Author Topic: Gym goals  (Read 12005 times)

the trainer

Re: Gym goals
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2014, 12:43:54 PM »
Does literacy increase muscle mass?

If you train the way I tell you to in the next two months your muscle will look bigger and more dense and you will be stronger.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2014, 12:44:12 PM »
also some muscle groups are capable and demand relatively weight.

I agree w coach and OTH about diminishing returns when running the pump.

BUT if you can exhaust the group in a set of 8-10 reps using strict form and run the pump this is ideal for hypertophy. go to heavy you recruit everything but the muscle group targeted / go too light you don't stress the fibre enough. you have to know your body well enough to pull it off and make it grow.
at the end of the day the set is not as important as walking away from the gym with the muscle completely destroyed, you do not have to hit failure to accomplish this on every set, heavy weight recruit a lot more fibres for muscle growth then light weight, otherwise marathon runners would have 32 inch thighs.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2014, 12:46:18 PM »
But I have small joints, measure your wrist and ankles, I will try and find a tape and do mine.
lmao, Cmon bro, look at the pics. Look at my ankles and my wrist, they belong on a light weight. I have a brother who doesn't train with identical bone structure and he is 145lb

Simple Simon

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2014, 12:46:36 PM »
Just measured my joints,
7inch wrists
9 inch ankles
15 1/4 around my knee.

Simple Simon

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2014, 12:47:21 PM »
lmao, Cmon bro, look at the pics. Look at my ankles and my wrist, they belong on a light weight. I have a brother who doesn't train with identical bone structure and he is 145lb
Measure them.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2014, 12:47:39 PM »
Odd we are the same height and weight?
You are higher weight offseason but contest shape we are the same.

Irrelevant.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2014, 12:48:07 PM »
at the end of the day the set is not as important as walking away from the gym with the muscle completely destroyed, you do not have to hit failure to accomplish this on every set, heavy weight recruit a lot more fibres for muscle growth then light weight, otherwise marathon runners would have 32 inch thighs.

cyclists have massive thighs.

muscular recruitment isn't necessary to run great distances. however it is necessary to cycle at great speed over short or long distance.
b

Simple Simon

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2014, 12:48:41 PM »

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2014, 12:51:22 PM »
Just measured my joints,
7inch wrists
9 inch ankles
15 1/4 around my knee.
don't have a tape on hand but have measured wrist and its below 6''

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2014, 12:53:26 PM »

muscular recruitment isn't necessary to run great distances. however it is necessary to cycle at great speed over short or long distance.
Cyclist have periods of time where they sprint and up hill as well. Either way breaking down a fiber and making the muscle sore or burn in a set does not = muscle growth

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2014, 12:57:02 PM »
Yes you are.

Don't hate, just listen and learn.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2014, 01:01:29 PM »
when i start a set my focus is to see how much pain i can put the muscle under n driving thru that pain zone, i dont count reps cause it doesnt matter at all to me, reps n weight mean nothing to me, im just concerned about destroying the muscle being trained
R

Simple Simon

« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »

muscular recruitment isn't necessary to run great distances. however it is necessary to cycle are great speed over short or long distance.
long distance cyclists dont get the mind muscle connection, thats why they have slim legs.

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2014, 01:08:48 PM »
Cyclist have periods of time where they sprint and up hill as well. Either way breaking down a fiber and making the muscle sore or burn in a set does not = muscle growth

I agree. muscle soreness isn't needed for growth. cause you can cause the muscle to adapt to beyond being sore from a workout. once it adapts soreness doesn't exist.

causing the muscle to be fatigued whether it be from lifting weights or cycling be it high rep work or low rep work causes the muscle to need to strengthen and grow to meet the demands of the stimulus. the key is to put it under enough load to cause it to fatigue, and do it repeatedly. once it meets the demand of the stimulus growth will stop. it has adapted. then you can either increase the weight or the volume.

the key is to constantly force adaptation. that's where growth is. adaption equals growth. be it adaption to heavy weight, adaptation to increasing volume or ideally both because with every workout the body adapts to meet the demands your placing on it. once you stop placing demands on it, ie max out on weight you stop growing. how do you keep growing then? increase volume.

as you can see it has little to do with light or heavy and more up do with forcing the body to adapt. that's where the growth it.

as a whole this debate is a very slippery slope. so many variables come into play. natural or juicer will affect the debate massively to start with.
b

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2014, 01:09:19 PM »
when i start a set my focus is to see how much pain i can put the muscle under n driving thru that pain zone, i dont count reps cause it doesnt matter at all to me, reps n weight mean nothing to me, im just concerned about destroying the muscle being trained

amen brother. awesome post.
b

Simple Simon

« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2014, 01:15:07 PM »
don't have a tape on hand but have measured wrist and its below 6''
6 inches?
Seriously?
A water bottle top is 3 3/4

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2014, 01:31:17 PM »
http://

thanks no one, glad u liked it, i try to keep it real
R

Simple Simon

« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2014, 01:33:09 PM »

Although if you want any density you need to lift heavy weights for low reps, coach says so.

Well, he might do if he contributed rather than sniping from the sidelines.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2014, 01:36:14 PM »
Just measured my joints,
7inch wrists
9 inch ankles
15 1/4 around my knee.

i have 19" arms on 7" wrists

i got told they could grow 10" above your wrist size max

i got measured at 12 percent bf

i know thats still a bb fatty but its good for me

fuck knows what i was when i started this diet

ex perma bulker of peace  8)
T

Simple Simon

« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2014, 01:38:08 PM »
i have 19" arms on 7" wrists

i got told they could grow 10" above your wrist size max

i got measured at 12 percent bf

i know thats still a bb fatty but its good for me

fuck knows what i was when i started this diet

ex perma bulker of peace  8)

Props on the diet mate.
I think the 10 inches over wrist size may be natty.
Im sure Phil Heaths wrists are not 11 inches.   ;D

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2014, 01:41:30 PM »
Although if you want any density you need to lift heavy weights for low reps, coach says so.

Well, he might do if he contributed rather than sniping from the sidelines.

i agree, i started out with lifting heavy weights on compound movements like squats,bench,shoulder press,close grip bench ect, i believe thats how all new lifters should train,basics with heavy weight n eat alot of good food
R

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2014, 01:42:27 PM »
Props on the diet mate.
I think the 10 inches over wrist size may be natty.
Im sure Phil Heaths wrists are not 11 inches.   ;D

to be fair i was about 17 at my best natty

god bless steroids  8)
T

the trainer

« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2014, 02:10:47 PM »
How many of these exercises are in your workout program that should tell you how much of a pansy you are.

Squats
deadlifts
sissy squats
dips with weights
pull ups
one arm dumbbell rows

Simple Simon

« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2014, 02:13:42 PM »
How many of these exercises are in your workout program that should tell you how much of a pansy you are.

Squats
deadlifts
sissy squats
dips with weights
pull ups
one arm dumbbell rows

lol

I do pull ups, not every workout though I dont do any of the others at the moment,, not long ago I used to do weighted dips with 100lb for 15 reps, twinged my bicep tendon behind the pec, stopped doing them.

Complex Carbs

« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2014, 03:57:12 PM »
No one cares about strength anymore. FACT is you need a strength base, a good strong strength base. If you go in with just higher reps, there will little density to the muscle. More on this later. But training for just a "pump" just to contact the muscle is not that effective.
You are not a fiend of science, but how else will you back up this claim?

Density?

Seriously?