Author Topic: How come this didn't happen in our grandfather's generation?  (Read 2418 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
My grandfather served in WWII and was injured and permenantly disabled but I don't remember him or anyone from his era having all these PTSD issues.  Is it just the pussyfication of our generation or something else? 

Not trying to take a stab at soldiers I am very pro soldier (just anti war) and certainly not trying to make fun. Was just thinking why the 2 generations are so different.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
Re: How come this didn't happen in our grandfather's generation?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 01:15:49 AM »
 ::)

Don't be disrespectful. It all depends on many circumstances and the actual experience a soldier went through.

The guy below is from an even older generation than your dads and trust me, there was no pussyfication back then

S

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 01:26:01 AM »
My grandfather served in WWII and was injured and permenantly disabled but I don't remember him or anyone from his era having all these PTSD issues.  Is it just the pussyfication of our generation or something else?  

Not trying to take a stab at soldiers I am very pro soldier (just anti war) and certainly not trying to make fun. Was just thinking why the 2 generations are so different.

Yes there were such injured veterans.  It was called "Shell Shock".  Ever hear of "Sgt York"? He was a famous wwI veteran, and he had emotional problems that now would be called PTSD.  One of Sigmund Freud's famous patients was a PTSD victim.  These people's problems were kept hidden..

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 01:53:34 AM »
My grandfather served in WWII and was injured and permenantly disabled but I don't remember him or anyone from his era having all these PTSD issues.  Is it just the pussyfication of our generation or something else?  

There was a movie that came out last year about a WWII vet who had PTSD like symptoms, and he met some rich pseudo-psycho guru who claimed that he could cure him of his drinking. It was called "The Master"
http://www.vulture.com/m/2012/09/can-you-really-make-booze-out-of-paint-thinner.html

If you google PTSD and WWII you'll find some good articles, and a movie called "Wartorn".

From my guess I think many WWII vets drank a lot to deal with the PTSD, and did many other things. It was taboo for men to talk about mental illness or suffering, you just dealt with it. Couples with the fact that dealing with mental illnesses back then was different than now. And one didn't want to be labelled as "crazy" back then. That meant loss of jobs, you can't get a woman/wife, and family would treat you "differently".

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 02:56:19 AM »
Has nothing to do with pussification. They just didnt understand the horrors of war and what it did to veterans.

My grandpa fought in WW 2 in the Battle of the Bulge. Up until his death he never talked about the war. A classic sign of PTSD is "Avoidance." Avoiding to talk about what he you saw and/or experienced.

Its sickening how our own government does shit for veterans. They are kicked to the curb.
X

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 03:21:01 AM »
It has been around since at least first world war. They just called it shell shocked and did not understand it. We have not evolved to feel empathy in 100 years.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 07:54:30 AM »
Has nothing to do with pussification. They just didnt understand the horrors of war and what it did to veterans.

My grandpa fought in WW 2 in the Battle of the Bulge. Up until his death he never talked about the war. A classic sign of PTSD is "Avoidance." Avoiding to talk about what he you saw and/or experienced.

Its sickening how our own government does shit for veterans. They are kicked to the curb.

Yup my best friends dad served in Nam and can't watch a war movie......people from every war have had it just wasn't diagnosed until recently.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 09:37:06 AM »
Of course there was ptsd. It just want called that.

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 09:51:21 AM »
Of course war-related trauma has always existed. The change has been cultural. In the past men were expected to "suck it up" and "be a man", meaning it was not masculine to show mental weakness. Now men can admit to having PTSD without society considering them weak or unmanly.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 09:56:38 AM »
Of course war-related trauma has always existed. The change has been cultural. In the past men were expected to "suck it up" and "be a man", meaning it was not masculine to show mental weakness. Now men can admit to having PTSD without society considering them weak or unmanly.

It was misunderstood but still viewed with sympathy:

That was a shell shocked soldier from WW1, ostensibly cured at end of video.

If you read the poetry at the time the cannon fodder knew exactly what was happening and how they were being used as pawns. They also describe how traumatised people (and themselves) are. 80,000 people dying in a day with no gain made, seeing friends choke on chlorine gas, seeing people's feet rotting from the water in trenches. Shit was horrible and they went over in the millions in the deluded belief that war was romantic - dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.