Author Topic: Is Gold's Gym Venice - the Mecca closing down?  (Read 8794 times)

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Is Gold's Gym Venice - the Mecca closing down?
« on: June 29, 2014, 08:05:53 AM »
Was at Gold's yest and noticed some of the machines are not kept up as well as in the past.  Then someone said that beyond a doubt that this time its not a rumor.  Gold's Venice is closing.  Gonna talk to the staff and confirm today.   :'(

AD2100

• Getbig IV
Re: the Mecca closing
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 08:34:34 AM »
Your time has long since passed.

Adios, GOLD'S GYM, Venice! All herald in the new Planet Fitness era!

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 08:42:06 AM »
Google bought the property years ago.  It's been suspected for quite some time that the Venice Gold's would be closed or moved out of there.

Huge technology/media companies like Google and Facebook are one with US government/NSA.  They get what they want.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 09:46:47 AM »
Except for Charles Glass, Ric Drasin and maybe a half dozen others its not really the Mecca anymore. Just another gym full of skinny fat Planet Fitness types.

Fortunately my memory banks are full of the good 'ol days.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 10:01:18 AM »
Ok. There's a lil over a year left on their lease from google. Supposedly trying to negotiate for longer lease at leases end so I guess well see wut happens.

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 10:13:42 AM »
Hope not closing.
Just visited Golds last month.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 10:16:25 AM »
What's the cost per day?  I have to take a drive and check it out.  maybe pay through the nose for a meal at the firehouse.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 10:29:09 AM »
I am glad it's closed.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 10:33:28 AM »
What's the cost per day?  I have to take a drive and check it out.  maybe pay through the nose for a meal at the firehouse.

$20 if you're a retard and tell them you're from out of town

tell them you live in SM, Venice or MDR and are looking to join a gym and you'll get a free pass

Simple Simon

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 10:35:48 AM »

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 10:57:23 AM »
Looks like its staying.

http://www.laweekly.com/informer/2012/05/15/confirmed-google-will-take-over-golds-gym-in-venice-plus-170000-square-feet-of-surrounding-real-estate

Update No. 1: Google spokesman Jordan Newman confirms that Google will begin renting out the Gold's building in summer 2014. But, he says, "we have no plans to expand into Gold's Gym space. In fact, we are working with them to extend their lease." Newman has no comment on the remaining 170,000 square feet, aside from his previous statement that "we have no immediate plans to expand."

Update No. 2: Apparently in response to disgruntled muscle men, L.A. City Councilman Bill Rosendahl has taken the Gold's-to-Google debacle into his own hands. He promises in a statement today that Google "wants the gym to stay where it is," and even "hopes to strike an agreement that will keep Gold's Gym where it is for 10 more years":
X

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 11:09:19 AM »
If it does close for economic reasons (No, not Obama...this time) it's because of what I've been saying. The overhead is too big for what they charge. I'm sure real estate isn't cheap and for as long as Gold's has been around, they should actually own the freaking property instead of leasing it.

Like most of the big commercial box gyms....and Gold's is a typical "box" gym, I'm sure they run in the red every year.

Frank Clairmonte

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM KAI GREENE #BELIEVE
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 11:17:23 AM »
i bet that charles glass will drop few tears if this is true.

sad

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »

I ate at the Firehouse 7-8 years ago and prices were fairly reasonable.  However, they recently raised their prices to ridiculous levels... brutal.  

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 11:21:57 AM »
Except for Charles Glass, Ric Drasin and maybe a half dozen others its not really the Mecca anymore. Just another gym full of skinny fat Planet Fitness types.

Fortunately my memory banks are full of the good 'ol days.
EVERY TIME I AM IN GOLD'S I SEE DEX, RICO, CORMIER, PEDRO, GLASS, HESTER, WORLD HARRIS, O'HEARN, ETC......

STILL HEAVILY POPULATED WITH BBING CELEBS.

HOPE THIS STORY IS NOT TRUE!

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 11:22:10 AM »
Looks like its staying.

http://www.laweekly.com/informer/2012/05/15/confirmed-google-will-take-over-golds-gym-in-venice-plus-170000-square-feet-of-surrounding-real-estate

Update No. 1: Google spokesman Jordan Newman confirms that Google will begin renting out the Gold's building in summer 2014. But, he says, "we have no plans to expand into Gold's Gym space. In fact, we are working with them to extend their lease." Newman has no comment on the remaining 170,000 square feet, aside from his previous statement that "we have no immediate plans to expand."

Update No. 2: Apparently in response to disgruntled muscle men, L.A. City Councilman Bill Rosendahl has taken the Gold's-to-Google debacle into his own hands. He promises in a statement today that Google "wants the gym to stay where it is," and even "hopes to strike an agreement that will keep Gold's Gym where it is for 10 more years":

Article is from 2012.   ::)

Even if it stays, watch the membership fees increase by 100% to compensate for Google's rental rape.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 11:24:39 AM »
It would be funny if it is closes and all the bodybuilders throw a tantrum and boycotted google. The boycotting would be epic. All 63 bodybuilders would abstain from using google as their search engine to look for schmoes. A major collapse of Google and the US economy.
X

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “No no. Down here, Louie.”
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 11:38:38 AM »

If they want me to move my van, they're going to have to arm wrestle me for it. I'm not even sure that the piece of shit will even start.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 11:40:47 AM »
It was just a gym with the brand name Gold's gym.

I only care about the original Gold's, the place were Arnold trained during the 70's.

I believe that place is a private residence now, but I hope when the owners move on someone will buy it, restore it to the original gym and make it into the world's most awesome bodybuilding museum.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 11:41:18 AM »

If they want me to move my van, they're going to have to arm wrestle me for it. I'm not even sure that the piece of shit will ever start.

This is pretty similar to Goodrums life. Except he lives in a trailer and has Caliber Fitness, the greatest training/nutrition website ever to grace the world.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 11:42:22 AM »
Article is from 2012.   ::)

Even if it stays, watch the membership fees increase by 100% to compensate for Google's rental rape.

Damn, I have to keep better tabs on the dates of bodybuilding articles!
X

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “No no. Down here, Louie.”
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 11:47:03 AM »
This is pretty similar to Goodrums life. Except he lives in a trailer and has Caliber Fitness, the greatest training/nutrition website ever to grace the world.
In 6 months, Vince could still be in the van, but if he can out lift everybody, out squat every body, out bench ‘em… who’s the king?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2014, 01:27:56 PM »
 :'(  sorry to hear it but that don't effect me any got tons of my own iron. ;D ;D ;D ;D
F

Gater

• Getbig I
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2014, 02:07:34 PM »

If they want me to move my van, they're going to have to arm wrestle me for it. I'm not even sure that the piece of shit will ever start.

I warmed up on the step mill next to this bloke in April last year, he was later seen getting carted out on a stretcher...

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 02:21:02 PM »
I warmed up on the step mill next to this bloke in April last year, he was later seen getting carted out on a stretcher...

Did he recover