Author Topic: Media Ignorance Is Becoming A Serious Problem  (Read 710 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Media Ignorance Is Becoming A Serious Problem
« on: July 09, 2014, 08:23:03 AM »
http://thefederalist.com/2014/07/09/media-ignorance-becoming-serious-problem/

Last week, conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt interviewed Zach Carter, who is The Huffington Post‘s senior political economy reporter. The interview’s purpose was to discuss Carter’s negative response to Hewitt’s previous interview of former Vice President Dick Cheney. The interview was lively and interesting but it did not go well for Carter, who was forced to admit his ignorance of the historical context of the situation in Iraq.
Looked at one way, the interview might almost seem like pointless point-scoring. In response to Hewitt’s questions, Carter admitted he didn’t know who Alger Hiss was and that he hadn’t read The Looming Tower. Those two questions are standard questions for Hewitt’s interviews.

But then Carter said he hadn’t read various other books, such as Bernard Lewis’ Crisis of Islam, Robin Wright’s Dreams and Shadows, or Thomas P. M. Barnett’s The Pentagon’s New Map. He said he hadn’t read Dexter Filkins’ The Forever War but that he’d “read a lot of the stuff that he’s written for The New Yorker.” Filkins joined The New Yorker in 2011. He said he does not read politician’s memoirs, including Cheney’s or George W. Bush’s. That he was unaware that Bill Clinton had bombed Iraq in 1998 or that Gadhafi had reportedly disarmed in 2003. He admitted he doesn’t know who A. Q. Khan, the father of the Pakistan bomb and godfather of Iranian and North Korean nuclear programs, is....
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Re: Media Ignorance Is Becoming A Serious Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 08:27:08 AM »
Why post the above article? Because my premise is that most people are now retards. They have zero grasp of history or tend to preach revisionist bullshit like we, on the conservative side, don't grasp that history is complicated. I think folks on the board do ok at times but our population elected Obama twice because he was black. The media ignored his entire history and lack of experience and now we're paying for it. People get their news from The Daily Show and don't know the difference between hard news and opinion. My opinion is that we've swung to hard and are passed the tipping point.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:28:58 AM »
Bingo

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:44:04 AM »
It used to be that people needed more the headlines to base an opinion. A headline two days ago read that Perry refused to meet with Obama at the airport. If you read that then you assume that Perry, a horrible republican refuses to meet for the always reasonable and generally likeable Obama. You had to read the article to find out that Perry wanted more then handshakes and indeed is getting his meeting on the boarder crisis with Obama. Folks I work in military public affairs...all we do is bullshit feel good propaganda...this is anti republican propaganda. They are betting you are a retard and will assume that Perry sucks and Obama is great just by a headline. This is why he can't be impeached. The media covers for him and people believe it.
L

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 08:50:19 AM »
It used to be that people needed more the headlines to base an opinion. A headline two days ago read that Perry refused to meet with Obama at the airport. If you read that then you assume that Perry, a horrible republican refuses to meet for the always reasonable and generally likeable Obama. You had to read the article to find out that Perry wanted more then handshakes and indeed is getting his meeting on the boarder crisis with Obama. Folks I work in military public affairs...all we do is bullshit feel good propaganda...this is anti republican propaganda. They are betting you are a retard and will assume that Perry sucks and Obama is great just by a headline. This is why he can't be impeached. The media covers for him and people believe it.

Exactly this is what ive been saying.

The media is so biased its hard to even read the news anymore, it is infuriating. And yes, we are most likely past the point of no return; america has already seen its peak and is clearly on the down slope and its gonna take some major shakeups/miracle to avoid going out the way Rome did.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 09:33:12 AM »
Why post the above article? Because my premise is that most people are now retards. They have zero grasp of history or tend to preach revisionist bullshit like we, on the conservative side, don't grasp that history is complicated. I think folks on the board do ok at times but our population elected Obama twice because he was black. The media ignored his entire history and lack of experience and now we're paying for it. People get their news from The Daily Show and don't know the difference between hard news and opinion. My opinion is that we've swung to hard and are passed the tipping point.

Serious question:  To whom are you comparing present-day Americans?  American folks in the past who had much less access to information?  Folks in other countries?  (Which ones?)

Seems to me that most folks have always been under-informed if not actually retarded. 

Democracy is a great thing but people will be people and so there are some downsides, too, for sure.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 11:27:42 AM »
I think we had a much more thoughtful populace. People today don't research unless it takes less then 30 seconds...which is the point of the article. That's fine for us to some extent but if you're a reporter...not so much. I'd say that people in Canada do a better job then we do. Our kids can't find Europe on a map...they don't understand the underlying concepts about our own civil war. They can't tell you who fought WW2...never mind hard shit like economic theory. I have, for the most part given up. I buy ammo and go to the gym. I hope before the world goes in the shitter I can totally something approaching elite. I imagine in post apocalypse America gyms won't matter....nor my squat total. 
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 11:31:43 AM »
I think we had a much more thoughtful populace. People today don't research unless it takes less then 30 seconds...which is the point of the article. That's fine for us to some extent but if you're a reporter...not so much. I'd say that people in Canada do a better job then we do. Our kids can't find Europe on a map...they don't understand the underlying concepts about our own civil war. They can't tell you who fought WW2...never mind hard shit like economic theory. I have, for the most part given up. I buy ammo and go to the gym. I hope before the world goes in the shitter I can totally something approaching elite. I imagine in post apocalypse America gyms won't matter....nor my squat total. 

Obama dildos and cultists want a dumb population

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 12:31:53 PM »
I'm sure both do.....but I'd rather have dumb patriots then dumb leftists.
L