Author Topic: How many PhDs in the forum?  (Read 4986 times)

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
Re: How many PhDs in the forum?
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2014, 11:02:47 AM »
You have to remember most PhD students have the tuition waived by working as teaching or research assistants, plus you get a small salary as well ($20,000 per year approx.) so its really not as bleak as you think.  I was also lucky because I had worked for a while beforehand so I had money saved up plus my wife was working full time while I was doing the PhD, as well as the money I was getting for being a research assistant, so we were living quite comfortably during that time.

That's a very important point, most people that do a PhD do so to teach at a university.  I'm an anomaly in that I went into the corporate world, which is really very very rare.

I live in Silicon Valley loll so you can probably guess I work in IT (software development). But my PhD is in industrial engineering

And you're only 31 years old? What did you get your PhD in?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2014, 11:02:56 AM »
JD

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2014, 11:10:38 AM »
What did you get your PhD in?

facepalm

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2014, 11:11:38 AM »
I think itīs good so. People with low qualifications showed be allowed to make it.
My remark was tongue-in-cheek, I truly did start in a mail room with no qualifications and no diplomas at all. Doing a bit better now. Not Skorp1o better, but at least I have better taste in whiskey.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2014, 11:21:15 AM »
I'm truly impressed that some of y'all are actively pursuing or have completed your doctorates......that's very impressive.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2014, 11:45:41 AM »
I'm truly impressed that some of y'all are actively pursuing or have completed your doctorates......that's very impressive.

suck up

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2014, 11:51:09 AM »
I think it depends on the field. Some require it at the professional level. I will have my PsyD in 4. Although I took a long time between degrees, I had a lot of experience (life and therapy) that I have to draw on when I work with people. The ideal, to my mind, is both.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2014, 12:50:42 PM »

After 3.5 years doing my PhD..... I join the company where everyone, from the CEO to the janitor, is on a first name basis.  Ain't nobody calling me "Dr." lol

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2014, 01:30:17 PM »
After 3.5 years doing my PhD..... I join the company where everyone, from the CEO to the janitor, is on a first name basis.  Ain't nobody calling me "Dr." lol

and yet it is a great accomplishment and although I hope my kids get MBA's from Wharton, I would not be disappointed with a PhD from any of my brood,  ;D

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2014, 10:29:02 AM »

I never got why some people insist on bringing up "Dr." all the time. "May I speak with Mr. Doe?" "Yes, this is Dr. Doe speaking?" or "Your table is ready Mr. Doe, this way please." "It's Dr. Doe."

Sure, do put it on a business card. But in everyday interactions, it seems kind of dumb.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
as a degree (MBA) from Wharton gets you a front row seat at any company

It won't be enough to keep a seat in a wire house very long if you can't bring the money in. They'll either fire you or perhaps move you into a relatively low-paying admin position if you're well-connected.
A

AGB

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2014, 12:50:25 PM »
MD, PhD

In my field, however, people usually don't get a Ph.D. to teach. In the medical sciences its usually because you want to conduct your research in your own lab, which hopefully you will be able to get finding for through NIH grants (and now, more and more, some private industry funding but this can get complicated with conflicts etc).

But it is very true about coming from wealth in order to be able to put the years in. Big Ach - the stipend isn't much to live on if you don't have additional sources of income such as a significant other working full time or family money. It can get very tough if you plan on staying in academics. Despite the years of financial struggle, if you truly love what you are doing you will be very happy. I certainly was. It isn't the poverty that gets you but sometimes it is the politics. Politics can be intense in academic medicine. The prize isn't money for us, it's the power that comes from departmental advancement that, despite the titles, don't pay much.

I lost my appointment last year. I had no savings as I lived paycheck to paycheck while a resident; never suspecting I would lose my job as I did. Here is how brutal my finances were/are - about 6 months later, I got mugged at night walking to a small room I had rented in a part of town that was cheaper than where I used to work. I got beat up pretty badly, and especially, my mouth was a mess. Months later, I still needed extensive dental work. Believe it or not, I actually PMd back and forth on here with a member who was trying to help me find some kind of work working for an online bb company. He was very cool and tried his best but nothing came of it. I still look a mess and haven't had much interest from other universities in my line of work unfortunately. This is after putting in 10 years of academic post university study (4 years medical school 3 years PhD + 3 years residency prior to termination). I genuinely have nothing to show for it at the moment. So yes degrees are fine and all, however, just realize the tenuous nature of years of study prior to any financial security. It is a risk if you don't come with a safety net of some kind such as family support of savings. Your education actually, believe it or not, can ostracize you from the real world later. It is tough to go back and apply for a regular 9-5. Employers think there must be something wrong with you since why would an doctor be applying for a minimum wage job? I guess they have a point.

Life isn't always a meritocracy. Always have a backup plan. Don't end up like me. A total loser.

Simple Simon

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2014, 12:51:05 PM »
MD, PhD

And I think most of you are a bit off about why people get Ph.D.'s. It's not to teach but do research and have your own lab - at least in the medical sciences.

But it is very true about coming from wealth in order to be able to put the years in. Big Ach - the stipend isn't much to live on if you don't have additional sources of income such as a significant other working full time or family money. It can get very tough if you plan on staying in academics.  Despite the years of financial struggle, if you truly love what you are doing you will be very happy. It isn't the poverty that gets you but the politics. Politics can be intense in academic medicine. The prize isn't money for us, it's the power that comes from departmental advancement that despite the titles, don't pay much.

I lost my appointment last year. I had no savings as I lived paycheck to paycheck while a resident; never suspecting I would lose my job as I did. Here is how brutal my finances were/are - about 6 months later, I got mugged at night walking to a small room I had rented in a part of town that was cheaper than where I used to work. I got beat up pretty badly, and especially, my mouth was a mess. Months later, I still needed extensive dental work. Believe it or not, I actually PMd back and forth on here with a member who was trying to help me find some kind of work working for an online bb company. He was very cool and tried his best but nothing came of it. I still look a mess and haven't had much interest from other universities in my line of work unfortunately. This is after putting in 10 years of academic post university study (4 years medical school 3 years PhD + 3 years residency prior to termination). I genuinely have nothing to show for it at the moment. So yes degrees are fine and all, however, just realize the tenuous nature of years of study prior to any financial security. It is a risk if you don't come with a safety net of some kind such as family support of savings. Your education actually, believe it or not, can ostracize you from the real world later. It is tough to go back and apply for a regular 9-5. Employers think there must be something wrong with you since why would an doctor be applying for a minimum wage job? I guess they have a point.

Life isn't always a meritocracy. Always have a backup plan. Don't end up like me. A total loser.

TLDNR

AGB

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2014, 12:56:33 PM »
TLDNR

Story of my life. Basically here is the crux of it: I suck.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2014, 01:00:29 PM »
Story of my life. Basically here is the crux of it: I suck.

With your credentials, surely you could find some type of job in healthcare, no?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2014, 06:49:16 PM »
MD, PhD

In my field, however, people usually don't get a Ph.D. to teach. In the medical sciences its usually because you want to conduct your research in your own lab, which hopefully you will be able to get finding for through NIH grants (and now, more and more, some private industry funding but this can get complicated with conflicts etc).

But it is very true about coming from wealth in order to be able to put the years in. Big Ach - the stipend isn't much to live on if you don't have additional sources of income such as a significant other working full time or family money. It can get very tough if you plan on staying in academics. Despite the years of financial struggle, if you truly love what you are doing you will be very happy. I certainly was. It isn't the poverty that gets you but sometimes it is the politics. Politics can be intense in academic medicine. The prize isn't money for us, it's the power that comes from departmental advancement that, despite the titles, don't pay much.

Dude, this is horrible. You have my sympathies, friend. Something will come up, has to.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2014, 07:00:13 PM »
grades don't matter on the olympia stage

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2014, 07:18:28 PM »
MD, PhD

Definitely not a loser at all. You have had some really bad luck. Things have got to get better.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2014, 07:18:56 PM »
MD, PhD

Wait, you have an MD AND a PhD and you cant find work?

Something here sounds strange.
X

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2014, 07:26:44 PM »
MD, PhD

Thanks for sharing this with us. Sounds horrible and as you said, some kind of financial support is needed in order to stay in school for so many years.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2014, 04:25:38 AM »
MD, PhD

Where are you located?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2014, 04:45:16 AM »
MD, PhD

Persevere, bro.  What did you study?