Author Topic: Are All Calories Equal? - The Calorie Myth w/ Jonathan Bailor  (Read 10690 times)

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
Re: Are All Calories Equal? - The Calorie Myth w/ Jonathan Bailor
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2014, 08:26:04 PM »
I agree

Has it ever been proven that EVERY excess calorie you eat gets stored in the body? That your body can't just say "naaa, don't need that" and that the macronutrient content plays no part?

in a deficit why would there be excess calories?
b

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2014, 08:48:02 PM »
in a deficit why would there be excess calories?

So "All calories are equal" only applies when you are in deficit?

When you eat excess, there's no chance that the result is impacted by the type of food you ate vs the caloric content?

Even for dieters - they are gonna fall off the wagon sometimes & eat too much. The macronutrients are irrelevant?

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2014, 08:57:54 PM »
So "All calories are equal" only applies when you are in deficit?

When you eat excess, there's no chance that the result is impacted by the type of food you ate vs the caloric content?

Even for dieters - they are gonna fall off the wagon sometimes & eat too much. The macronutrients are irrelevant?

I'm not talking about eating excess. I'm talking abt a deficit.

you think deficits work that way? lol if you eat a 1500cal surplus Monday you'll gain half a pound of fat despite being in a deficit the other 6 days a week? how is it then guys lose 3 lbs a week yet still have cheat days that would total in calories enough to negate the deficit ran all week?

weak logic bro.

b

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2014, 09:10:21 PM »

I'm not talking about eating excess. I'm talking abt a deficit.

you think deficits work that way? lol if you eat a 1500cal surplus Monday you'll gain half a pound of fat despite being in a deficit the other 6 days a week? how is it then guys lose 3 lbs a week yet still have cheat days that would total in calories enough to negate the deficit ran all week?

weak logic bro.

All calories are clearly not equal then.

The fact is when you run a deficit you lose weight. That does not mean all calories are equal. It just means that when you burn more calories than you eat, you lose weight.

That's physics.

This does NOT mean that all calories are equal. Far from it.  That is why you avoid discussing the impact of macronutrients when in excess. It breaks down your argument.

Fact is - on a diet, you get to consume a greater quantity of food if you eat clean and you end up more satisfied. You do not trigger an insulin response where the following sugar crash that makes you hungry for more sugary food.

So go knock yourself out and have a mars bar for breakfast, I'll have a bowl of fruit & some natural yoghurt. I won't be the one pining for more food 30 minutes later. I'll also be getting more important micronutrients from the food.

But hey - knock yourself out. It's your body.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2014, 09:12:40 PM »
But the question that remains: IS a calorie just a calorie?
X

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2014, 09:27:23 PM »
All calories are clearly not equal then.

The fact is when you run a deficit you lose weight. That does not mean all calories are equal. It just means that when you burn more calories than you eat, you lose weight.

That's physics.

This does NOT mean that all calories are equal. Far from it.  That is why you avoid discussing the impact of macronutrients when in excess. It breaks down your argument.

Fact is - on a diet, you get to consume a greater quantity of food if you eat clean and you end up more satisfied. You do not trigger an insulin response where the following sugar crash that makes you hungry for more sugary food.

So go knock yourself out and have a mars bar for breakfast, I'll have a bowl of fruit & some natural yoghurt. I won't be the one pining for more food 30 minutes later. I'll also be getting more important micronutrients from the food.

But hey - knock yourself out. It's your body.

are you retarded? what the fuck do you think 'burning more calories than you eat' means? oh thats right. a calorie deficit.

as for mars bars for breakfast, stud, if we both are both eating 1500 cal diets and burning 2 k cal a day do you honestly think your 'yogurt and fruit'  breakfast choice is going to make you leaner than me? hahaha fuck we got a live one here

anyway, tips, i seem to be doing ok thanks for your concern. I'll look you up when I want to suffer thru 'eating clean' and other such archaic bullshit.
b

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2014, 04:43:31 AM »
In fact,I`m ashamed of all of you.

< *grabs more pie and ice cream in disgust* >

lol

Simple Simon

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2014, 04:45:51 AM »
are you retarded? what the fuck do you think 'burning more calories than you eat' means? oh thats right. a calorie deficit.

as for mars bars for breakfast, stud, if we both are both eating 1500 cal diets and burning 2 k cal a day do you honestly think your 'yogurt and fruit'  breakfast choice is going to make you leaner than me? hahaha fuck we got a live one here
anyway, tips, i seem to be doing ok thanks for your concern. I'll look you up when I want to suffer thru 'eating clean' and other such archaic bullshit.
Not leaner , but he will have strong finger nails and lovely shiney hair.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2014, 05:00:55 AM »
lol i love you bro!

ya man like you ive tried it all. several times. the high fibre/ high protein no fats diet. the high protein/ carb cycling no fats diet. the ketogenic diet. everything under the sun.

and i found what works for me, is a good protein source- i dont even count protein anymore truthfully- and then round out the rest of my cals with whatever my body craves. some days i'll do 2lbs of veg breast and chicken breast and stay <1500 cals. other days i start out good, then my body starts demanding things like ice cream. :D

what i have found is that im fuller, leaner and denser than when i used to diet more 'strictly'. truthfully i dont even call what i do now dieting. i dont diet. i dont count cals, i eat as i please and i train my ass off and smash the shit out of my mountain bike. i just feel better.

i will say this tho, for performance i have noticed a huge benefit in eating the foods i mentioned in my first post. grains are boggy and slow me down etc.
Love ya` too dude. (Complete and utter homosexual)  ;D

I agree with you up to a point,but I also feel that certain compounds will allow a person to stay leaner or to just look better if adding "junkfood" to the diet.

One thing I know to be certain is that once you get down to between 4-6 % bodyfat,you can get away with a lot more dietwise than some fat fuck who is stuck at 22 % bodyfat.............natt y or enchanced,being lean at the outset,allows a person a lot more leeway as far as eating is concerned,even if a deficit isn`t present on a daily or weekly totalled basis consistantly.

Also,from my experience,when lean or very lean,ice cream and such foods over starchy carbs like rice or potatoes acts in much the same way.......a re-feed or carb replenishment if you will.

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2014, 10:53:45 AM »
Love ya` too dude. (Complete and utter homosexual)  ;D

I agree with you up to a point,but I also feel that certain compounds will allow a person to stay leaner or to just look better if adding "junkfood" to the diet.

One thing I know to be certain is that once you get down to between 4-6 % bodyfat,you can get away with a lot more dietwise than some fat fuck who is stuck at 22 % bodyfat.............natt y or enchanced,being lean at the outset,allows a person a lot more leeway as far as eating is concerned,even if a deficit isn`t present on a daily or weekly totalled basis consistantly.

Also,from my experience,when lean or very lean,ice cream and such foods over starchy carbs like rice or potatoes acts in much the same way.......a re-feed or carb replenishment if you will.

yes brother. in agreement 100% with this entire post.

it's like Simon says tho to be honest. the 'average' trainer is going to diet their whole lives and never attain a bf level that they are happy with. very few of us can actually say 'damn I nailed it'. those of us who can say it know their bodies extremely well, know when to dump some extra cals in when they are flat and weak and when to throttle down then they over carb and start to hold water. it's finding that balance that dictates if your ever going to get there let alone maintain it.

oh back to Simon I got of track- like he says the average person for weight loss would prolly be much further ahead taking their existing cals of whatever it is they are eating and cut it by a 1/3. very few have the mental strength to grind out several weeks of chicken and broccoli.

but I think if you can find a balance and a place between the chicken and the broccoli and the pizzas and coronas then there's no reason you can't maintain a respectable level of bf and still carry heaps of tissue if you bust your ass in the gym and smash some cardio.

I will say this. I know myself I'm 2-3 weeks of chicken and broccoli from <5%. and I know that's what I have to do to get there as the game changes at 6 and lower. could I do it on pizza? I don't think I could hold this tissue once I go lower if I did. there's a trade off then between cals in vs cals needed. once you restrict cals to the point that <5 is achievable I cant take in half my cals from pizza when the bulk needs to be protein.

but I think anyone can hit 6% - and how many people do you see walking around 6%? lol very few- but I know 6 can be done without getting too strict and just eating what you wish and running a deficit.

as for me and <5%. I doubt it'll ever happen. I can't say for sure it won't. it's just that I  have no desire to give up nachos pizza coronas and other such things to get it. life's about balance. I've found a healthy one. could I do it? lol fuck ya. but for what? life's too short my brother to not love food. for me it's one of the simplest pleasures in life.

I gotta stand firm on my belief you can hit a very respectable bf level (6%) and be extremely active and still love life.

I find we over complicate it. everyone argues about insulin levels and all that bullshit. but most will never see 6% let alone 8 or maintain it. cut your cals down. stop worrying about insulin and making it more complicated than it needs to be. do your cardio. train your ass off. enjoy fucking life. eat when hungry and eat less meals in a day. you'd be amazed at what you'll accomplish just doing the simple things before you need to jump into a regimen of breast and broccoli.

at the end of the day diets don't work. they work for 8 weeks or 12 weeks. lifestyle changes work for a lifetime.

cheers my friend. nice chatting w you.
b

Simple Simon

« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2014, 11:18:06 AM »

it's like Simon says tho to be honest. the 'average' trainer is going to diet their whole lives and never attain a bf level that they are happy with. very few of us can actually say 'damn I nailed it'. those of us who can say it know their bodies extremely well, know when to dump some extra cals in when they are flat and weak and when to throttle down then they over carb and start to hold water. it's finding that balance that dictates if your ever going to get there let alone maintain it.

oh back to Simon I got of track- like he says the average person for weight loss would prolly be much further ahead taking their existing cals of whatever it is they are eating and cut it by a 1/3. very few have the mental strength to grind out several weeks of chicken and broccoli.

but I think if you can find a balance and a place between the chicken and the broccoli and the pizzas and coronas then there's no reason you can't maintain a respectable level of bf and still carry heaps of tissue if you bust your ass in the gym and smash some cardio.

I will say this. I know myself I'm 2-3 weeks of chicken and broccoli from <5%. and I know that's what I have to do to get there as the game changes at 6 and lower. could I do it on pizza? I don't think I could hold this tissue once I go lower if I did. there's a trade off then between cals in vs cals needed. once you restrict cals to the point that <5 is achievable I cant take in half my cals from pizza when the bulk needs to be protein.

but I think anyone can hit 6% - and how many people do you see walking around 6%? lol very few- but I know 6 can be done without getting too strict and just eating what you wish and running a deficit.

as for me and <5%. I doubt it'll ever happen. I can't say for sure it won't. it's just that I  have no desire to give up nachos pizza coronas and other such things to get it. life's about balance. I've found a healthy one. could I do it? lol fuck ya. but for what? life's too short my brother to not love food. for me it's one of the simplest pleasures in life.

I gotta stand firm on my belief you can hit a very respectable bf level (6%) and be extremely active and still love life.

I find we over complicate it. everyone argues about insulin levels and all that bullshit. but most will never see 6% let alone 8 or maintain it. cut your cals down. stop worrying about insulin and making it more complicated than it needs to be. do your cardio. train your ass off. enjoy fucking life. eat when hungry and eat less meals in a day. you'd be amazed at what you'll accomplish just doing the simple things before you need to jump into a regimen of breast and broccoli.

at the end of the day diets don't work. they work for 8 weeks or 12 weeks. lifestyle changes work for a lifetime.

Agrred, especially the bolded bit.
I live the lifestyle, I eat well, chicken, steak, eggs, oats, I also eat normally, tonight its lamb chops and fried potato chips.
One meal a day of what I like and I can still maintain a decent BF level.
Also I know Im only 5 weeks away fro 5/6% if I want to get there quick, I can also get there slowly as well, less stress and short temper.   ;D

The reason most dieters look like shit is that they are either all or nothing.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2014, 11:33:55 AM »

as for mars bars for breakfast, stud, if we both are both eating 1500 cal diets and burning 2 k cal a day do you honestly think your 'yogurt and fruit'  breakfast choice is going to make you leaner than me? hahaha fuck we got a live one here

No - I am not retarded.

Your argument is thus: "A calorie is just a calorie".

Yet you can only frame this in a situation where you are in deficit. Honestly, it's not much of a theory if it only applies when you are starving yourself. In any other situation - "a calorie is just a calorie" breaks down and you call someone a retard because they want to look at it from different angles.

You yourself asked why someone on a diet that consumed 1500 excess calories in a day didn't add half a pound of fat. This is an odd question from someone that should know about the body replacing glycogen stores.

In the ""A Calorie is just a calorie" model, can you explain how people that eat well do not put on OR lose weight? Is it because they somehow manage to eat EXACTLY the amount of calories they burn each day and therefore maintain a specific weight?

Or is it because they eat cleanly and their bodies just pass out what they don't need? Do you have an explanation for a non-calorie counter maintaining their weight?

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2014, 11:40:50 AM »
No - I am not retarded.

Your argument is thus: "A calorie is just a calorie".

Yet you can only frame this in a situation where you are in deficit. Honestly, it's not much of a theory if it only applies when you are starving yourself. In any other situation - "a calorie is just a calorie" breaks down and you call someone a retard because they want to look at it from different angles.

You yourself asked why someone on a diet that consumed 1500 excess calories in a day didn't add half a pound of fat. This is an odd question from someone that should know about the body replacing glycogen stores.

In the ""A Calorie is just a calorie" model, can you explain how people that eat well do not put on OR lose weight? Is it because they somehow manage to eat EXACTLY the amount of calories they burn each day and therefore maintain a specific weight?

Or is it because they eat cleanly and their bodies just pass out what they don't need? Do you have an explanation for a non-calorie counter maintaining their weight?

no dude. I call you retarted cause the entire time I read posts like this im asking myself what the fuck is he talking about.

like honestly. I read this post 3 times. I still don't know what the fuck your talking about.

models and non calorie counter maintaining holy fuck you'd give an aspirn a headache.

good luck bro sounds like you got it figured out. lol I can't debate stupid.
b

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2014, 11:48:19 AM »
I'm talking about LOSING WEIGHT. not maintaining. not anything other than WEIGHT LOSS.

why is this so hard for you to understand? like is it that complicated to you that I am stating in a DEFICIT which is REQUIRED for WEIGHT LOSS that any cals consumed apart from your protein intake goes towards being used for fuel?  

WHAT IN THE FUCK are you going on about maintaining weight? this isn't about maintaining. it's about WEIGHT LOSS and the role of calories in a deficit.

Jesus Christ what's so complicated about that.

me: in a deficit a calorie is a calorie.

you : not it's not cause you can't explain how a person maintains a healthy weight just eating well.

lol Jesus Christ no wonder I get frustrated.

fuck your dense eh?
b

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2014, 11:58:17 AM »

One way it isn't is in satiety.

A lot easier to eat 2k calories of Ben & Jerry's than water-packed tuna.

swanzi85

• Getbig II
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2014, 04:09:41 PM »
I'm talking about LOSING WEIGHT. not maintaining. not anything other than WEIGHT LOSS.

why is this so hard for you to understand? like is it that complicated to you that I am stating in a DEFICIT which is REQUIRED for WEIGHT LOSS that any cals consumed apart from your protein intake goes towards being used for fuel?  

WHAT IN THE FUCK are you going on about maintaining weight? this isn't about maintaining. it's about WEIGHT LOSS and the role of calories in a deficit.

Jesus Christ what's so complicated about that.

me: in a deficit a calorie is a calorie.

you : not it's not cause you can't explain how a person maintains a healthy weight just eating well.

lol Jesus Christ no wonder I get frustrated.

fuck your dense eh?

I think I know what that dude is trying to get at. I myself eat really inconsistently in regards to calories. Sometimes 2500 or sometimes 6000. Lately a jar of pb several times a weak(190cals x 14 servings). But I havent been gaining any weight. Just water. Then Ill come down to around 1500-2000 cals a day,lower carbs,for a day or two and drop the water. I also fast 16-20 hours quite often and never eat breakfast. Point being is Im just trying to maintain what I currenty have. When I over eat,which is quite often around 4000-5000 cals a day,all I notice is water retention and taking huge dumps. Im also very active during my fasted times which I think helps hold off too much fat accumulation.

swanzi85

• Getbig II
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2014, 04:10:34 PM »
Also popped a xanax half an hour ago so no idea if I make sense 8)

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2014, 07:26:31 PM »

Yes it is

Just like a buffalo is just a buffalo  8)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2014, 03:00:35 AM »

Good post......gotta` agree with you here for sure.

Actually,I agree with 99% of your posts on training and diet,as I`m pretty much of the same mindset,but I have to play devils advocate and be an asshole once in a while.  ;)

Enjoy your "Thomas Jefferson Hummingbird Cake"   ;D

Later buddy!  

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2014, 03:05:26 AM »
Good post......gotta` agree with you here for sure.

Actually,I agree with 99% of your posts on training and diet,as I`m pretty much of the same mindset,but I have to play devils advocate and be an asshole once in a while.  ;)

Enjoy your "Thomas Jefferson Hummingbird Cake"   ;D

Later buddy!  

get your ass back in the gym wes

its time!
T

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2014, 03:13:15 AM »
get your ass back in the gym wes

its time!
You`re telling me...........I`m starting to look like shit !  :(

Gonna` try to get it back together Monday morning..........at least maybe train light a bit at home until I get rid of the initial soreness,then get my ass back in the gym.

Foot In The Ass Of Peace  ;D

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2014, 11:07:20 PM »

as for mars bars for breakfast, stud, if we both are both eating 1500 cal diets and burning 2 k cal a day do you honestly think your 'yogurt and fruit'  breakfast choice is going to make you leaner than me? hahaha fuck we got a live one here

OK - here's what you are missing.

Take 2 people.

Person 1 eats 1500 cals of chocolate every day
Person 2 eats 1500 cals of cabbage every day

Person 2 will lose more weight.

Mostly because the calorie content in food is just that - the stored energy in that food. It is not equal to the amount of energy your body will get from that food as a result of digesting it.

In addition to that, there is also energy expended during the digestion process that is also not equal for all foods.

So the person eating the cabbage will actually have net less calories after consumption that the person eating chocolate.

Both will lose weight. The guy eating cabbage will lose more. Total calories eaten is the same.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2014, 11:09:33 PM »

Yes - and you say that a "calorie is just a calorie" when it clearly is not.

If you said "eating less calories  than you consumed will lead to weight loss, regardless of what you eat" - I would agree.

To say the amount of weight loss would be equal regardless of the food eaten is simply not true.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2014, 11:36:51 PM »
Not this bullshit again PLEASE!!  :D

Chicken breasts over donuts,for the best looking body even if cals are equaled in both amounts.

How can anyone even begin to dispute this?

^^Rhetorical question,don`t fucking bother answering.  ;D

Just like bonking 20 yo pussy or 66 yo grandma, ;D

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2014, 06:45:15 AM »
I heard that almost half of Americans feel the need to eat gluten free, its become a massive fad. Its popular in Ireland and England too.