Author Topic: How many PhDs in the forum?  (Read 4985 times)

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
Re: How many PhDs in the forum?
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »
You have to remember most PhD students have the tuition waived by working as teaching or research assistants, plus you get a small salary as well ($20,000 per year approx.) so its really not as bleak as you think.  I was also lucky because I had worked for a while beforehand so I had money saved up plus my wife was working full time while I was doing the PhD, as well as the money I was getting for being a research assistant, so we were living quite comfortably during that time.

That's a very important point, most people that do a PhD do so to teach at a university.  I'm an anomaly in that I went into the corporate world, which is really very very rare.

I live in Silicon Valley loll so you can probably guess I work in IT (software development). But my PhD is in industrial engineering

Whoa, cool, I thought it was way worse. I was guessing most PhDs wanted to be professors yes. I like teaching but I can't see me doing a PhD even if I had what it takes. Although I'm looking forward to do a masters, but I don't want to do it where I live, pfft our education is just not good enough.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 11:44:22 AM »
Whoa, cool, I thought it was way worse. I was guessing most PhDs wanted to be professors yes. I like teaching but I can't see me doing a PhD even if I had what it takes. Although I'm looking forward to do a masters, but I don't want to do it where I live, pfft our education is just not good enough.

There are many people with PhD's who do not become professors and still work in the "Real World." This mainly applies to more applied-type jobs. Those fields of study where clinical work with people is a major emphasis. Instead of working in a research lab. One is not better than the other. Its all what you want to do with the degree.
X

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 12:25:41 PM »
My daughter has her Doctorate and she doesn't teach. I know this is chump change to getbiggers but she got a job making $140K right out of college. My other daughter is working on hers at the same time she is working full time. Thinks she will finish in under two years. She been in college full time for 6 years. The company she is working for is already paying her 70K and is paying most of her tuition.  They said there will be a big jump in pay once she finishes. Me, I have a community college degree.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 01:51:03 PM »
Right here, what's up?

Ha! Excellent reply.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2014, 02:03:36 PM »
There was a time when an M.Sc. actually meant something. These days, it's almost expected. Keep in mind that some companies (especially foreign companies) place a lot of value in academic credentials and a Ph.D. translates to cachet, relative independence/freedom within the corporate machine and more dollars.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 02:06:30 PM »
You have to remember most PhD students have the tuition waived by working as teaching or research assistants, plus you get a small salary as well ($20,000 per year approx.) so its really not as bleak as you think.  I was also lucky because I had worked for a while beforehand so I had money saved up plus my wife was working full time while I was doing the PhD, as well as the money I was getting for being a research assistant, so we were living quite comfortably during that time.

That's a very important point, most people that do a PhD do so to teach at a university.  I'm an anomaly in that I went into the corporate world, which is really very very rare.

I live in Silicon Valley loll so you can probably guess I work in IT (software development). But my PhD is in industrial engineering

Dr. Ach? Very impressive, sir.

Redux

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 02:09:29 PM »
I don't have a PhD, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
What do you need to know?   ;D

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2014, 02:10:19 PM »
Depends on your line of work...if you're a lawyer you're as good as your achievements in work...if you're a broker you're as good as the returns and big money clients you have, no PhD will save you and it means shit if I'm blunt.

But some lines of work it can open doors for you and set you apart.

S

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »
Should get mine in 2016 8)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2014, 02:57:48 PM »
Should get mine in 2016 8)

Clearly not a PhD in bodybuilding

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2014, 04:28:21 PM »
I don't have a PhD, but I did stay at the Mirage hotel last night.
What do you need to know?   ;D

fixed :D

THE ARS

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 12:42:29 AM »
I think Big Ach got one. It seems like it's not worthy money wise, and for a non-rich person it's more like you do it just because you love science and don't care about being a broke-ass student. Sort of like being a broke-ass bodybuilder but with a higher IQ  <<< bodybuilding related

Sort of.

No one will ever accuse you of having one.

So, that's nice. ;D

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2014, 01:25:41 PM »
Depends on your line of work...if you're a lawyer you're as good as your achievements in work...if you're a broker you're as good as the returns and big money clients you have, no PhD will save you and it means shit if I'm blunt.

But some lines of work it can open doors for you and set you apart.

as a degree (MBA) from Wharton gets you a front row seat at any company

dknole

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2014, 02:34:20 PM »
I believe that the PhD is worth it, well was for me. Jump in economic opportunity when I went from a MSc to a PhD is the biochemistry field.

Define your goal, then build a strategy to get there, an informed strategy. Within that strategy, the PhD might be helpful in getting to the goal faster or completing the goal in a more robust way.

I did mine while working full time and being married with kids, was tough and did not sleep much as I also was a GA for two classes (kept my university costs down as Big Ach or someone mentioned).

dknole

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2014, 02:57:53 PM »
Dr. Ach? Very impressive, sir.

If you think that's impressive you should have seen him defending his dissertation in a microthong hitting crab poses while screaming YOU CAN'T HACK THE ACH!  Those crusty old academics didn't know what hit 'em.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2014, 03:01:35 PM »
Falcon is the only I know to have this achievement.

THE ARS

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2014, 09:19:39 PM »
Right here.

Doctor ARS.

Vagina inspector.

http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-ars-prasad-2c5m3

No joke.

Well that name and the lack of information might lead to some jokes but send your girls over for an inspection before you laugh.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2014, 09:21:14 PM »
Right here.

Doctor ARS.

Vagina inspector.

http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-ars-prasad-2c5m3

No joke.

Well that name and the lack of information might lead to some jokes but send your girls over for an inspection before you laugh.

Your name is Ars?

THE ARS

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2014, 12:02:19 AM »
Doctor ARS to you ARShole. ???

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2014, 12:14:54 AM »
fuck phd,ifbb pro card all the way
T

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2014, 07:15:04 AM »
Fortunately it is still possible in some fields to start in the mail room (literally) and work your way up.

I'm now a Senior Printed Information Distributor.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2014, 07:18:37 AM »
i remember working with the US Artillery and one Americano asked me for "a writing Utensil".. i said you mean a fucking Pen ? made me laugh. lots of big names for nothing.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2014, 07:28:51 AM »
My wife has her PhDDs and that is good enough for me.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2014, 07:29:45 AM »
Fortunately it is still possible in some fields to start in the mail room (literally) and work your way up.

I'm now a Senior Printed Information Distributor.
I think itīs good so. People with low qualifications showed be allowed to make it.

basil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2014, 10:57:08 AM »
Cool, but what about the cost of opportunity? Instead of doing a doctoral program one could be working all those years as a masters which is not bad at all ???

I don't know, but I think that for most cases getting a PhD is not a good idea money wise. But of course if it is what you love to do then go for it. :)

Or makin' patch money in Alberta, clearing 10g's or so a month.  And the place is littered with degenerates too, so if you got half a brain, some ambition and no drug problem, you'll be running a crew in a year.  The oil patch is such a quagmire of drugs and alcohol that I could move there and make a living from selling my clean piss.