Author Topic: Obama loses again at Supreme Court- loses Hobby Lobby case.  (Read 2968 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Boom

Link to follow

F you Obama you piece of shit

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Obama loses again at Supreme Court- loses Hobby Lobby case.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 07:31:43 AM »
BREAKING: Court Sides With Hobby Lobby
Townhall ^  | Jun 30, 2014 | Christine Rousselle

Posted on ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2014‎ ‎10‎:‎24‎:‎29‎ ‎AM by george76

In a victory for religious freedom, the Supreme Court ruled today 5-4 in favor of Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. and Conestoga Wood Specialties Corp. in the case Burwell v. Hobby Lobby (formerly named Sebelius v. Hobby Lobby). The case was the strongest legal challenge to Obamacare since 2012.

Justice Alito authored the majority opinion, and Justice Kennedy wrote a concurring opinion.

(Excerpt) Read more at townhall.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 07:37:05 AM »

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 07:41:33 AM »
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/06/30/supreme-court-pares-back-obamacares-contraception-mandate

:D

KABBBOOOMMMMMMMMM

F you ofag and fluke Pelosi etc -  SLAMMED

Actually, you lose because now you're taxes are going to go up in order to cover it rather than businesses.......the plan doesn't go away.  It also affects Social Security and minimum wage benefits with the ruling.
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 08:10:34 AM »

Actually, you lose because now you're taxes are going to go up in order to cover it rather than businesses.......the plan doesn't go away.  It also affects Social Security and minimum wage benefits with the ruling.

I'm sorry, is Obama still relevant anymore? Same with your taxes too Vince. Fucking people too lazy to spend a few dollars a month on birth control. Why do libs feel this sense of self-entitlement Vince? Why do they think everything should be given to them?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 08:15:27 AM »

Actually, you lose because now you're taxes are going to go up in order to cover it rather than businesses.......the plan doesn't go away.  It also affects Social Security and minimum wage benefits with the ruling.

I suspect my taxes won't go up for this.....the plan has been gutted...more so by Obama then by anything this does. the plan has even been fully implemented. Just wait..... ;D
L

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 08:15:49 AM »
I'm sorry, is Obama still relevant anymore? Same with you're taxes too Vince. Fucking people too lazy to spend a few dollars a month on birth control. Why do libs feel this sense of self-entitlement Vince? Why do they think everything should be given to them?

I'd rather spend money on tax dollars for birth control than spend a lot for someone's bratty little shitter.  This ruling is certainly partisan in all ways and is going to cause a shitload of problems for everyone.  If a business can claim "religious freedom" then they can claim it on a lot of other bullshit.

Big mistake...
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 08:22:04 AM »

I'd rather spend money on tax dollars for birth control than spend a lot for someone's bratty little shitter.  This ruling is certainly partisan in all ways and is going to cause a shitload of problems for everyone.  If a business can claim "religious freedom" then they can claim it on a lot of other bullshit.

Big mistake...

Answer my questions Vince. Why this sense of entitlement?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 08:24:22 AM »
Obama doing great in court

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 08:25:58 AM »

Supreme Court Rules Family-Owned Corporations Are Not Required to Pay for Contraception Coverage
Requiring family-owned corporations to pay for insurance coverage for contraception violated a federal law protecting religious freedom, the Supreme Court ruled in a 5 to 4 decision on Monday.
The decision, which applied to two companies owned by Christian families, opened the door to challenges from other corporations to many laws that may be said to violate their religious liberty.
The coverage requirement was put in place under President Obama’s Affordable Care Act. It was challenged by two corporations whose owners say they try to run their businesses on religious principles: Hobby Lobby, a chain of crafts stores, and Conestoga Wood Specialties, which makes wood cabinets.
READ MORE »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/01/us/supreme-court-ruling-in-contraceptive-case-is-awaited.html?emc=edit_na_20140630

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 08:27:03 AM »

Big mistake...

We shouldn't be spending on either. I don't have an issue with a business covering or not covering birth control but its up to them. There are plenty of policies that cover only certain things. The gov should not force them to cover...or not cover. That's the issue.
L

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 08:41:04 AM »
We shouldn't be spending on either. I don't have an issue with a business covering or not covering birth control but its up to them. There are plenty of policies that cover only certain things. The gov should not force them to cover...or not cover. That's the issue.

Are there (healthcare) policies that only cover certain things these days?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that a major part of ACA was establishing certain requirements for ALL healthcare policies.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 09:58:40 AM »
Good to see the First Amendment is alive and well.  At least for a day.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 11:42:36 AM »
Good to see the First Amendment is alive and well.  At least for a day.

Sure about that? 

For wasn't the scope of the ruling pointedly narrowed to businesses which are owned by a small number of people with plenty of qualifiers included, such as one saying that the ruling does not apply to all mandated treatments such as transfusions or vaccinations?

About that last part (essentially saying that some religious beliefs are more important than others), here's what Justice Ginsburg said in her dissent:

"Approving some religious claims while deeming others unworthy of accommodation could be 'perceived as favoring one religion over another,' the very 'risk the [Constitution's] Establishment Clause was designed to preclude."

I have no legal training but that seems pretty logical to me. 

So if, as you say, the first amendment is "alive and well", then you're only talking about some but not all of the religious beliefs held by owners of companies with a small number of share-holders, eh?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 11:46:56 AM »
Sure about that? 

For wasn't the scope of the ruling pointedly narrowed to businesses which are owned by a small number of people with plenty of qualifiers included, such as one saying that the ruling does not apply to all mandated treatments such as transfusions or vaccinations?

About that last part (essentially saying that some religious beliefs are more important than others), here's what Justice Ginsburg said in her dissent:

"Approving some religious claims while deeming others unworthy of accommodation could be 'perceived as favoring one religion over another,' the very 'risk the [Constitution's] Establishment Clause was designed to preclude."

I have no legal training but that seems pretty logical to me. 

So if, as you say, the first amendment is "alive and well", then you're only talking about some but not all of the religious beliefs held by owners of companies with a small number of share-holders, eh?

Yes I'm sure about that.  The government cannot force the owners of this private company to violate their religious beliefs.  That is a win for the First Amendment.  That whole free exercise thing. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 11:53:51 AM »
Yes I'm sure about that.  The government cannot force the owners of this private company to violate their religious beliefs.  That is a win for the First Amendment.  That whole free exercise thing. 

That's an oversimplification and therefore not technically correct.

Otherwise what about that language in the ruling concerning vaccinations and transfusions?

Or is this another example of lazy BB just skimming headlines and forming opinions without much real reading?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 11:56:28 AM »
That's an oversimplification and therefore not technically correct.

Otherwise what about that language in the ruling concerning vaccinations and transfusions?

Or is this another example of lazy BB just skimming headlines and forming opinions without much real reading?

Read the opinion and get back to me Simpleton Simon. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 11:58:09 AM »
Obama needs to go back to law school

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 12:14:10 PM »
Read the opinion and get back to me Simpleton Simon. 

I've read Kennedy's and the dissent by Ginsburg.

How about you?  Have you read any of it, LayZ-B?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 12:18:35 PM »

Who cares about the opinion?    5-4 amd a good headline destroying failure in chief is all that matters

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 12:23:41 PM »
Who cares about the opinion?    5-4 amd a good headline destroying failure in chief is all that matters

I only mentioned it because BB told me to read the opinion and get back to him (as if that old coot has read anything more substantial than a Fox News article...)

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 01:43:14 PM »

It does, actually, raise an interesting question though. If the owners of a particular private company believe it violates their religious beliefs to pay for medical intervention (e.g. they are Christian Scientists) could they avoid providing any coverage?

If they could, then what's the point of having any law?
If they could not, how does it differ from the case at hand?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 01:44:35 PM »
Turley on Hobby Lobby Ruling: "Huge Blow" For Obama Admin, "Been An Awful Ten Days" For Them

Please upgrade your browser to view HTML 5 content

JONATHAN TURLEY: It’s a huge blow to the Obama administration. You know, this has been an awful ten days.  They were previously found to be in violation of the Fourth Amendment and privacy. Then they were found to be in violation of the separation of powers, and now they have been found to be in violation of the First Amendment and the religion clauses. I mean, you just don’t want to get out of bed after a week like that.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 01:48:57 PM »
The left loses their minds over Hobby Lobby decision
Hotair ^  | 06/30/2014 | Noah Rothman

Posted on ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2014‎ ‎4‎:‎39‎:‎21‎ ‎PM by SeekAndFind

I imagine the horrified shrieks that rose from the streets outside the Supreme Court on Monday as the decision in the Hobby Lobby case began to filter out into the crowd of liberal observers was reminiscent of those poor souls who watched helplessly as the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire claimed the lives of 146 young, female garment workers.

In fact, the similarities are eerie. It seems that liberal commentators have convinced themselves that, just as was the case in 1911, the courts and the country have deemed women to be of lesser value than their male counterparts. The distinction between these two eras, of course, is that while that argument could be supported in 1911, it exists only in the heads of progressives in 2014.

NBC News journalist Pete Williams, an accomplished reporter who is not prone to indulge in speculation, went out of his way to insist repeatedly that the Court’s decision in this case was a narrow one. He noted that the decision extends only to the specific religious objections a handful of employers raised about providing abortifacients (as opposed to contraceptives). Williams added that Justice Anthony Kennedy allowed in his concurring opinion that the federal government can pay for and provide that coverage if employers would not.

The Federalist published a variety of other observations about this ruling which indicate that it was narrowly tailored to this specific case. The Court ruled that Hobby Lobby and other employers could not simply drop health coverage in order to avoid mandates. This decision does not apply to other government mandates like those requiring employers cover vaccinations. Finally, if the will of the public in the form of an electoral mandate creates a groundswell of support for a government-funded program which provides access to abortifacients, then that would be perfectly constitutional.

Williams’ MSNBC colleagues nodded along and, when asked for their contribution, proceeded to display none of this NBC reporter’s caution.

“I think we’ve seen a real goal post-moving here,” MSNBC.com’s Irin Carmon said. “We may say it is a narrow ruling because Taco Bell and Wal-Mart can’t opt out, but it is still an enormous expansion of corporate rights and of the refusal from the laws that are passed to create benefits for everybody.”

“The larger doctrinal implication here is potentially significant,” MSNBC host Ari Melber agreed. “For the first time, the Court is going and taking the First Amendment rights that we’ve seen long established for certain corporate entities and extending them to the religious idea.”

“Just because it was only restricted to women’s health access doesn’t mean that it doesn’t create a devastating precedent which says that women’s health care should be treated differently,” Carmon added. She added that the Republican Party is the biggest beneficiary of today’s ruling. “So, the context of this is an all-out assault on access to contraception and access to other reproductive health care services.”

HotAir’s Karl has accumulated some of the best examples of liberal “schadenfreude,” as he’s dubbed it, in which the left utterly and intentionally misconstrues the scope of this ruling. Incidentally, their reaction also helps to service what appears to be a widely shared victimhood fantasy.

We’ve seen indications that the left believes this decision is a prelude to theocracy:

The Supreme Court #HobbyLobby ruling proves once again that Scalia Law is a lot like Sharia Law.

— John Fugelsang (@JohnFugelsang) June 30, 2014

"So as not to insult Allah, this accounting firm requires that all female employees wear the hijab."

— southpaw (@nycsouthpaw) June 30, 2014

We’ve seen liberal journalists and commentators rending garments over the implications of this ruling which exist only in their own minds:

This isn't a win for religious liberty it's an affirmation of privilege for advocates of conservative sexual morality http://t.co/ctb1FwXIWk

— Brian Beutler (@brianbeutler) June 30, 2014

What Hobby Lobby means is there are now two separate classes of women in America: those who work for privately-owned corps and everyone else

— Jimmy williams (@Jimmyspolitics) June 30, 2014

Even poor SCOTUS Blog, an organization which merely reports the news out of the Supreme Court, has endured an torrent of misdirected liberal outrage:

Finally, and expectedly, we’ve seen liberal politicians stoking ire, generating enthusiasm, and soliciting donations:

It's time that five men on the Supreme Court stop deciding what happens to women.

— Senator Harry Reid (@SenatorReid) June 30, 2014

Pelosi on Hobby Lobby: "Supreme Court took an outrageous step against the rights of America’s women"

— Jim Acosta (@JimAcostaCNN) June 30, 2014

Can't believe we live in a world where we'd even consider letting big corps deny women access to basic care based on vague moral objections.

— Elizabeth Warren (@elizabethforma) June 30, 2014

And this, via John Podhoretz’s inbox:

It is interesting that there seems to be more outrage over this decision from the left than there was when the Court struck down dated portions of the Voting Rights Act. Though that decision had much farther reaching legal and political implications, this is the issue that has captured the passions of the left.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 05:02:21 PM »

So, Simpleton Simon, you read a concurring opinion and dissenting opinion, but not the majority opinion?  About what I expected.

If you had read the majority opinion, a few paragraphs in you would have read this:  "Since RFRA applies in these cases, we must decide whether the challenged HHS regulations substantially burden the exercise of religion, and we hold that they do." 

The "exercise of religion" is the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment.  So yes, the First Amendment Free Exercise Clause is alive and well for a day.