Author Topic: Gym goals  (Read 11970 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: Gym goals
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2014, 04:04:48 PM »
You are not a fiend of science, but how else will you back up this claim?

Density?

Seriously?

Most of my training is backed with "science". Yes, seriously.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2014, 04:45:10 PM »
How many of these exercises are in your workout program that should tell you how much of a pansy you are.

Squats
deadlifts
sissy squats
dips with weights
pull ups
one arm dumbbell rows

none. > pansy alert.
b

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2014, 04:51:26 PM »
I never understand why people do 3 sets 12 reps?
What do they think they get out of stopping short on each set?

Cumulative fatigue - multiple sets, the early sub-max-effort sets induce fatigue that's reached in the last set(s)

I do 8 x 8 for pretty much everything these days, the first 5 sets are all slow reps, squeeze and hold but not close to failure. It's the last 3 that really suck

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2014, 06:56:59 PM »
I agree. muscle soreness isn't needed for growth. cause you can cause the muscle to adapt to beyond being sore from a workout. once it adapts soreness doesn't exist.

causing the muscle to be fatigued whether it be from lifting weights or cycling be it high rep work or low rep work causes the muscle to need to strengthen and grow to meet the demands of the stimulus. the key is to put it under enough load to cause it to fatigue, and do it repeatedly. once it meets the demand of the stimulus growth will stop. it has adapted. then you can either increase the weight or the volume.

the key is to constantly force adaptation. that's where growth is. adaption equals growth. be it adaption to heavy weight, adaptation to increasing volume or ideally both because with every workout the body adapts to meet the demands your placing on it. once you stop placing demands on it, ie max out on weight you stop growing. how do you keep growing then? increase volume.

as you can see it has little to do with light or heavy and more up do with forcing the body to adapt. that's where the growth it.

as a whole this debate is a very slippery slope. so many variables come into play. natural or juicer will affect the debate massively to start with.
excellent post

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2014, 07:08:55 PM »
cyclists have massive thighs.

muscular recruitment isn't necessary to run great distances. however it is necessary to cycle at great speed over short or long distance.
Cyclist have periods of time where they sprint and up hill as well. Either way breaking down a fiber and making the muscle sore or burn in a set does not = muscle growth

Cyclist with big thighs. Big thighs = strong. As much as everyone seems to deny it, there's a direct correlation between size and strength. It's not the whole story but still. No Tour The France cyclist can squat this poundage. Why? They don't have the size.

573lbs

Simple Simon

« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2014, 10:17:44 PM »
Cumulative fatigue - multiple sets, the early sub-max-effort sets induce fatigue that's reached in the last set(s)

I do 8 x 8 for pretty much everything these days, the first 5 sets are all slow reps, squeeze and hold but not close to failure. It's the last 3 that really suck
but you stop at 8 reps every set, how is that pushing the muscle, surely on occasion you can grind 10 or 12 out?

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2014, 11:05:50 PM »
Cyclist with big thighs. Big thighs = strong. As much as everyone seems to deny it, there's a direct correlation between size and strength. It's not the whole story but still. No Tour The France cyclist can squat this poundage. Why? They don't have the size.

573lbs

:o :o :o

Simple Simon

« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2014, 12:34:10 AM »
:o :o :o
and only 28 inches, thats 2 inches less than yours.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2014, 01:08:41 AM »
but you stop at 8 reps every set, how is that pushing the muscle, surely on occasion you can grind 10 or 12 out?

I don't get your point. If 8 reps doesn't push the muscle, what kind of magic happens at 10/12 reps? You're just moving toward more hypertrophy which doesn't say much about the muscular stress. It's more of an aesthetic result than anything else. I haven't seen a ton of weightlifter go beyond the 6/8 rep range and most of the time they stick to the 3/5 rep range. They might not look as muscular as Bbers but I'd argue that they have much better neuromuscular reactions.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2014, 01:09:38 AM »
and only 28 inches, thats 2 inches less than yours.
OMG you sound like a jealous little bitch, my thighs reach 30 inches after only 2 months of training at any given time, want to make a FAT wager here, or are you too poor to put your money where your mouth is, after all you can't afford a car right and your bike (the only form of transportation you own) is probably broken down right now right? lmao  :-[

Simple Simon

« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2014, 01:20:44 AM »
OMG you sound like a jealous little bitch, my thighs reach 30 inches after only 2 months of training at any given time, want to make a FAT wager here, or are you too poor to put your money where your mouth is, after all you can't afford a car right and your bike (the only form of transportation you own) is probably broken down right now right? lmao  :-[
Seriously mate, chill out, its just the internet.
I wouldnt want 30 inch thighs in a million years, why would I want to look like a fat woman in clothes.

I dont have a motor bike, that was all a joke.
Sheesh.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2014, 01:26:55 AM »
I wouldnt want 30 inch thighs in a million years, why would I want to look like a fat woman in clothes.

Sheesh.
;D that's what I thought  ;)

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2014, 01:28:14 AM »

Sheesh.
wait a sec, you don't own a bike either? bus?

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2014, 01:29:59 AM »
also some muscle groups are capable of and demand relatively heavy weight.

I agree w coach and OTH about diminishing returns when running the pump.

BUT if you can exhaust the group in a set of 8-10 reps using strict form and run the pump this is ideal for hypertophy. go to heavy you recruit everything but the muscle group targeted / go too light you don't stress the fibre enough. you have to know your body well enough to pull it off and make it grow.

The moment i'm benching, and I feel strain on my shoulder/elbow joints - I drop the weight. This is just an example, as I do this with most exercises, the sweet spot for me is when i'm struggling for the last few reps (don't count overall reps per set), and I just about do the last one still with perfect form.

Simple Simon

« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2014, 04:03:21 AM »
wait a sec, you don't own a bike either? bus?
'Shanks pony', look it up   ;D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2014, 04:27:25 AM »
1.- Time Under Tension (No herky jerky fast paced sloppy shit reps....all about controlling the weight in good form)

2.- Extending a set via using Intensity Techniques (fuck 8 reps,or 12 reps,or 20 reps

Do a Drop-Set,Triple-Drop Set,Super-Set,etc. etc.,to reach true failure while experience pin with a huge pump)

3.- Minimal Rest Periods (30-60 seconds between sets....90 seconds for some leg exercises

Getting the most work done in the shortest amount of time is intensity at its very best)

4.- Moderate Poundages (they feel much heavier using the above tactics.

Some "Controlled Cheating" as Arnold called it at the end of a hard set is permissable,but nothing too sloppy formwise.)

5.- Mind/Muscle Connection...without it you`re just lifting weights and are quite simply fucked.

6.- Full Range Of Motion (none of this 1/4 rep pansy shit I see daily on too many occasions.

If you can`t do the movement using full ROM,take off some poundage.....ego at door.....leave it there)

As a guy gets older,the meaning of heavy is a very relative thing.

I did powerlifting and lots of sets 0f triples,doubles,and 5 X 5 and shit like that.......got stronger than shit but very little hypertrophy.

Can`t do all that shot anymore at 59,nor would I recommend it for veteran trainers since it got me fucking nowhere physiquewise.

HTH  ;)

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2014, 04:33:38 AM »

I did powerlifting and lots of sets 0f triples,doubles,and 5 X 5 and shit like that.......got stronger than shit but very little hypertrophy.

Can`t do all that shot anymore at 59,nor would I recommend it for veteran trainers since it got me fucking nowhere physiquewise.

HTH  ;)

You really think so? Your training nowadays is totally unrelated to what you have done earlier in your life? Don't you think you benefited from it as much as it might have cost you?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2014, 04:49:38 AM »
You really think so? Your training nowadays is totally unrelated to what you have done earlier in your life? Don't you think you benefited from it as much as it might have cost you?
Yeah,it`s all a learning experience for sure.

Some people do far better training with heavy poundages than others do,just like some cats are just born to bench 405 for reps as an example while others may hit a 275 pounds max set of 5 reps after 20 years of training.

As a newb to training,you should always be striving to get stronger with perfect form.........this becomes nowhere near as important as the years go by though.

There are simply tons of ways to make resistance progressive besides just adding another 2 + 1/2 pound plate to both sides of a bar.

For a small guy,I was stronger than Hell,but didn`t gain much i the way of muscle until I backed off on the heavier weights.

As an example,I used to do 2 sets of 5 reps on Seated DB Presses with the 80 pounders,full lockout top,to full down to touch my delts in the bottom position while weighing about 155 pounds.........now I never go past the 40`s or 50`s.

I was so caught up worrying about moving weight from Point-A to Point B,I lost sight of the Mind To Muscle Connection.........and that in my opinion,is where your mind should be when training.

If you did what I call a Quad-Set of Lateral Raises,then Dumbell Presses,right back to Lateral Raises,then DB Presses again,then rested a minute or so and repeated it for 2 more cycles,you`d be hitting 5-6 reps on the second go round because your delts would be wiped out,and the poundages would be laughable numbers wise,but would still be kicking anyones ass to complete the Quad-Set.......even if the guy was a huge beast.

Result= big round delts.

I won`t even mention the role drugs play in either the heavy versus light scenarios.

Complex Carbs

« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2014, 04:53:07 AM »
If you want to look like "the coach is back" , do this:

Eat everything you can see, take no prisoners

Don't bother going to the gym, it will not make a difference.

Cut off your legs below the knees.

The last time this guy looked good was roughly when the titanic sunk.