Author Topic: Federal Judge Strikes Down California's Death Penalty  (Read 2466 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Federal Judge Strikes Down California's Death Penalty
« on: July 17, 2014, 04:37:09 PM »
Not sure I agree with this, but I do agree it takes way too long to execute someone on death row.  Unless they live in Texas or Florida. 

The fact California spent $308 million on each execution is obscene.

The Huffington Post    
By Mollie Reilly
Posted: 07/16/2014

A federal judge has ruled that California's death penalty system is unconstitutional.

U.S. District Judge Cormac J. Carney handed down an order Wednesday, finding that the system is arbitrary and in violation of the Constitution's 8th Amendment.

"California's death penalty system is so plagued by inordinate and unpredictable delay that the death sentence is actually carried out against only a trivial few of those sentenced to death," Carney writes. "For all practical purposes then, a sentence of death in California is a sentence of life imprisonment with the remote possibility of death -- a sentence no rational legislature or jury could ever impose."

Carney continues: "Inordinate and unpredictable delay... has resulted in a system in which arbitrary factors, rather than legitimate ones like the nature of the crime or the date of the death sentence, determine whether an individual will actually be executed. And it has resulted in a system that serves no penological purpose. Such a system is unconstitutional."

The ruling also vacated the death sentence of petitioner Ernest Dewayne Jones (whose middle name has also appeared in news reports as "Dwayne"). Jones was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to death in 1995.

Capital punishment was ruled unconstitutional by the state's Supreme Court in 1976, but was reinstated by the state legislature the following year. Since then, 13 inmates have been executed in California, most recently Clarence Ray Allen in 2006. An analysis by the Los Angeles Times found that the state spent $308 million on each execution.

Read the order below:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/16/california-death-penalty_n_5592448.html

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Re: Federal Judge Strikes Down California's Death Penalty
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
Not sure I agree with this, but I do agree it takes way too long to execute someone on death row.  Unless they live in Texas or Florida. 

The fact California spent $308 million on each execution is obscene.

The Huffington Post    
By Mollie Reilly
Posted: 07/16/2014

A federal judge has ruled that California's death penalty system is unconstitutional.

U.S. District Judge Cormac J. Carney handed down an order Wednesday, finding that the system is arbitrary and in violation of the Constitution's 8th Amendment.

"California's death penalty system is so plagued by inordinate and unpredictable delay that the death sentence is actually carried out against only a trivial few of those sentenced to death," Carney writes. "For all practical purposes then, a sentence of death in California is a sentence of life imprisonment with the remote possibility of death -- a sentence no rational legislature or jury could ever impose."

Carney continues: "Inordinate and unpredictable delay... has resulted in a system in which arbitrary factors, rather than legitimate ones like the nature of the crime or the date of the death sentence, determine whether an individual will actually be executed. And it has resulted in a system that serves no penological purpose. Such a system is unconstitutional."

The ruling also vacated the death sentence of petitioner Ernest Dewayne Jones (whose middle name has also appeared in news reports as "Dwayne"). Jones was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to death in 1995.

Capital punishment was ruled unconstitutional by the state's Supreme Court in 1976, but was reinstated by the state legislature the following year. Since then, 13 inmates have been executed in California, most recently Clarence Ray Allen in 2006. An analysis by the Los Angeles Times found that the state spent $308 million on each execution.

Read the order below:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/16/california-death-penalty_n_5592448.html

How do you spend that much on each execution???? 
A

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 12:26:38 AM »
It's about time!
w

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 12:48:33 AM »
It's about time!

Because we should pay for them as well? Kill em.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 01:21:57 AM »
Because we should pay for them as well? Kill em.

Because your justice system is fucked up. The last thing people should want is the State or any other entity deciding who should live and who should die, ...especially not someone like you. They usually include those of lesser intellectual capacity among those to be culled. I'd be very afraid if I were you.

Wake up and look at the gov't you have. Do you really want them deciding who lives & who dies?
w

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 01:38:42 AM »
Because your justice system is fucked up. The last thing people should want is the State or any other entity deciding who should live and who should die, ...especially not someone like you. They usually include those of lesser intellectual capacity among those to be culled. I'd be very afraid if I were you.

Wake up and look at the gov't you have. Do you really want them deciding who lives & who dies?

What do you care? You have no problem having the government dictate anything else for every one.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 01:47:24 AM »
What do you care? You have no problem having the government dictate anything else for every one.

I don't?  ...if you say so. ::)
w

mik1111

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 02:27:18 AM »
308 for each execution?!

no wonder your debt is fucked up. really. 3 executions and a billion is gone.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 06:13:05 AM »
Jesus our penal system is so jacked up...

How the fuck do you cost 308m/execution?

Once they're tried and convicted, give them one shot at an appeal that has to happen within a reasonable period of time, say 5 years.... just in case of wrongful conviction and the inmate actually can prove himself innocent. Always a possibility and they need at least one shot at clearing their name IMO.

If they waive their right to appeal, or they plead guilty,  execute them immediately with a rifle round to the dome from a mounted,  computer controlled weapon (if they dont want someone from a firing squad to actually pull the trigger, even though only one has a round and no one knows who has it).

If they choose to appeal and lose, 5 years isnt going to cost all that much.  Execute them within days of the appeal failing.

If their appeal succeeds and they're innocent, great, let them go.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 06:56:40 AM »
I don't think the death penalty is used often enough.  The biggest gripe I have is idiots filing motions saying it is inhumane and cruel and unusual punishment.  It's death.  It's SUPPOSED to be inhumane.  Cruel and unusual would be making them die in the exact same way their victim(s) died.  Compared to some of the acts that landed them on death row in the first place, a needle in the arm or a gas cloud is a blessing.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 12:57:55 PM »
Jesus our penal system is so jacked up...

How the fuck do you cost 308m/execution?

Once they're tried and convicted, give them one shot at an appeal that has to happen within a reasonable period of time, say 5 years.... just in case of wrongful conviction and the inmate actually can prove himself innocent. Always a possibility and they need at least one shot at clearing their name IMO.

If they waive their right to appeal, or they plead guilty,  execute them immediately with a rifle round to the dome from a mounted,  computer controlled weapon (if they dont want someone from a firing squad to actually pull the trigger, even though only one has a round and no one knows who has it).

If they choose to appeal and lose, 5 years isnt going to cost all that much.  Execute them within days of the appeal failing.

If their appeal succeeds and they're innocent, great, let them go.

I say only one year's worth of appeals, then lights out.
A

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 01:27:50 PM »
I say only one year's worth of appeals, then lights out.
Well I figured they get one appeal, and it may take 5 years to go through the process. I have no idea how long that takes.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 04:36:50 PM »
The Innocence Project has really changed my mind about the death penalty.  Too much room for error, too many corrupt prosecutors.

I suppose if the guilt is without any doubt whatsoever (if such is possible) then maybe I'll be all gung-ho about the death penalty, but for now, it's just too convoluted.

mik1111

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 02:15:54 AM »
The Innocence Project has really changed my mind about the death penalty.  Too much room for error, too many corrupt prosecutors.
I see what you mean. There are loads of instances where prosecutors use cases to forward their careers, without concerns for the actual truth. These can be seen in some wall street type cases, where they litigate to appear relevant, with disregard for the defendant.

that being said, it would be an argument to stop life sentences. That's not life, it's the death of the part of your life worth living.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 09:57:45 AM »

Are you saying people who serve on juries in death penalty cases are not very smart?  How the heck would you know? 

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 10:21:30 AM »
I don't think the death penalty is used often enough.  The biggest gripe I have is idiots filing motions saying it is inhumane and cruel and unusual punishment.  It's death.  It's SUPPOSED to be inhumane.  Cruel and unusual would be making them die in the exact same way their victim(s) died.  Compared to some of the acts that landed them on death row in the first place, a needle in the arm or a gas cloud is a blessing.

Exactly. Spending millions on them and dragging out the process for years is as ridiculous as it gets.

All it really requires is one bullet :D

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 11:44:28 AM »
Hell, I am all for pushing them down the stairs repeatedly until the job is done.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 11:50:04 AM »
For the worst offenders, nothing beats the good old carnivore pit...drop them in with the crocodiles and thats it. The crocs do the execution and the clean-up completely cost free...and the convict even gets recycled as well ;D

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 11:53:58 AM »
Are you saying people who serve on juries in death penalty cases are not very smart?  How the heck would you know? 

She's in the know about alot of things

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 12:56:16 PM »
For the worst offenders, nothing beats the good old carnivore pit...drop them in with the crocodiles and thats it. The crocs do the execution and the clean-up completely cost free...and the convict even gets recycled as well ;D

And dont forget the boots and bags that can be made from all those fat crocs.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 01:25:06 PM »
She's in the know about alot of things

Of course she is.  People with an IQ of 160-no-150-no-160 know quite a bit. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 05:39:38 PM »
Arizona Execution: Joseph Wood 'Gasping And Snorting For More Than An Hour,' Lawyers Say
The Huffington Post     | By Michael McLaughlin
07/23/2014

An Arizona inmate gasped and snorted in an execution that lasted nearly two hours on Tuesday.

Lawyers for Joseph Wood had filed an emergency motion to abort the execution because their client was still alive more than an hour after receiving a lethal injection that was intended to kill him quickly and peacefully.

Their motion, filed in federal district court, failed to save Wood. Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne announced that the 55-year-old convicted killer was pronounced dead at 3:49 p.m.

Court papers said the execution started 117 minutes earlier.

"He has been gasping and snorting for more than an hour," Wood's lawyers wrote in their hurried attempt to call off the execution and force Arizona to provide Wood with life-saving care. "He is still alive."

A journalist from the Arizona Republic who witnessed the execution said Wood gasped for air 660 times after the drugs were introduced through intravenous tubes.

Wood was convicted of killing his girlfriend Debra Dietz and her father in 1989.

Dietz' sister dismissed concerns about how Wood died.

"I don't believe he was suffering," Dietz's sister, Jeannie Brown told NBC News. "Who really suffered was my dad and my sister when they were killed."

Defense lawyers and prosecutors had battled in court in the run-up to Wood’s execution. His attorneys sought to postpone his execution unless Arizona disclosed information about the untested cocktail of deadly drugs they planned to administer to him, the Arizona Republic reported.

They also argued that Wood's original defense was inadequate. The Arizona Supreme Court, however, rejected both arguments earlier today and allowed the execution to go forward.

After Wood's death was announced, one of his lawyers in a statement given to HuffPost criticized the secrecy Arizona officials maintained around the experimental use of drugs.

"We will renew our efforts to get information about the manufacturer of drugs as well as how Arizona came up with the experimental formula of drugs it used today. Arizona appears to have joined several other states who have been responsible for an entirely preventable horror -- a bungled execution," Dale Baich said. "The public should hold its officials responsible and demand to make this process more transparent.”

In April, Oklahoma halted the execution of inmate Clayton Lockett who writhed in the death chamber during an execution prolonged by poorly administered drugs.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/23/joseph-wood-execution_n_5615308.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2015, 03:17:23 PM »
Executions likely go on despite strong Supreme Court dissent
Published August 10, 2015
Associated Press

FILE: 2008: A gurney on which Texas' condemned are strapped down to receive a lethal dose of drugs. in Huntsville, Texas. (AP)

Wherever their summer travels have taken them, Supreme Court justices probably will weigh in on Texas' plans to execute two death row inmates in the week ahead.

If past practice is any guide, the court is much more likely to allow the lethal-injection executions to proceed than to halt them.

Opponents of the death penalty took heart when Justices Stephen Breyer and Ruth Bader Ginsburg made the case against capital punishment in late June as arbitrary, prone to mistakes and time-consuming. Even if death penalty opponents eventually succeed, the timeline for abolition probably will be measured in years, not months.

That's because Breyer, joined by Ginsburg, was writing in dissent in a case involving death row inmates in Oklahoma, and five sitting justices, a majority of the court, believe "it is settled that capital punishment is constitutional," as Justice Samuel Alito wrote in his opinion for the court in that same case.

Texas has scheduled back-to-back executions Wednesday and Thursday for Daniel Lee Lopez and Tracy Lane Beatty.

Lopez was convicted of running over a Texas police officer with his car during a high-speed chase. Lopez' lawyer already has asked the court to stop the execution.

Beatty strangled his 62-year-old mother, then stole her car and drained her bank accounts. He has an appeal pending in lower courts and could also end up at the Supreme Court.

The justices rarely issue last-minute reprieves to death-row inmates. Even after Breyer's opinion calling for a re-examination of capital punishment by the Supreme Court, no justice publicly backed a Missouri inmate's plea to halt his execution to allow the court to take up the constitutionality of the death penalty.

Similarly, the three Oklahoma inmates who lost their high court case now face execution in September and October and want the justices to reconsider the decision from June in light of Breyer's dissent. The court almost never does that.

The heightened attention on the death penalty comes amid declining use of capital punishment in the United States, and a sharp drop in the number of death penalty prosecutions.

The 18 executions that have taken place so far this year have been carried out in just five states -- Texas, Missouri, Georgia, Florida and Oklahoma. Nine of those were in Texas. Twelve states with the death penalty have not had an execution in more than five years. That list includes California and Pennsylvania, which between them have more than 900 death row inmates.

The relatively small number of states that actively seek to carry out death sentences underscores what Ginsburg characterized in late July as "the luck of the draw."

"If you happen to commit a crime in one county in Louisiana, the chances you will get the death penalty are very high. On the other hand, if you commit the same deed in Minnesota, the chances are almost nil," she said at a Duke University law school event in Washington.

Texas is far and away the leader in carrying out executions, but it too has seen a drop in the number of new inmates on its death row. No new death sentences have been imposed in Texas this year, said Robert Dunham, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center.

Geographic disparity was among several defects Breyer and Ginsburg identified in June. Another is the length of time many inmates spend living under a sentence of death, which Breyer had previously suggested also might be a violation of the constitutional ban on cruel and unusual punishment. Six of the 18 men who have been executed in 2015 spent at least 20 years on death row, including one who served 31 years before his execution.

Yet for all the systemic problems opponents of capital punishment can cite, they also have to reckon with what death penalty opponent Michael Meltsner called the "world of brutality and the awful capacity of people to commit violent crimes." One example: The Justice Department, which has otherwise advocated for criminal justice reforms during the Obama administration, won a death sentence in the case of convicted Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

"When awful things happen, people don't think about the costs and benefits. They react to circumstances. There is an ambivalence that has tracked the death penalty debate for many years," said Meltsner, a Northeastern University law professor and experienced civil rights lawyer.

Among the questions surrounding the possibility that the Supreme Court would take up the constitutionality of the death penalty is the makeup of the court itself.

With four justices in their late 70s or early 80s, the next president might have the chance to fill several vacancies and could change the court's direction.

"Obviously, the composition of the court matters greatly and the biggest unknown variable about the life of the American death penalty is the presidential election of 2016. My expected time frame for constitutional abolition varies greatly based on the result," said Jordan Steiker, a University of Texas law professor.

It took Breyer and Ginsburg more than 20 years on the Supreme Court to voice their doubt about capital punishment. Justices Harry Blackmun and John Paul Stevens likewise spoke out at the very end of their time on the court.

Steiker said he thinks Breyer's dissent will serve as a road map for death penalty lawyers and future justices who may not feel constrained to wait before grappling with executions.

"It was invigorating to those who'd like to see constitutional abolition," he said. "The arguments not new, but they had not been marshaled as effectively by a justice until this opinion."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/08/10/executions-likely-go-on-despite-strong-supreme-court-dissent/?intcmp=hplnws