Author Topic: Christians and Alcohol  (Read 482466 times)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: Christians and Alcohol
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 08:58:45 AM »
Ecclesiastes 9:7

7 So go ahead. Eat your food with joy, and drink your wine with a happy heart, for God approves of this!

Drinking itself is not a sin, but if alcohol is a stumbling block for you or a fellow believer then it's best to avoid alcohol independently consumed and especially when around another person who cannot control their intake.  Me personally I'm not a drinker, but I will cook with and bbq with some alcohol...all the alcohol cooks out.  It's drunkeness that is sinful.  

For me, the notion of alcohol and sin is akin to that of money and evil in that it's the love of money not the money itself that can lead to evil and sin.  Alcohol itself and the consumption of alcohol isn't sinful, but drunkeness is (i.e. a love of alcohol).

I can appreciate Islam's anti-alcohol stance as alcohol can become highly addictive, but so can video games.  Should we eliminate video games? Or Oreos?  If you can't control your alcohol intake you should avoid it completely, but this idea is noted in biblical scripture.  Jesus himself stated that if your right hand causes you to sin you shut cut it off rather than spend eternity in hell seperated from God with both your hands intact.  Certainly Christ didn't mean to literally maim yourself, but the idea is powerful regardless.

A little side story.  I was at a friend's house for a bbq a few months back and several other families came over.  One family were nonbelievers, one family were Muslims, one family were Hindus, one family were Christians.....all families headed for the bar including the Muslims that just came from their mosque.

I appreciate these types of dialogues because they're enlightening for me.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 09:11:09 AM »
I'm opposed to the brand of Gnosticism that proclaims every degree of personal inclination to be inherently evil - no alcohol, even in moderation, sex for procreation only, etc. Folks like Tertullian and Origen injected that rubbish into Christianity and helped morph Christ into one of the stiff-upper-lipped Pharisees that He condemned. This sums it up well:

http://www.thefamilyinternational.org/dossier/books/book5/main.htm

Exactly! The Bible condemns Gluttony just as much as it condemns Drunkenness.  The Bible also says food and wine in moderation are very good for humans to enjoy.  So will those who say "no alcohol at all because it may lead to Drunkenness" also say "no food at all because it may lead to Gluttony"?  That's nonsense.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 09:40:33 AM »
Ecclesiastes 9:7

7 So go ahead. Eat your food with joy, and drink your wine with a happy heart, for God approves of this!

Good verse!   ;D