Author Topic: I made $15 million before I was 30, and it wasn't as awesome as you'd think  (Read 11445 times)

Army of One

• Getbig V
I made $15 million in my mid-20s after I sold a tech startup. I talked to a lot of people about this question, and thought a lot about how to stay the same person I was before and after making money.

Here's my answer: being rich is better than not being rich, but it's not nearly as good as you imagine it is.

The answer why is a bit more complicated.

First, one of the only real things being rich gives you is that you don't have to worry about money as much anymore. There will still be some expenses that you cannot afford (and you will wish you could), but most expenses can be made without thinking about what it costs. This is definitely better, without a doubt.

Being rich does come with some downsides, though. The first thing you are thinking reading that, is, "cry me a river". That is one of the downsides. You are not allowed to complain about anything, ever. Since most people imagine being rich as nirvana, you are no longer allowed to have any human needs or frustrations in the public eye. Yet, you are still a human being, but most people don't treat you like one.

There's the second downside. Most people now want something out of you, and it can be harder to figure out whether someone is being nice to you because they like you, or they are being nice to you because of your money. If you aren't married yet, good luck trying to figure out (and/or always having self doubt) about whether a partner is into you or your money.

Then you have friends & family. Hopefully your relationship with them doesn't sour, but it can get harder. Both can get really weird about it and start to treat you differently. They might come and ask for a loan (bad idea: if you give, always give a gift). One common problem is that they don't appreciate Christmas presents the way that they used to, and they can get unrealistic expectations for how large a present should be and be disappointed when you don't meet their unrealistic expectations. You have to start making decisions for your parents on what does and does not cost too much, and frankly, it's awkward.

Add all of these up and you can start to feel a certain sense of isolation.
You sometimes lay awake at night, wondering if you made the right investment decisions, whether it might all go away. You know that feeling standing on a tall building, the feeling you might lose your mind and jump? Sometimes you're worried that you might lose your mind and spend it all.

The next thing you need to understand about money is this: all of the things you picture buying, they are only worthwhile to you because you cannot afford them (or have to work really hard to acquire them). Maybe you have your eye on a new Audi — once you can easily afford it, it just doesn't mean as much to you anymore.

Everything is relative, and you are more or less powerless to that. Yes, the first month you drive the Audi, or eat in a fancy restaurant, you really enjoy it. But then you sort of get used to it. And then you are looking towards the next thing, the next level up. And the problem is that you have reset your expectations, and everything below that level doesn't get you quite as excited anymore.

This happens to everyone. Good people can maintain perspective, actively fight it, and stay grounded. Worse people complain about it and commit general acts of douchebaggery. But remember this: it would happen to you, too, even though you might not think so. You'll just have to trust me on this one.

Most people hold the illusion that if only they had more money, their life would be better and they would be happier. Then they get rich, and that doesn't happen, and it can throw them into a serious life crisis.

If you're part of the middle class, you have just as many opportunities to do with your life what you want of it. If you're not happy now, you won't be happy because of money.
Whether you're rich or not, make your life what you want it to be, and don't use money as an excuse. Go out there, get involved, be active, pursue your passion, and make a difference.

the trainer

So you have money well army of cum I will sell you my man spunk for 500 bucks.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls

Natural Man

• Getbig V

Cry me a river...

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
My buddy's good friend is a multi millionaire. He's 28 or 29 I believe. Started an online company selling parking few years back. Crazy how successful it is.

He lives in a nice but not opulent condo, dresses in basic clothes, leases a 3 series bmw etc etc. Basically lives like he has a salary of like $60-$80k a year. I used to envy him but then realized that having millions is awesome but it takes you to a new level of thinking. Because it's not like you're gonna spend that $8million bucks in a year. You can't even really use it to buy stuff because you've invested that $8 mil so it gives you a return & you're not losing money to inflation by just having it sit in a savings account.

Everyday bills aren't a worry or paying for average shit. But someone who makes decent paycheck and manages money wisely can still have a great lifestyle without going wothiut normal shit.

Funny thing is like the article said, that you're always thinking about the next level. The guy always talks about how he doesn't have shit compared to the guys who invested the millions into his company who are capitalists and have a portfolio of hundreds of businesses they own shares of. Talking hundreds of millions. After a certain point making money becomes a game and you're not doing it to earn more because it's more than you could possibly spend, it becomes a game of seeing that number go up & up. Interesting shit.

Natural Man

• Getbig V

my eyes, my eyes.... this is disgusting

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
I call bullshit on all these 'having millions isnt all that great' stories. If you are too stupid to make good use of it, or just not the kind of personality that gets anything out of having wealth, then give it to someone who will enjoy it and/or put it to good use.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
S

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
I call bullshit on all these 'having millions isnt all that great' stories. If you are too stupid to make good use of it, or just not the kind of personality that gets anything out of having wealth, then give it to someone who will enjoy it and/or put it to good use.

I agree sort of. I think the difference is someone who actually earned their millions by building a successful company vs a lottery winner or young athlete/artist who goes from having zero one week to having millions the next.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Good thread

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
I made $15 million in my mid-20s after I sold a tech startup. I talked to a lot of people about this question, and thought a lot about how to stay the same person I was before and after making money.

Here's my answer: being rich is better than not being rich, but it's not nearly as good as you imagine it is.

First, one of the only real things being rich gives you is that you don't have to worry about money as much anymore. There will still be some expenses that you cannot afford (and you will wish you could), but most expenses can be made without thinking about what it costs. This is definitely better, without a doubt.

Being rich does come with some downsides, though. The first thing you are thinking reading that, is, "cry me a river". That is one of the downsides. You are not allowed to complain about anything, ever. Since most people imagine being rich as nirvana, you are no longer allowed to have any human needs or frustrations in the public eye. Yet, you are still a human being, but most people don't treat you like one.

There's the second downside. Most people now want something out of you, and it can be harder to figure out whether someone is being nice to you because they like you, or they are being nice to you because of your money. If you aren't married yet, good luck trying to figure out (and/or always having self doubt) about whether a partner is into you or your money.

Then you have friends & family. Hopefully your relationship with them doesn't sour, but it can get harder. Both can get really weird about it and start to treat you differently. They might come and ask for a loan (bad idea: if you give, always give a gift). One common problem is that they don't appreciate Christmas presents the way that they used to, and they can get unrealistic expectations for how large a present should be and be disappointed when you don't meet their unrealistic expectations. You have to start making decisions for your parents on what does and does not cost too much, and frankly, it's awkward.

You sometimes lay awake at night, wondering if you made the right investment decisions, whether it might all go away. You know that feeling standing on a tall building, the feeling you might lose your mind and jump? Sometimes you're worried that you might lose your mind and spend it all.

The next thing you need to understand about money is this: all of the things you picture buying, they are only worthwhile to you because you cannot afford them (or have to work really hard to acquire them). Maybe you have your eye on a new Audi — once you can easily afford it, it just doesn't mean as much to you anymore.

Everything is relative, and you are more or less powerless to that. Yes, the first month you drive the Audi, or eat in a fancy restaurant, you really enjoy it. But then you sort of get used to it. And then you are looking towards the next thing, the next level up. And the problem is that you have reset your expectations, and everything below that level doesn't get you quite as excited anymore.

This happens to everyone. Good people can maintain perspective, actively fight it, and stay grounded. Worse people complain about it and commit general acts of douchebaggery. But remember this: it would happen to you, too, even though you might not think so. You'll just have to trust me on this one.

Most people hold the illusion that if only they had more money, their life would be better and they would be happier. Then they get rich, and that doesn't happen, and it can throw them into a serious life crisis.

If you're part of the middle class, you have just as many opportunities to do with your life what you want of it. If you're not happy now, you won't be happy because of money.
Whether you're rich or not, make your life what you want it to be, and don't use money as an excuse. Go out there, get involved, be active, pursue your passion, and make a difference.

very very very very good post  8)

ps: could you gimme 2000 bucks in my pay pal account, I really need this one thing, you know I love you...  ;D

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003

I can smell that poontang through my PC screen.

>:(

ilalin

• Getbig IV
  • Боже правде

Thanks for an awesome introspect

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Very Interesting post. Still working on having those problems that come with having millions.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
great post, but for a getbigger, only being worth 15 mil by age 30 is kind of embarrassing.  

Can't even get your coat checked at the centimillionaire club when we meet.

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
great post, but for a getbigger, only being worth 15 mil by age 30 is kind of embarrassing.  

no private planes neither

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V

I literally LOLed reading that on the shitter ;D

pissant

• Getbig III
BITCH YOU WASNT WITH ME SHOOTING IN SHOOTING IN THE GYM

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
I agree sort of. I think the difference is someone who actually earned their millions by building a successful company vs a lottery winner or young athlete/artist who goes from having zero one week to having millions the next.

Exactly this.

Making a lot of money isn't overrated because the freedom to never even think about a holiday budget, worry about the cost of your kids' education, or even just eating as much grass fed fillet steak as you want is great.  But beyond the first million or so life doesn't change all that much.

Because the buzz isn't about spending the money and buying material possessions.  It is about achieving something - usually what made you your money in the first place, being the best, growing your business further.   

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
I'm sure it's not as great as it may seem.................

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
I knew two billionaires. Went to their houses, knew their sons well, studied with one etc. From the outside, it got to a point where nothing was unusual or a major treat. Chalets in France and Switzerland, new Bentleys, private jets to the finals of sports tournaments like Heineken Cup. If there is no progression from one level to the next, you eventually become desensitised to how "lucky" or privileged you are.

I say knew as being Irish both are now massively indebted to banks since the property crash, although they still have tens of millions in one case and hundreds of millions in another case at their disposal.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
15 million before age 30. Calling BS on this one. Just buying real estate and businesses you would be set for life.

I always felt if you got a roof over your head and all the food you can eat then you are already rich. I was in New York City last night. I saw at least 15 people sleeping on the side walk. Be grateful for what you have. Can't afford a gym membership? Run and do body weight exercise. You will be able to kick most of the gym membership crowd's asses just by doing this.