Author Topic: America's Finest...  (Read 2251 times)

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
America's Finest...
« on: July 18, 2014, 01:09:02 PM »
The Police Dept.  ::)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/18/nypd-chokehold-death_n_5599252.html?ncid=webmail2

A New York resident died Thursday after police officers put the man, who was asthmatic, in a chokehold before apparently slamming his head on the ground.

The New York Daily News obtained exclusive video of the incident, which shows Staten Island man Eric Garner, 43, begging officers to let him breathe as he lies on the ground helpless.

Now, his family is demanding accountability from the NYPD.

Police said Garner, who was a married father of six children, died of a heart attack during the arrest, according to The Associated Press. The NYPD said Garner had been seen selling untaxed cigarettes, and that he had been arrested before for the same offense.

In the video, Garner denied the allegations and asked a plainclothes officer why he was stopped.

“Every time you see me you want to mess with me," Garner told cops in the video. "I’m tired of it. It stops today!”

When Garner refused to put his hands behind his back, and asked one officer not to touch him, two others moved in to make the arrest.

Video shows at least one officer putting Garner in a chokehold and slamming him on the ground.

Garner can be heard screaming "I can't breathe, I can't breathe!" before going quiet.

Multiple witnesses to the death expressed anger at the NYPD.

“They jumped him and they were choking him. He was foaming at the mouth,” 22-year-old Ramsey Orta, who took the video, told The Daily News. “And that’s it, he was done. The cops were saying, ‘No, he’s OK, he’s OK.' He wasn’t OK.”

Another witness said Garner was "absolutely not selling cigarettes," Staten Island Live reported.

Those who knew Garner described him as a "gentle giant" and "a big teddy bear," according to the publication. His family members, including his wife Esaw Garner, said her husband suffered from chronic asthma.

Police told The AP that an investigation into his death is ongoing. The NYPD said Garner "took a fighting stance" and "absolutely resisted arrest."

In 1993, then-Commisioner Ray Kelly banned the use of chokeholds by officers, the New York Times reported.

More from a 2004 NYPD Patrol Guide:

"Members of the New York City Police Department will NOT use chokeholds. A chokehold shall include, but is not limited to, any pressure to the throat or windpipe, which may prevent or hinder breathing or reduce intake of air."
At a memorial for Garner Thursday night, family members, friends, and supporters asked for justice.

"Is this cop still going to be on the force?" one woman asked SI Live. "Is this cop still going to be able to do this to somebody else?"

Community residents are attempting to organize a march on Friday.

UPDATE: Mayor Bill De Blasio has released a statement regarding the death of Garner.

"On behalf of all New Yorkers, I extend my deepest condolences to the family of Mr. Garner, who died yesterday afternoon while being placed in police custody. We have a responsibility to keep every New Yorker safe, and that includes when individuals are in custody of the NYPD. That is a responsibility that Police Commissioner Bratton and I take very seriously. We are harnessing all resources available to the City to ensure a full and thorough investigation of the circumstances of this tragic incident. The NYPD’s Internal Affairs Bureau is working closely with the Office of the Richmond County District Attorney, which is leading this investigation."

bradistani

• Getbig V
Re: America's Finest...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 01:20:35 PM »
poor fucker. pip

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 02:25:01 PM »
To serve and to protect...

Death.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 02:51:37 PM »
"Peace" officers of peace.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 03:34:03 PM »
There is absolutely no reason for that much force and this guys family will and should cash in!  One of these days all the armed bystanders are going to jump in!

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 04:11:33 PM »
he resisted, he was dealt with...end of story

his health problems are not the problems of NYPD..tragic..but thats it

bench

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 04:17:31 PM »
Well it s a fact you re just giving the cops what they want when you start to argue / resist. If you re not able to see this, it means you re quite intelectually challenged. These guys spend their existences training for such events in order to have the upper hand, take steroids, or get fat, to outweigh their preys and brutalize them with complete impunity thanks to their badge.
 Dude was just plain dumb or thinking he could take it, bad idea. There is no justice, he s dumb, they re pigs, that's just the way it is.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 04:38:41 PM »

bench

Quoted for truth. If a cop wants to arrest you then you let him. You don't wave your hands around. You don't hold court in the street. You don't resist. You let him arrest you and if you are innocent you take care of that in court. A cop is not obligated to back off because you don't want to get arrested. He is allowed to use force to arrest you and not back off because you don't want to get arrested. Why do you think they carry night sticks, pepper spray, stun guns and hand guns? Every dope thinks if you don't want to get arrested then you should resist because the cops legally have to back off and let you go.

That_Dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 05:34:29 PM »
Choke hold of rest in peace

Smages

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 06:08:41 PM »
There is absolutely no reason for that much force and this guys family will and should cash in!  One of these days all the armed bystanders are going to jump in!

You do realize it's not the NYPD paying the family?  It would be the citizens of New York.

woodman

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »
over 30 arrests...WTF?..clearly says on camera as the cops try to arrest him"Im not dealing with you,Im out"

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 06:52:09 PM »

bench
x2
I've never been choked out for complying.  :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 07:44:07 PM »
It is going to be an incident like this that sets off a powder keg of violence against the police.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 08:35:39 PM »

bench

That's bullshit. When someone is saying "I can't breath, I can't breath" with a knee on his neck and 3-4 other cops on top, what does it take before you stop? This?

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 08:42:40 PM »
x2
I've never been choked out for complying.  :D

This guy was:

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 08:44:44 PM »
That's bullshit. When someone is saying "I can't breath, I can't breath" with a knee on his neck and 3-4 other cops on top, what does it take before you stop? This?
Not to be a dick here, but if he kept his mouth shut and complied,  he'd still be alive. ALWAYS keep your mouth shut when dealing with the cops.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

D.O.A.

• Getbig IV
  • Revenge is a dish best served ice cold
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 08:46:37 PM »
I don't want to keep my mouth shut when im wrongly accused.
Fuck the Police and Fuck the homo Joon!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 08:50:43 PM »
Not to be a dick here, but if he kept his mouth shut and complied,  he'd still be alive. ALWAYS keep your mouth shut when dealing with the cops.

I agree. But there's a commonsense issue that the cop KNEW the guy couldn't breathe and even thought he didn't know the severity of it, again. If the dude is saying I can't breath it should offer some indication to back off. They already knew the guy wasn't violent simply while this was going on the other cop ran the background check and they knew who he was.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 11:56:45 PM »

So, you clearly think that guys in that situation would never try to lie themselves out from it? What would you do? Do you know how to prevent ending up in situation like that? How about this: When police is shouting commands at you, just OBEY! You have seen thousands of examples what happens if you don't, so why you don't understand it? Thick from the head maybe? Your chances to keep on living will increase if you co operate and follow commands, so why these idiots always try to fight police off? And did we lose the next Nobel prize winner in this fight, or the professor who would cure the cancer? Nothing like that. In fact, if you would see this guy lying on the sidewalk bleeding and begging your mercy when you walk by, you wouldn't even stop to call help, so why all this fuzz? Please explain what the police should do when that kind of moron is trying to resist arrest? "Sorry sir, we didn't realize that you are too busy with your illegal little business, we try to pick better moment next time, sorry about all your trouble.." and walk away?   ;D

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 12:08:50 AM »
I agree. But there's a commonsense issue that the cop KNEW the guy couldn't breathe and even thought he didn't know the severity of it, again. If the dude is saying I can't breath it should offer some indication to back off. They already knew the guy wasn't violent simply while this was going on the other cop ran the background check and they knew who he was.

they all say shit when they are being arrested

you release your hold and bang your teeth go flying out

they wouldnt have been in that position if he complied

are the cops supposed to walk away everytime someone says they arent going to comply
T

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 12:17:48 AM »
There is enough of these video to show that cops often use inappropriate means.

What about the video when the cop shot the guy in handcuffs (whose hands were cuffed behind his back)? Yes, the guy was such a threat.  ::) ::)
X

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 12:23:54 AM »
Pigs always behave as pigs. Always.
a

Simple Simon

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 12:24:08 AM »
they all say shit when they are being arrested

you release your hold and bang your teeth go flying out

they wouldnt have been in that position if he complied

are the cops supposed to walk away everytime someone says they arent going to comply
this x2

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2014, 12:50:01 AM »
If a cop is breaking the rules using a choke hold shouldnt the rest of the cops arrest him and let go off the other guy since a choke hold is potentially far more dangerous and a bigger of a crime, and if the cop then refuse to be arrested maybe he too would get into a choke hold, then there's 2 cops that need to be arrested, unless of course a third cop is trying a choke then it's 3 etc.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2014, 01:33:57 AM »
“The individual act of obedience is the cornerstone not only of the strength of authoritarian society but also of its weakness.” - Robert Anton Wilson