Author Topic: Are All Calories Equal? - The Calorie Myth w/ Jonathan Bailor  (Read 10694 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!

So Jonathan Bailor thinks that all calories are not created equal.  Well.. are they>

If you've ever counted calories then you need to see this! Jonathan Bailor, New York Times best selling author of "The Calorie Myth," shows you why everything you know about counting calories is wrong.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: Are All Calories Equal? - The Calorie Myth w/ Jonathan Bailor
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 11:28:54 AM »
Jesus Ron did you really have to open up this can of worms again?  ;D

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 11:31:31 AM »

Yes, because I want that freaking piece of cake!

Alan Aragon responds "Quality of calories, not quantity of calories, is the key to healing your body, and dropping fat." <-- That's FALSE. Quality AND quantity both matter. All this kind of rhetoric does is mislead folks into thinking that weight loss (or fat loss) can only be achieved by sticking to a special list of 'allowed' foods. This not only makes people dumber, but it also creates unnecessary food neurosis & obsessiveness - which is self-sabotaging."

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:33:46 AM »

Alan Aragon responds "Quality of calories, not quantity of calories, is the key to healing your body, and dropping fat." <-- That's FALSE. Quality AND quantity both matter. All this kind of rhetoric does is mislead folks into thinking that weight loss (or fat loss) can only be achieved by sticking to a special list of 'allowed' foods. This not only makes people dumber, but it also creates unnecessary food neurosis & obsessiveness - which is self-sabotaging."

OK but does he qualify that statement with any kind of proof?

Simple Simon

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 11:34:23 AM »
Im actually scared that TA is going to see this.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 11:34:34 AM »
Holy fuck, the True Adonis bat phone just screeched its emergency alarm!

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 11:35:44 AM »
Im actually scared that TA is going to see this.

I wish Ron could specifically block it from certain members.

ENZO

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 11:41:51 AM »
20 page thread in the making

Alpine

• Getbig III
  • That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 11:52:59 AM »
Anybody that still believes the hormonal response (insulin) of 100 calories of chocolate cake compared to 100 calories of chicken breast makes no difference in body composition is willfully disregarding quality data.

I still believe it comes down to calories in versus calories out but the macro breakdown of those calories is HUGELY important to optimizing fat loss. Do we really believe that a 2000 calorie diet of twinkies can lead to the same body composition as a 2000 calorie diet of balanced macros? I dont think so. What this guy is saying is not all that revolutionary.

(TA bait set)

Alpine

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 11:56:01 AM »
Ron: Do you prefer to eat your cinnamon roll and chocolate milk breakfast before AM cardio or after AM cardio in favor of preserving the much BroHyped fasted state cardio?

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 11:58:10 AM »
Macro breakdown, not calories. Assuming your fiber and micronutient intake is in check then it's irrelevant.

the trainer

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 11:58:45 AM »
I think its important to watch what you eat also cause if you are only watching calories and losing weight by eating junk food and snacks what is that doing to your health.

Alpine

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 12:12:30 PM »
I think its important to watch what you eat also cause if you are only watching calories and losing weight by eating junk food and snacks what is that doing to your health.

VERY fucking insightful posts there, the trainer. Thank you for your contributions. So in essence, what you're saying is that you should be mindful of eating pure shit, even if losing weight, because its bad for your health. WOW. Just WOW.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 12:19:10 PM »

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 12:23:31 PM »
Isn't calorie a calorie only when it comes to looking to improve your athletic ability and strength gains?

If you look to improve your physical abilities you should have meat (balanced with equal amount of greens ) as your protein foundation and the natures own steroids aka desserts and fast food to support the anabolic state along the line.

And when you're dieting you should avoid calorie intake from sugary products and various other fast carb products while generally keeping the meat and veggie intake virtually the same, ain't that right?

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 12:38:20 PM »
20 page thread in the making

Hahaha sit back and enjoy the ride

Simple Simon

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 12:39:20 PM »
Forget all this calorie counting nonsense
Just eat a third less than you normally do.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 12:55:51 PM »

I don't know how to make this any clearer.

for WEIGHT LOSS, IF you are in a calorie deficit, and IF you are taking in enough protein to maintain or create more tissue then it DOES NOT MATTER where the bulk of the remaining cals come from.

any cals consumed in the deficut will go towards being used for fuel. cals do not get stored in a deficit. they get used for fuel. insulin response and all that other bullshit doesn't matter in a deficit.

why do people need to make this so complicated? this isn't rocket science altho all the studies would have you think so.

that being said a whole other topic that is related but has nothing to do with weight loss is are there calories that are better for you then others esp for performance?

yes. I believe there are. I believe some calories burn better and provide better energy. I think grains are a useless calorie that the body can't absorb or utilise properly due to the bastardizaton of the seed. that's why you are seeing so many people w celiac, gluten intotlerance and IBS. I have come to learn thanks to someone who knows a great deal abt nutrition that low gi fruits like strawberry blueberry ripe banana burn better and are more efficient forms of fuel. for me, I feel they just burn cleaner. I don't know how to explain that but after 20 years of listening and paying attention to my body I'm very aware of everybody little chance and I find low gi fruits and 2 LB of green veg a day really making a substantial improvement not just in my energy levels but my physique as well.

I'm looking fwd to this thread. usually when ideas get kicked around like this there's always something to be learned.
b

growing lad

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 01:05:40 PM »
I don't know how to make this any clearer.

for WEIGHT LOSS, IF you are in a calorie deficit, and IF you are taking in enough protein to maintain or create more tissue then it DOES NOT MATTER where the bulk of the remaining cals come from.

any cals consumed in the deficut will go towards being used for fuel. cals do not get stored in a deficit. they get used for fuel. insulin response and all that other bullshit doesn't matter in a deficit.

why do people need to make this so complicated? this isn't rocket science altho all the studies would have you think so.

that being said a whole other topic that is related but has nothing to do with weight loss is are there calories that are better for you then others esp for performance?

yes. I believe there are. I believe some calories burn better and provide better energy. I think grains are a useless calorie that the body can't absorb or utilise properly due to the bastardizaton of the seed. that's why you are seeing so many people w celiac, gluten intotlerance and IBS. I have come to learn thanks to someone who knows a great deal abt nutrition that low gi fruits like strawberry blueberry ripe banana burn better and are more efficient forms of fuel. for me, I feel they just burn cleaner. I don't know how to explain that but after 20 years of listening and paying attention to my body I'm very aware of everybody little chance and I find low gi fruits and 2 LB of green veg a day really making a substantial improvement not just in my energy levels but my physique as well.

I'm looking fwd to this thread. usually when ideas get kicked around like this there's always something to be learned.

Thank fuck for that. Your in a deficit....everything you eat is being used...get your protein...it don't matter where your carbs or fat come from. If ur non retarded then you'll eat foods that satisfy you and give you energy to train hard.

Jesus. Get protein. Eat less calories than you normally do. The end

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 01:11:57 PM »

meltdown
~

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 01:27:53 PM »
His argument is that because calories in/out doesn't work mathematically, the theory is false.

What he misses is that calories in/out is more like the Demand Curve in Economics.

If Apple were to raise the price of IPhones by 10%, you can't say for sure what the effect will be, but if Apple continues to do this on a weekly basis, demand for IPhones will eventually fall.

Same with calories. If you increase your caloric intake by 10% each week, eventually you will be a fat fvck.

Sorry, in the end it comes down to discipline, no matter what these dietary gurus say.

Simple Simon

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »
His argument is that because calories in/out doesn't adhere work mathematically, the theory is false.

What he misses is that calories in/out is more like the Demand Curve in Economics.

If Apple were to raise the price of IPhones by 10%, you can't say for sure what the effect will be, but if Apple continues to do this on a weekly basis, demand for IPhones will eventually fall.

Same with calories. If you increase your caloric intake by 10% each week, eventually you will be a fat fvck.

Sorry, in the end it comes down to discipline, no matter what these dietary gurus say.

What the fuck are you on about?

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
b

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 01:50:05 PM »
His argument is that because calories in/out doesn't work mathematically, the theory is false.

So I should eat my I phone

Cheer s bro
T

Simple Simon

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 01:51:19 PM »

So I should eat my I phone

Cheer s bro

Not if the price calories go up by 10%