Author Topic: New Capt America is black and Thor becomes a woman. Thanks Marvel.  (Read 7583 times)

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
Re: New Capt America is black and Thor becomes a woman. Thanks Marvel.
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 10:46:24 AM »
Nice blue stars, welcome to the club.  8)

:D ;D

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 10:47:30 AM »
Another stab at western society.
It's getting pretty obvious.

Yep...

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 11:17:48 AM »
Yep...
Apparently the NORSE male god of thunder can be a female. You know, because. That one irritates me more than the black Capt A.. As Cap sometimes bails out and leaves his position to others... (even though Falcon has none of his powers).

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2014, 04:27:35 AM »
These change ups happen every few years or so in comics and have for decades.   Now, I hate this change up, but Thor will come back and so will Steve Rogers.  

Plus, why did a woman "become" Thor?  A person that possesses Mjolnir doesn't become Thor they are simply worthy to possess Mjolnir and thereby wield the power of Thor, but they remain who they are.   Thor is still Thor.

One other thing, Captain America is a super-enhanced soldier that commands and leads.  Sam "Falcon" Wilson is not super-enhanced nor is he a military commander of sorts.

Sorry, not buying this change up either.....boo hiss Marvel!!  >:(

Are you a long time reader of Thor?  In issue #338 in the 1980s Beta Ray Bill proved worthy of lifting Mjolnir and effectively became Thor (one of the best Thor story lines).  Nonsense?  We are talking about comic books, remember, so anything can happen.  As has been suggested, the objections and similar reactions to these changes in the Marvel universe are not really about Thor and Captain America.  Our society IS changing and it is fitting that our mythologies and fantasies change with it.  Of course, some people do not like the idea of that change much less the reality of it.  They will get over it.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2014, 05:41:18 AM »
I was once an avid comics collector............... ....I don`t mind change,but sometimes it isn`t good........these two changes suck IMO.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2014, 05:55:47 AM »
1.  There's already been a black Captain America before

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaiah_Bradley
2.  Thor has long hair so it makes sense
3.  The purpose of the changes is to get people to complain and raise traffic in declining comic book sales.....obviously it worked.
A

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2014, 05:57:00 AM »
We are talking about comic books, remember, so anything can happen.  As has been suggested, the objections and similar reactions to these changes in the Marvel universe are not really about Thor and Captain America.  
Our society IS changing and it is fitting that our mythologies and fantasies change with it.  Of course, some people do not like the idea of that change much less the reality of it.  They will get over it.

Something only a colored person would say :D

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2014, 06:03:51 AM »
1.  There's already been a black Captain America before

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaiah_Bradley
2.  Thor has long hair so it makes sense
3.  The purpose of the changes is to get people to complain and raise traffic in declining comic book sales.....obviously it worked.

Exactly. Just like when the character "came out" back in the 90's. All to draw attention to something that has been circling the drain for a while now. Also, it opens the capitalist movie studios to be able to squeeze a few more shit type sequels out. I don't agree with the Thor thing, but I also won't buy it or watch it either.

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2014, 07:48:58 AM »
This is all being done due to legal copyright issues, not for shock and political agendas. A big shit storm could be coming to Marvel/Disney soon.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2014, 07:52:11 AM »
This is all being done due to legal copyright issues, not for shock and political agendas. A big shit storm could be coming to Marvel/Disney soon.

Oh? Good to hear from the Indie-Pro in the Know!

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2014, 08:00:17 AM »
Same thing happened in the late 80's.

Grey Hulk
The Captain (Steve Rogers in new black Costume)
New Iron Man red and gold armor
Thor in golden armor/Beta Ray Bill as Thor

All due to impending copyright legal issues.

It's a legal thing, not a creative one.

New 52 in DC was the same thing.

Superman had to change because DC almost lost a bunch of his mythos due to legal issues.

They had to prepare and change the entire universe landscape around him. Superman loves Wonder Woman now because they almost lost Lois Lane. The list goes on and on.

So much shit people never know about and the companies don't want you too because they know the people will rally around the creators and hurt their sales even more...

Comics are an evil business...

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2014, 08:16:55 AM »
Same thing happened in the late 80's.

Grey Hulk
The Captain (Steve Rogers in new black Costume)
New Iron Man red and gold armor
Thor in golden armor/Beta Ray Bill as Thor

All due to impending copyright legal issues.

It's a legal thing, not a creative one.

New 52 in DC was the same thing.

Superman had to change because DC almost lost a bunch of his mythos due to legal issues.

They had to prepare and change the entire universe landscape around him. Superman loves Wonder Woman now because they almost lost Lois Lane. The list goes on and on.

So much shit people never know about and the companies don't want you too because they know the people will rally around the creators and hurt their sales even more...

Comics are an evil business...

I see. I thought this whole process was to create a buzz for flagging sales. They would eventually restore the characters to their original state when the next avengers movie hits.

Care to elborate a bit more what type of legal issues would cause changes?

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2014, 08:20:26 AM »
This is so telling about the current state of our society. NOTHING is safe from the PC police. EVERYTHING must be feminized and remade in a racial/gay friendly tone. Everything involving white men must be torn down and defiled and changed to fit the  ew narrative.

Great post, you nailed it.

Unfortunately, it only gets worse from here.  I'm just glad I had a decent childhood.  Children of today have no idea what they're in for... they probably don't/won't realize it because they're all being indoctrinated and brainwashed from the moment they are born.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
Disney bought Marvel I believe. When they did the Green Lantern came out of the closet. Is it surprising that the owner of one the most liberal news services ABC News is making politically correct changes to comic book characters?

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2014, 01:02:59 PM »
Disney bought Marvel I believe. When they did the Green Lantern came out of the closet. Is it surprising that the owner of one the most liberal news services ABC News is making politically correct changes to comic book characters?

Women and hebrews are the largest demographic of comic book readers.

Oprah is going to be presented by a Fox conservative shock jock in a similar move. Hannity probably.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2014, 02:56:28 PM »
I don't have an issue with a black man taking on the Capt America role.  Cap is an icon...more than jus a man...like the Green Lantern being several people in its history.  Capt America is about doing what's right regardless of the moral ambiguity of the situation.  There's no reason a black man couldn't inherit that mantle.

Thor as a women is just fucking stupid.  There are plenty of mythological female characters in the Marvel universe that could be given the lime light instead of trying to change Thor's back story.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2014, 05:30:20 PM »
I don't have an issue with a black man taking on the Capt America role.  Cap is an icon...more than jus a man...like the Green Lantern being several people in its history.  Capt America is about doing what's right regardless of the moral ambiguity of the situation.  There's no reason a black man couldn't inherit that mantle.

Thor as a women is just fucking stupid.  There are plenty of mythological female characters in the Marvel universe that could be given the lime light instead of trying to change Thor's back story.

Boom

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2014, 05:42:52 PM »
I'll reserve judgement until I see what She-Thor's crotch and hooters look like.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2014, 05:58:54 PM »
Dirtbag, PC libtards messing with our collective childhoods like  Mohammed at a petting zoo with underage sheep.   I refuse to see any film, buy any comic book or "graphic novel" that so decimates and desecrates the memories of millions of kids.

Even if we're long grown.  ;D

Like a friend once told me, those without a history of their own, will steal that of another to either make money and/or make themselves feel better. 

Oh.  And why are there no Muslim super heroes?  Because their major weakness pork, is everywhere.   ;D

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2014, 06:03:39 PM »
I thought they referred to Thor Girl/Tarene but alas it seems it's worse:

Jason Aaron, Marvel series writer, made it clear to fans the change  will not be temporary.

“This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before,” he said.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2014, 06:07:24 PM »
This is almost as tragic as the angst of grown men  fretting about  other (super)grown men dressed  in elasticated shoelaces
c

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2014, 06:08:58 PM »
I thought they referred to Thor Girl/Tarene but alas it seems it's worse:

In a world void of sense and sensibility, where the boundaries of gender are forever bent comes a heroine for the times that are a changin'....  TRAN-THOR!

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2014, 06:16:03 PM »
This is a THOR UNLIKE ANY WEVE EVER SEEN!!!!!! *dramatic pause*

FEMALE THOR!

Why?
Because feminism, thats why. Women must do everything men do, always, even in viking mythology.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2014, 06:18:29 PM »
This is a THOR UNLIKE ANY WEVE EVER SEEN!!!!!! *dramatic pause*

FEMALE THOR!

Why?
Because feminism, thats why. Women must do everything men do, always, even in viking mythology.

Yup.  Changing history, even mythology, is the agenda of those undeserving of their own place in time.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2014, 06:22:35 PM »
Yup.  Changing history, even mythology, is the agenda of those undeserving of their own place in time.
Thing is, anyone deemed worthy can pick up mjolnir and wield thors powers.... BUT, it sounds like they're rewriting thors history a bit to try and make this change work, actually creating a new female thor since thor isnt worthy.

If its just another beta-ray bill type deal where the women is worthy and wields his powers for a short term in his absence... whatever I guess... but if they fuck with his actual character to make her take his place....... fuck that.