social media" started.  

It's a virus... a disease... a cancer.  

Same thing goes for cell/smart phones and texting.

EVERY keystroke you put into this matrix is saved forever in a government/NSA data base.  

and message boards.
Y

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
Re: Evidence of massive-scale emotional contagion through social networks
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 10:30:21 AM »
and message boards.

True. 

More addictive for some, especially the nut jobs who post here 20-30x a day.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 10:31:32 AM »
True. 

More addictive for some, especially the nut jobs who post here 20-30x a day.

If you work in front of a PC for 9 hours a day, 20-30 posts a day is nothing.  I don't do it, but easily could, without disrupting my work.
Y

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 10:37:43 AM »
If you work in front of a PC for 9 hours a day, 20-30 posts a day is nothing.  I don't do it, but easily could, without disrupting my work.
I do. Especially when testing full machine cycles that can take 3 hours with 3 minutes of button pushing every 30 min.