Author Topic: Padilla Was The Best Midget Bodybuilder  (Read 16387 times)

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Padilla Was The Best Midget Bodybuilder
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2014, 07:16:27 AM »
I lived in north Jersey when bodybuilding exploded in the late 70's and 80's. I remember hitting the clubs with my buds who were all bouncers and competing bodybuilders. I remember how  bodybuilding gyms had very few female members. If there was one or two it was such a rare thing. Guys turned to horse steroids back in the day like Winstrol-V and Equipose. Guys were always making horse noises in between sets. The gyms had no cardio equipment and was filled with serious trainers. The vibe was intense. Now we have Planet Fitness.  I will say this, most gyms by me women out number the men now.

that's cool oldtimer u where there when the bodybuilding scene was starting to get big, where did u guys used to go when u hit the clubs? joeys surf club was a popular club for the bodybuilding crew, the bouncers in some of those clubs where gigantic. I remember training in diamond gym back in 82 or so n we had no AC n just big fans, it got so hot in there the ceilings would drip,lol, talk about brutal,we didn't complain n we got it done, it kills me these days when I hear someone in gym saying its to hot or to cold ::) ::),its cool having u on these boards oldtimer,i enjoy talking about the old school bodybuilding as well as the new school
R

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2014, 07:20:47 AM »
Agree Oldtimer i know from Iron Age and Raw Iron...he is a good Guy who knows his Training. Good he is here. Contributes good Posts in the Training section.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2014, 07:21:07 AM »
that's cool oldtimer u where there when the bodybuilding scene was starting to get big, where did u guys used to go when u hit the clubs? joeys surf club was a popular club for the bodybuilding crew, the bouncers in some of those clubs where gigantic. I remember training in diamond gym back in 82 or so n we had no AC n just big fans, it got so hot in there the ceilings would drip,lol, talk about brutal,we didn't complain n we got it done, it kills me these days when I hear someone in gym saying its to hot or to cold ::) ::),its cool having u on these boards oldtimer,i enjoy talking about the old school bodybuilding as well as the new school
AC LOL,,I REMEMBER DYING FROM HEAT NO AIR GYMS ..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2014, 07:23:42 AM »
AC LOL,,I REMEMBER DYING FROM HEAT NO AIR GYMS ..
You could be in a Sauna and still Train Stevo... ;D

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2014, 07:23:57 AM »
I lived in north Jersey when bodybuilding exploded in the late 70's and 80's. I remember hitting the clubs with my buds who were all bouncers and competing bodybuilders. I remember how  bodybuilding gyms had very few female members. If there was one or two it was such a rare thing. Guys turned to horse steroids back in the day like Winstrol-V and Equipose. Guys were always making horse noises in between sets. The gyms had no cardio equipment and was filled with serious trainers. The vibe was intense. Now we have Planet Fitness.  I will say this, most gyms by me women out number the men now.

Ah, yes, the days when those of us who lifted actually wanted to look like the pros:

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2014, 07:25:38 AM »
I have that issue still  ;D..no doubt,he was an immediate pro placer..i think he just got lazy like other freaks to compete 'Melvin Anthony for example..
When he didn't get a enough points at a contest in 96---where Nasser, Milos and others were, he kinda flamed out. He was more balanced than Lee Priest, but didn't have Lee's huge arms.

cart@@n

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2014, 07:27:07 AM »

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2014, 09:44:32 AM »
i was in gym one night in north jersey n i see this short dude walk by me n realized everyone in gym was lookin over at him, i turn around n realize its (the tank) john sherman, oh my god was he a monster, straight up the guy had legs that looked liked they belonged in a superhero comic book :o,i remember saying to the guy next to me something like (is he really that huge or r my eyes playing tricks on me)? he laughed n said no he really is that huge. talk about some great guys in the gym at the same time, sherman was there, beau matlock was there,ifbb pro johnnie morant was there,ifbb pro guy duccasse was there,ifbb pro derrick whitsett was there also,ifbb pro jason arntz also was there plus a bunch of other top national competetors, what a atmosphere to say the least
All those guys were great. Always thought Beau Matlock would have been a great pro could never nail his condition fantastic lines and shape.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2014, 09:46:37 AM »
The stars, buddy.
Nice to be recognized for an accomplishment, even though it was quite a while ago.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2014, 09:51:12 AM »
All those guys were great. Always thought Beau Matlock would have been a great pro could never nail his condition fantastic lines and shape.
when matlock won the nj champinships you would have thought he was a pro already guest posing,sick build..

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2014, 05:12:50 PM »
Olympia line up. I think Dickerson took this one.

I think that was Samir's win. thats why they have him front and center.
Flower Boy Ran Away

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2014, 06:22:51 PM »
I think that was Samir's win. thats why they have him front and center.

Samir beat haney when he won.  Dickerson won in 82 and I don't think he competed in 83. or platz

what i'm saying is I think this pic is from 82 when Dickerson won

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »
Not sure what the height qualification is here, but Padilla is a monster. Better than Lewis even, though it's obviously subjective.

Coach a close second.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2014, 08:38:18 PM »

Some of the clubs were Fire and Ice, Butter fields, Chicago, Soap Factory, Foxes and I can't remember the rest. We also hit places in Manhattan like the Copacabana. Joey's surf club got completely washed out by Storm Sandy. There is nothing left.

My first gym was Atlas in Jersey City. It was on the second floor of a building. Guys put holes in the floor from dead lifting. The owner put carpets to hide the holes. Regulars knew to tread lightly around that area but I will never figure out how new guys didn't break their leg. I bet younger guys could never imagine a hardcore gym like that and the basic somewhat primitive equipment of the day there. I'm sure back then no one then could imagine what modern gyms would look like today.The owner let a basically homeless guy live in the gym and he was the kind heart-ed manager. He loved bodybuilding. His living area was such a sorry place. Looked like he slept on a couch that someone threw out and had a hot plate to cook on. Another gym opened near Atlas when that gym closed. A lot of top east coast guys there.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2014, 11:44:48 PM »
Wrong. Benizizza was. P.I.P.

Nope, Leopold country man Pierre Van Den Steen was the best shorty.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2014, 05:20:50 AM »
Nope, Leopold country man Pierre Van Den Steen was the best shorty.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2014, 05:50:03 AM »

now that was a set of ABS which would make Zabo proud.

Roman char sit ups 1x200
Hanging leg raise(twisting) 2x25-30
incline sit-up (50lb plate behind neck) 1x50
twisting knee raise 2x100

Van densteen had a great physique and abs. very high volume Trainer.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2014, 05:55:44 AM »
"Mum, look at this - someone made a post about me on the internet!!!"

"Well done Flex, what was it about? Let me read the title.........'The best midget bodybuilders'...oh....I love you son, well done."

Mum slowly walks down the hallway and dreams of her son being a doctor.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2014, 07:27:04 AM »
More Pierre

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2014, 07:57:52 AM »