Author Topic: What's so special about Vince Girondas physique?  (Read 9515 times)

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
What's so special about Vince Girondas physique?
« on: July 12, 2014, 08:39:24 AM »
From time to time people put up pictures of Vince Gironda and get comments like "perfect" and "what a great physique", but I've never felt it was anything special, so what gives?

He only competed twice :

1950 Mr. USA -4th (wasn't possible to place any lower, the 4th place was shared with 3 others)
1951 AAU Mr. America -2nd (only three guys competing in total)

Most favored bodybuilders from back in the day at least had some outstanding bodyparts, I find it hard to tell what Vince's would be? No traps, not much upper chest (even after all talk about training methods for that), decent lats but I can't seem to find a single photo of his back from behind, decent shoulders, arms nothing special (arms and forearms about the same size), not much legs to speak of, mediocre calves)

XBB007

• Getbig II
Re: What's so special about Vince Girondas physique?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 08:42:04 AM »
Good physique, but heard this guy was the biggest douchebag of his era.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 09:01:35 AM »
you have to consider the era , nobody was ripped  until vince came along besides elias rod...z  in the early mr a contest
F

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 09:02:34 AM »
Arnold went to meet Vince for the first time at his gym after he won the Mr. Universe title the 3rd time. Arnold said he introduced himself saying: Hi im Arnold Schwarzenegger and im Mr. Universe. Vince looked at him and said: to me you are nothing but a fat fuck!
That was the last time Arnold was bulking in of season he said. So, it made Arnold always stay  sub 9%.
Arnold was shocked to hear someone calling him a  fat fuck! lol
Vince was a good bodybuilder but he was more like a Guru to the Bb field.

thulsaDOOM210

• Getbig III
  • Enlightenment is my DOOM
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 09:04:11 AM »
Good physique, but heard this guy was the biggest douchebag of his era.

Yeah man he was. I mean read some of his later quotes and decide for youself....

"Nope.

Might as well paint a nipple on a volleyball.  Nothing against anyone else's personal choice....but the name says it all for me ...its  a  FAKE TIT."

"How so ?  they are real muscles.  The comparison you are looking for is Synthol. which I don't need because I have world class genetics"

"lets see your perfect physique. at least I have strong points , what do you have ?

"Good enough to be a mr olympia.

I didn't realize all you guys were perfect with no weak points "

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 09:04:43 AM »
I met Vince several times in the mid 1950s when I would drop by his gym on Ventura Blvd. in L.A. to buy protein powder only he carried at the time. Again after a show in which he judged (me) in the mid 1980s. Vince was one of those self invented "gurus" who because of his love for bodybuilding, his caustic voice, blind opinions and his swagger...got himself into the magazines and standing next to everyone who was important at the time. His pic was everywhere. For years he would write articles about working out and nutrition that he must have come up with at 3am. Crazy ass diets, "no squats","no music allowed in the gym", "a muscle has 4 sides"....on and on. Peary Reader gave him a monthly column in Iron Man Magazine. When Steve Reeves quit training at Bert Goodrich's Hollywood Gym (my hangout) and moved over to Girionda's a lot of Hollywood types, Bill Smith, Mickey Hargitay and more, followed. Larry Scott also moved over. Vince suddenly became "Trainer to the Stars". Poor Joe Weider could not have a photo shoot without Vince inserting his little self in the pic.

So when you think physique think also Bob Kennedy (Muscle Mag) and Joe Weider. Slight of build ectos like Vince who loved and promoted our sport. BTW I never ever heard of Vince and "great physique" in the same sentence in my time.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
"A muscle has four sides" haha that's a good one :D

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »

his physique would still be a standout to this day. respect.
b

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 11:06:36 AM »
From time to time people put up pictures of Vince Gironda and get comments like "perfect" and "what a great physique", but I've never felt it was anything special, so what gives?

He only competed twice :

1950 Mr. USA -4th (wasn't possible to place any lower, the 4th place was shared with 3 others)

Most favored bodybuilders from back in the day at least had some outstanding bodyparts, I find it hard to tell what Vince's would be? No traps, not much upper chest (even after all talk about training methods for that), decent lats but I can't seem to find a single photo of his back from behind, decent shoulders, arms nothing special (arms and forearms about the same size), not much legs to speak of, mediocre calves)

Hi Vince

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 11:10:34 AM »

He only competed twice :

are you on drugs?

his chest is thick top to bottom. how many guys you see today even running mega doses and gh w that kind of depth up top? not too fucking many.

traps? the fuck he want traps for. are traps a classic look? traps take away from your lines and symmetry if your trying to build a classical looking physique not enhance it.

his arms chest shoulders lat insertions all tie in fucking awesomely. nothing 'stands out' to you as that's about as complete a body you'll see. and that's what those guys strived for. symmetry and no one body party being better than the next. they are all equally good.

you really need to pull your head out of your ass.

that's a fucking AWESOME physique no matter what era just given the quality and balance of it, and what he built it on.
b

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 11:12:11 AM »

He only competed twice :

where are your blue stars?

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 11:45:42 AM »
Yeah man he was. I mean read some of his later quotes and decide for youself....

"Nope.

Might as well paint a nipple on a volleyball.  Nothing against anyone else's personal choice....but the name says it all for me ...its  a  FAKE TIT."

"How so ?  they are real muscles.  The comparison you are looking for is Synthol. which I don't need because I have world class genetics"

"lets see your perfect physique. at least I have strong points , what do you have ?

"Good enough to be a mr olympia.

I didn't realize all you guys were perfect with no weak points "

lol haha, noone knows what you did there... useless lot.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 11:58:32 AM »
How do you think it compares to say the body of Hugh Jackman?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
these were the first really ripped guys of their respective  eras, judges had a hard time placing them , because they weren't like everybody else. mass vs cuts and mass dominated the day.
F

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 12:02:31 PM »
you have to consider the era , nobody was ripped  until vince came along besides elias rod...z  in the early mr a contest

Looks natural to me. Fantastic abs. Solid 1950's physique. Still looks great today.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 12:03:16 PM »
Something about his face always makes me want to punch him.

He has that "im a smug asshole" look, like all the time.

This is knowing nothing about the man or his real personality,  mind you.

Simple Simon

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 12:03:46 PM »
If a body part jumps out at you then it's a fault.
Balanced physiques don't have standout body parts.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 12:05:33 PM »
You can't judge from a 2014 perspective.  You have to have context.  He had definition in an era when it hadn't yet been seen.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 12:10:18 PM »
Whatabout Jules Bacon? He seems pretty ripped to me. He competed in the 40's.

Or how about Steve Reeves in the late 50´s?

Eugen Sandow was pretty ripped in the late 1800's too.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 12:15:56 PM »
Something about his face always makes me want to punch him.

He has that "im a smug asshole" look, like all the time.

This is knowing nothing about the man or his real personality,  mind you.
vince answers from the grave.... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 12:17:17 PM »
How do you think it compares to say the body of Hugh Jackman?
vince always wanted to give the illusion of size and width. jackman looks narrow shouldered and small but ripped.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 12:19:24 PM »
Whatabout Jules Bacon? He seems pretty ripped to me. He competed in the 40's.

Or how about Steve Reeves in the late 50´s?

Eugen Sandow was pretty ripped in the late 1800's too.
there was a few guys but those 4 were  the major ripped guys in their eras. but guys like that weren't always placed well in competition. as ill. below.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 12:21:42 PM »
there was a few guys but those 4 were  the major ripped guys in their eras. but guys like that weren't always placed well in competition. as ill. below.
guy on the right actually came in fifth in the 1955 mr america contest and didn't even win most muscular.....
F

Complex Carbs

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »

He only competed twice :

So, you would like your boyfriend to have a better physique?

Bigger arms to hold, bigger shoulders to lean on.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 12:30:18 PM »
vince answers from the grave.... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Haha, exactly. Ultimate punchable face.