Author Topic: Recovery from Hernia Surgery  (Read 1325 times)

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Recovery from Hernia Surgery
« on: July 14, 2014, 03:58:15 PM »
Essentially complete- 10 months later.  Squats back up.  I haven't deadlifted,  and even pulling the heavy shrug barbell into position is a bit dicey. But poundages back to my usual realm- at 54 now that's a bit unusual, but I am into weight for FORM so I will take it gladly.  Condition- ie fat percentage is crap, even on a conservative menu, but I have a year, lots of Anavar, and a Costco card for chicken breast in bulk.  Really mulling over GH now,  I am leaning towards doing it,  but I have doubts. I may use it for 6 months up to the show.  I have used various prescribed anabolics, but honestly can't assess what regimen would suit me. I am
usually on the conservative side in diet and drugs. I don't fear hard work.  I do not want to do something irresponsible and stupid. I do want to achieve something more. Peace.  Input is welcome. Be advised I tend to be irritable, lol!  

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Re: Recovery from Hernia Surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 04:37:50 PM »
Friend had hernia surgery last year. Don't remember a 10 month recovery time for him. He was 31.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 12:17:33 AM »
You must have had quite the hernia repair. I had hernia surgery when I was 38 years old. Can't remember the total recovery, but I was back at the gym in two weeks following the surgery. I probably lifted lighter weights for awhile though.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 03:55:49 AM »
By complete, I mean back to lifting heavy poundages in the realm that I was before and carrying a similiar among of muscle mass. I had an umbillical hernia. Out of the gym 8 weeks per doctors orders, then very light weights and cardio for another month. I had a condition where the abs start seperating- which I have strengthened over the past 6 months as well.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 04:48:31 AM »
At 54 you want to make sure you don't have a heart attack in the gym. With all the law suits flying from Hormone Replacement Therapy regarding heart attacks and strokes from how the low dose testosterone thickens the blood how could you consider bodybuilding drugs at your age? You have muscle but you don't look like a young 54. Concentrate on fitness which includes lifting and a lot of cardio.  Forget about posing to music in a speedo all grease up. It does sound like Prime said you had a major hernia repair. Exhaust your muscles with reps, form and shorten the rest between sets instead of the amount of weight. If there is a way to do an exercise harder do it instead of shortening the range of motion to make it easier. It will have you lifting lighter weights but with better results. You are exercising the muscle not to impress anyone including yourself.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 08:41:48 AM »
I had my hernia repaired at age 46. For 3 days I was down and out. I got back into the gym, upped my Test to hold onto muscle, avoided anything over head or squats and did everything sitting at machines low resistance and super high reps. 10 days after surgery took 3rd at Masters Mr. America.

Any geezer using low dose HRT (high dose in my severe andropause state) should get a blood panel often checking RBC and other clotting factors. AND take a baby asprin everyday. When the blood mobile comes around DONATE.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 12:10:28 PM »
By complete, I mean back to lifting heavy poundages in the realm that I was before and carrying a similiar among of muscle mass. I had an umbillical hernia. Out of the gym 8 weeks per doctors orders, then very light weights and cardio for another month. I had a condition where the abs start seperating- which I have strengthened over the past 6 months as well.

Mine was a inguinal hernia. Big difference in the healing process I would imagine. Your a smart man to follow your doctor's orders.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 12:30:10 PM »
A friend had hernia surgery.  He died.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 01:04:19 PM »
A friend had hernia surgery.  He died.

Yikes!

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 01:16:57 PM »
"Watch out with those heavy deadlifts, you might fuck up your back" - Lee Priest

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 03:09:57 PM »
Essentially complete- 10 months later.  Squats back up.  I haven't deadlifted,  and even pulling the heavy shrug barbell into position is a bit dicey. But poundages back to my usual realm- at 54 now that's a bit unusual, but I am into weight for FORM so I will take it gladly.  Condition- ie fat percentage is crap, even on a conservative menu, but I have a year, lots of Anavar, and a Costco card for chicken breast in bulk.  Really mulling over GH now,  I am leaning towards doing it,  but I have doubts. I may use it for 6 months up to the show.  I have used various prescribed anabolics, but honestly can't assess what regimen would suit me. I am
usually on the conservative side in diet and drugs. I don't fear hard work.  I do not want to do something irresponsible and stupid. I do want to achieve something more. Peace.  Input is welcome. Be advised I tend to be irritable, lol!  

I had a umbilical hernia repaired last year at age 53.
was back into gym after 2wks some very light movements
were possible. back to full on training after approx 3mnths.
Heavy squatting a bit longer & the exercise  that caused most
problem in terms of feeling the repaired area was heavy one arm rows.
As for taking steroids / GH why not if it's the route you want to go
Just gather as much info before hand.

PM me if you wish to discuss this privately.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 03:13:52 PM »
morons.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 07:55:37 PM »
At 54 you want to make sure you don't have a heart attack in the gym. With all the law suits flying from Hormone Replacement Therapy regarding heart attacks and strokes from how the low dose testosterone thickens the blood how could you consider bodybuilding drugs at your age? You have muscle but you don't look like a young 54. Concentrate on fitness which includes lifting and a lot of cardio.  Forget about posing to music in a speedo all grease up. It does sound like Prime said you had a major hernia repair. Exhaust your muscles with reps, form and shorten the rest between sets instead of the amount of weight. If there is a way to do an exercise harder do it instead of shortening the range of motion to make it easier. It will have you lifting lighter weights but with better results. You are exercising the muscle not to impress anyone including yourself.

I had an umbillical 1 cm hole repair and I followed my surgeon's advice to the letter. So I took it one step at a time. BP. Pulse, Triglycerides, O2 uptake are all text book. I train HIT style  and mostly - not all -machines now. Light high set training doesn't do a thing for me, but I don't need to get much stronger at this point. Just diet and hard training to regain my previous condition of last Sept's North Americans..Easier now that I am in So Cal and in a healthy climate after 3 years in Omaha.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 05:38:52 AM »
Yikes!

I was just kidding...he wasn't my friend.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 09:47:58 AM »
for those of you who have had surgery for an umbilical hernia, how big (noticeable) was your hernia?

i have a smallish looking hernia (my belly button protrudes a bit that i just discovered a few months ago, but have no pain) that i want to get surgically repaired, but my doctor doesn't think surgery is necessary, and (after my insistence that he refer me to a surgeon) the hernia surgeon basically laughed me out of his office after looking at my hernia for 5 seconds ...

am i just supposed to wait until my hernia worsens (gets bigger) and maybe starts to hurt before going under the knife?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 10:19:28 AM »
for those of you who have had surgery for an umbilical hernia, how big (noticeable) was your hernia?

i have a smallish looking hernia (my belly button protrudes a bit that i just discovered a few months ago, but have no pain) that i want to get surgically repaired, but my doctor doesn't think surgery is necessary, and (after my insistence that he refer me to a surgeon) the hernia surgeon basically laughed me out of his office after looking at my hernia for 5 seconds ...

am i just supposed to wait until my hernia worsens (gets bigger) and maybe starts to hurt before going under the knife?

The docs are waiting for your guts to spill out before they'll stuff them back in and hold them up with a mesh under your skin.    :-X

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 06:04:49 PM »

Noticiable.  File is too large for site to upolad.