Author Topic: Gym goals  (Read 12002 times)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
Re: Gym goals
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2014, 09:07:25 AM »
I have decided to stop working out and become a fat acceptance apologist.

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2014, 09:10:40 AM »
No one cares about strength anymore. FACT is you need a strength base, a good strong strength base. If you go in with just higher reps, there will little density to the muscle. More on this later. But training for just a "pump" just to contact the muscle is not that effective.
I agree, you have to change it up often.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 09:20:53 AM »
No one cares about strength anymore. FACT is you need a strength base, a good strong strength base. If you go in with just higher reps, there will little density to the muscle. More on this later. But training for just a "pump" just to contact the muscle is not that effective.

Your posts are laughable EXCEPT when it comes to training. Though I don't always agree with you, I'd say you're right about 90% of the time.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2014, 09:23:54 AM »
Nope, its exactly my training philosophy.
everyone I know who trains this way is small and everyone I know who is motivated by numbers in the gym is enormous.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2014, 09:29:09 AM »
dj181 was a strong proponent of progressive overload.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2014, 09:31:45 AM »
dj181 was a strong proponent of progressive overloadon.

Fixed.

Simple Simon

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2014, 09:49:50 AM »
everyone I know who trains this way is small and everyone I know who is motivated by numbers in the gym is enormous.
Odd we are the same height and weight?
You are higher weight offseason but contest shape we are the same.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2014, 09:55:29 AM »
Just got back from the gym, made the fucking mistake of letting someone join in with me on the back machine before I had vetted him.
I had done 3 warm up sets and was now about to do a set with 120k which I can do around 15 reps with, I take the bars and pulldown the weight and when I did this guy seemed to think I needed it pushing as i was repping, the fucking idiot took all the tension off the weight and I felt like Branch fucking Warren for around 6 reps as the weight was swinging loose.
I put the weight down and moved over to another machine until he had finished.

Im too nice to tell him to fuck off.
He wont be joining in again thats for sure.

i turn my headphones up and keep my head down now

nobody can do a simple fucking spot

if i cant get on  machine i do the next exercise and come back
T

Simple Simon

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2014, 09:57:33 AM »
i turn my headphones up and keep my head down now

nobody can do a simple fucking spot

if i cant get on  machine i do the next exercise and come back
I must be slipping mate, I normally get through without making eye contact with anyone.
I may be giving approachability vibes off, got to nip that shit in the bud.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2014, 10:00:19 AM »
I must be slipping mate, I normally get through without making eye contact with anyone.
I may be giving approachability vibes off, got to nip that shit in the bud.

i made the mistake of starting to say hello to a couple of the 20 somethings in my gym

which they seemed to think meant i would spend 15 mins talking to them everytime i went to the gym

T

Simple Simon

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2014, 10:12:20 AM »
i made the mistake of starting to say hello to a couple of the 20 somethings in my gym

which they seemed to think meant i would spend 15 mins talking to them everytime i went to the gym

Yep, got to restrict it to a a curt nod.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2014, 12:19:12 PM »
Odd we are the same height and weight?
You are higher weight offseason but contest shape we are the same.
Oh wow, you have 30 inch thighs? didn't know that  ;)

You are forgetting bone structure, height, body composition, I carry way more muscle then you.  :)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2014, 12:25:44 PM »

You are forgetting bone structure, height, body composition, I carry way more muscle then you.  :)

It's on now.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2014, 12:26:13 PM »
I do first excercise for stength then swith to a similar approach.
2 sets to failure, going for at least 12 reps on the first set, second set normally ends up being way shy of reps in the first set, so sometimes ill drop set the second set.
If I get to the point of doing 20 reps on the first set ill bump up the weight a bit.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2014, 12:29:17 PM »
It's on now.
nah, we have already been at it many times  :D

20 inch arms and 30 inch thighs  :P

Simple Simon

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2014, 12:29:35 PM »

You dont have 30 inch thighs, stop it.
Bone structure Height body composition???
How do we differ when in shape?

Simple Simon

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2014, 12:31:49 PM »
nah, we have already been at it many times  :D

20 inch arms and 30 inch thighs  :P

Come on mate that photos about 7 years old, lets not post old pictures.
Post one from when you dieted last year, (huge props for getting in shape back then)
You only weight 195 when you posted pics, and no leg pics as I recall.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2014, 12:33:23 PM »
When I pick up a weight my sole intention is to stress the muscle as much as I can with that particular set.
After warming up I then pick a weight I feel comfortable I can get at least 12 reps with.
During the set if 12 is going to be easy I slow down the reps and contract the muscle to try and exhaust it even further.
I really have no goal as far as reps and weight go, I just make every set count.

man we train the exact same.

I already 'know' what certain poundages will feel like, and the more I drop my weight and focus on the movement using just that muscle the better my body becomes. now I don't dumbell press heavier than 50's and my delts are benefitting massively. the more I feel the muscle work the lighter I can go and have an equally as strenuous a workout as smashing my body w weights I can't move just to support my ego.

as for sets. I have no idea. I just keep going till it's done. this depends a lot on my cal intake and activity levels the day before. some days I'm sure I bang out 24 sets for delts. chest I figure would be half that. today my chest wanted a beating. it wanted pressing movements not mamby pamby pec which I also like. so I bet I did prolly double my chest volume today. but this was strictly food/ fuel based from the day before.

I think most guys who have an impressive level of development are very in tune w their body, know how much volume per session to give it things like that. this kinda edges into that book I'm working on a bit in terms of being able to increase quite drastically just how much volume you can handle but in the end it comes down to listening to your body. know when to pound the sets, and when to throttle back.

great thread btw.

b

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2014, 12:35:16 PM »
man we train the exact same.

I already 'know' what certain poundages will feel like, and the more I drop my weight and focus on the movement using just that muscle the better my body becomes. now I don't dumbell press heavier than 50's and my delts are benefitting massively. the more I feel the muscle work the lighter I can go and have an equally as strenuous a workout as smashing my body w weights I can't move just to support my ego.

as for sets. I have no idea. I just keep going till it's done. this depends a lot on my cal intake and activity levels the day before. some days I'm sure I bang out 24 sets for delts. chest I figure would be half that. today my chest wanted a beating. it wanted pressing movements not mamby pamby pec which I also like. so I bet I did prolly double my chest volume today. but this was strictly food/ fuel based from the day before.

I think most guys who have an impressive level of development are very in tune w their body, know how much volume per session to give it things like that. this kinda edges into that book I'm working on a bit in terms of being able to increase quite drastically just how much volume you can handle but in the end it comes down to listening to your body. know when to pound the sets, and when to throttle back.

great thread btw.

Log off getbig and go finish your new book.  ;D

the trainer

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2014, 12:36:27 PM »
Bunch of illiterate lazy machine training wimps in this thread, only the coach is talking sense.

Simple Simon

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2014, 12:37:49 PM »
Bunch of illiterate lazy machine training wimps in this thread, only the coach is talking sense.
Does literacy increase muscle mass?

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2014, 12:40:32 PM »
also some muscle groups are capable of and demand relatively heavy weight.

I agree w coach and OTH about diminishing returns when running the pump.

BUT if you can exhaust the group in a set of 8-10 reps using strict form and run the pump this is ideal for hypertophy. go to heavy you recruit everything but the muscle group targeted / go too light you don't stress the fibre enough. you have to know your body well enough to pull it off and make it grow.
b

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2014, 12:41:06 PM »
Come on mate that photos about 7 years old, lets not post old pictures.
Post one from when you dieted last year, (huge props for getting in shape back then)
You only weight 195 when you posted pics, and no leg pics as I recall.
don't talk shit I weighed 205lb, and that arm shot was from Sept brother, 20 inch arms. i have not been below 200 since 07. If you notice my bones are real tiny, at 200lb I carry a lot more then you at 200 since your bone structure is a lot thicker, hey just saying  ;)

Simple Simon

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2014, 12:42:37 PM »
don't talk shit I weighed 205lb, and that arm shot was from Sept brother, 20 inch arms. i have not been below 200 since 07. If you notice my bones are real tiny, at 200lb I carry a lot more then you at 200 since your bone structure is a lot thicker, hey just saying  ;)
But I have small joints, measure your wrist and ankles, I will try and find a tape and do mine.

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2014, 12:42:57 PM »
Log off getbig and go finish your new book.  ;D

fuck bro I blew the hard drive in my iMac. now i need a new one. it's in the shop as we speak. I've been trying to type it out on my second generation mac but I don't have word and it's a pain in the cock so I'll just wait till my mac comes back.

trust me bro given what im experiencing w my own changes it'll be worth the wait.
b