Author Topic: Is Gold's Gym Venice - the Mecca closing down?  (Read 8767 times)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Re: the Mecca closing
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 04:15:05 PM »
Damn, I have to keep better tabs on the dates of bodybuilding articles!
They are moving to Goodrum's vacant trailer for awhile.

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 04:22:49 PM »
$20 if you're a retard and tell them you're from out of town

tell them you live in SM, Venice or MDR and are looking to join a gym and you'll get a free pass

And if the front desk clerk isn't a retard they will require your ID for any free pass

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 04:35:06 PM »
It would be funny if it is closes and all the bodybuilders throw a tantrum and boycotted google. The boycotting would be epic. All 63 bodybuilders would abstain from using google as their search engine to look for schmoes. A major collapse of Google and the US economy.

;D

Gater

• Getbig I
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 06:20:44 PM »
Did he recover

He was hooked up to some oxygen, paramedics did not seem to be in great rush getting him out of there, hopefully he recovered...

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 06:55:08 PM »
Unfortunately this is what I heard too. The Perlhof and Webster Comp. is leasing one of there property's to Google . (the old gas company building right across Golds)
I have heard from Webster that Google made an offer on the Gold's building so high ,they couldn't refuse. That was 2 years ago.
Golds is looking to move to the culver city area, for a bigger, newer building.
I have great Memory's from Gold's Gym. From the mid 80s on. It truly was the MECCA of Bodybuilding but it has changed for the worse after the couple from South Africa sold it.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2014, 07:09:20 PM »
:'(  sorry to hear it but that don't effect me any got tons of my own iron. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ha, nice pair of old ''ball' dumbells  :)

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2014, 07:18:46 PM »
It was just a gym with the brand name Gold's gym.

I only care about the original Gold's, the place were Arnold trained during the 70's.

I believe that place is a private residence now, but I hope when the owners move on someone will buy it, restore it to the original gym and make it into the world's most awesome bodybuilding museum.
i respectfully disagree. The Mecca in the 80s n 90s was not just another gym. It still isn't just another gym to this day. Its got an electric atmosphere. One of the best in the world. There r still tons of well known bodybuilders lots of beautiful women n some of the best variety of old school and new school equipment of any gym...period. The Mecca is pretty much still packed w members day n night.

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2014, 07:31:29 PM »
u respectfully disagree. The Mecca in the 80s n 90s was not just another gym. It still isn't just another gym to this day. Its got an electric atmosphere. One of the best in the world. There r still tons of well known bodybuilders lots of beautiful women n some of the best variety of old school and new school equipment of any gym...period. The Mecca is pretty much still packed w members day n night.
Very true! Its still a madhouse and its hard to get parking. But back in the day it was like no other gym around.
People came from Sweden, Austria Russia , Indo China just about every country on this planet just to have one workout or take a pict. lol I'm telling you sometimes there were even Aliens from the other side of the universe in Gold's hitting the squad rack. Or at least that's what they looked like. It was fucking great..

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2014, 07:43:27 PM »
Very true! Its still a madhouse and its hard to get parking. But back in the day it was like no other gym around.
People came from Sweden, Austria Russia , Indo China just about every country on this planet just to have one workout or take a pict. lol I'm telling you sometimes there were even Aliens from the other side of the universe in Gold's hitting the squad rack. Or at least that's what they looked like. It was fucking great..

feminine women and non pregnant men. those were the days

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
wut year did it move?  I remember I just missed it. I never did workout in the original golds dammit. Was at vinces a couple times back in the day

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2014, 07:47:11 PM »
feminine women and non pregnant men. those were the days

Now we have this instead

X

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
:'(  sorry to hear it but that don't effect me any got tons of my own iron. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Sweet fucking setup buddy!

I`m extremely jealous.  :(

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2014, 09:24:20 PM »

Huge technology/media companies like Google and Facebook are one with US government/NSA.  They get what they want.

I'm sorry to hear about Gold's but this is the larger issue to me.  I am shocked that most people have no problem with companies like Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple, etc getting so big and so powerful and obviously being best buddies with the federal government.  These are the same liberals that used to cry about censorship and fascism.  Now that their guy is in the White House they suddenly don't have a problem with it.  I don't mind them being giant hypocrites.  I'm just worried about that big hammer that they are swinging around.  Way too powerful, way too powerful.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2014, 09:26:56 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about Gold's but this is the larger issue to me.  I am shocked that most people have no problem with companies like Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple, etc getting so big and so powerful and obviously being best buddies with the federal government.  These are the same liberals that used to cry about censorship and fascism.  Now that their guy is in the White House they suddenly don't have a problem with it.  I don't mind them being giant hypocrites.  I'm just worried about that big hammer that they are swinging around.  Way too powerful, way too powerful.

Must be how Phil Heath feels. Heath swinging around that big hammer with his 100s

X

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2014, 09:33:14 PM »
Now we have this instead

Caption-

"What can I do in my photos to emphasize my horse face?" 

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2014, 10:38:57 PM »
Must be how Phil Heath feels. Heath swinging around that big hammer nasal passage with his 100s

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2014, 11:41:55 PM »
i respectfully disagree. The Mecca in the 80s n 90s was not just another gym. It still isn't just another gym to this day. Its got an electric atmosphere. One of the best in the world. There r still tons of well known bodybuilders lots of beautiful women n some of the best variety of old school and new school equipment of any gym...period. The Mecca is pretty much still packed w members day n night.

Point taken. It's not just a gym.

But I was a little disappointed when I learned they moved it. The pumping iron gym Is the one I'd like to see.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2014, 06:12:09 AM »
It was just a gym with the brand name Gold's gym.

I only care about the original Gold's, the place were Arnold trained during the 70's.

I believe that place is a private residence now, but I hope when the owners move on someone will buy it, restore it to the original gym and make it into the world's most awesome bodybuilding museum.

I keep waiting for Arnold to do something like that.  It'd be good PR too as long as he pushed the health & fitness aspect instead of the drugs, as he always has.  His image needs a paint job and Fitness Museum Benefactor beats 'decrepit maid humper' any day. 

Someone should send him an email.  The movie thing isn't happening for him anymore, so it'd be a great way to get back to his roots, serve the community, blah blah.  It'd also be really cool.

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2014, 06:22:43 AM »
I keep waiting for Arnold to do something like that.  It'd be good PR too as long as he pushed the health & fitness aspect instead of the drugs, as he always has.  His image needs a paint job and Fitness Museum Benefactor beats 'decrepit maid humper' any day. 

Someone should send him an email.  The movie thing isn't happening for him anymore, so it'd be a great way to get back to his roots, serve the community, blah blah.  It'd also be really cool.
I know that Arnold has some of the original equipment. One of the old cable machines he has in his trailer when he is on location

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2014, 06:41:08 AM »

You are a wise man

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2014, 06:57:50 AM »

If they want me to move my van, they're going to have to arm wrestle me for it. I'm not even sure that the piece of shit will even start.

true getbigger right there.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2014, 07:05:39 AM »
It's a sweet place, but also highly overrated. Every time when I see a Gold's video, I see more people talking, resting & texting than lifting.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2014, 07:59:14 AM »

Classic pic right there. But you do know that is the second place, right? Not the current location.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2014, 08:19:31 AM »
It's a sweet place, but also highly overrated. Every time when I see a Gold's video, I see more people talking, resting & texting than lifting.
keep your mouth shut until you actually go there and experience it in person......

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2014, 08:23:03 AM »
keep your mouth shut until you actually go there and experience it in person......

Man, I would love to, but I guess I have to hurry.
PS, my mouth stays open, deal with that.