Author Topic: 5 NYPD cops choke unarmed man to death  (Read 54716 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: 5 NYPD cops choke unarmed man to death
« Reply #375 on: July 15, 2015, 08:32:24 AM »
Typical; cops don't pay out of their pockets, just send the bill to the taxpayer.

From what the article says, it was the city government and the family that decided to settle out of court. Cops probably wanted to see it through. Can't blame them for the pay out. you can argue that what they did was wrong, but that doesn't mean you're right. I would have liked to see it go to court where all the facts would come out.   

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #376 on: July 15, 2015, 08:57:43 AM »
From what the article says, it was the city government and the family that decided to settle out of court. Cops probably wanted to see it through. Can't blame them for the pay out. you can argue that what they did was wrong, but that doesn't mean you're right. I would have liked to see it go to court where all the facts would come out.   

of course the cops want to see it through because the individual cop and the police union doesn't pay out jack.....but the city stands to lose millions more if they don't settle

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #377 on: July 15, 2015, 09:02:37 AM »
of course the cops want to see it through because the individual cop and the police union doesn't pay out jack.....but the city stands to lose millions more if they don't settle

You could be right.. but it could also be the city has done a cost analysis on what it would take to go to court and successfully argue their case and decided it would be more cost effective in the long run to settle, regardless of their chances of winning. That happens quite a bit as well. Of course, anything can happen with a jury is always in the back of their minds

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #378 on: July 15, 2015, 09:13:18 AM »

If at court it turned out the cops were at fault, do you think each cop involved would pay out of his/her pockets?
It's typical extortion tactic imo, "take this bunch of cash, shut up and we're innocent".

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #379 on: July 15, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
You could be right.. but it could also be the city has done a cost analysis on what it would take to go to court and successfully argue their case and decided it would be more cost effective in the long run to settle, regardless of their chances of winning. That happens quite a bit as well. Of course, anything can happen with a jury is always in the back of their minds

Agreed..we are actually saying the same thing

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #380 on: July 15, 2015, 10:56:06 AM »
some people here would actually visit their local bakery, and order cupcakes flavored and shaped like police sex organs if they could.

the dudes didn't include the choke in the report, and he died while being taken down.  Not sure why anyone here would want police on duty in their town who may have contributed to killing a man in a takedown using illegal methods... and forgot to mention it ;)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #381 on: July 15, 2015, 11:00:57 AM »
some people here would actually visit their local bakery, and order cupcakes flavored and shaped like police sex organs if they could.

the dudes didn't include the choke in the report, and he died while being taken down.  Not sure why anyone here would want police on duty in their town who may have contributed to killing a man in a takedown using illegal methods... and forgot to mention it ;)

The cop stated he didn't use a "chokehold"...he described it as a "seatbelt". :D

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #382 on: July 15, 2015, 02:12:42 PM »

as I have explained to you probably 12 times and you seem to ignore it...

1. You haven't seen the report
2. It's reported he described the force he used
3. Your hang-up is the lack of the use of the word "chokehold" when it's irrelevant if he described the use of force in detail.

This is why I don't advocate giving citizens more power than the police chief when reviewing use of force cases..

Why is it that if someone doesn't agree with your point of view they kneepad the police? That's a juvenile argument.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #383 on: July 15, 2015, 02:13:29 PM »
Here is a previous response;

"In the course of my career I've done very similar takedowns, similar as in wrapping my arm around the neck and pulling the subject to the ground. Where the head goes, the body follows is an old adage we were taught. I've even held my arm around the neck area in what might appear to be a choke hold but was in fact just me holding his head while my partner(s) handcuffed. No air or blood was being blocked off. Choke holds haven't been authorized since I started and I've never choked anyone out. From what I could see, the officers hold could have been construed as a true choke hold and in that case, the department could and should administratively discipline him if that is the case. Choke holds were banned due to the fear of causing serious brain damage if the blood is cut off too long. Typically that is holding it in place after the person passes out due to adrenaline of the person applying it. In this case, I saw that if it were a true choke hold, it was released prior to the person passing out. It would likely be a mitigating factor. If the officer says that he initially grabbed the guy around the neck to bring him down, which is very common, then realized he had him in a choke hold and released it as soon as he realized it, it could have an impact on the amount of discipline if any.  "

I've searched for a copy of the police report to read the report in context for myself before I conclude on the question because if we are saying the officer failed to mention he applied a choke hold is the criteria that he omitted the use of force then I couldn't agree with that if he used other wording that painted a picture of what happened.   If you have a link to a copy of the police report he wrote, I would like to read it.         

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #384 on: August 02, 2015, 01:45:40 PM »

‘I can’t breathe': Man runs into jail lobby seeking help but dies after deputies pile on him instead

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/i-cant-breathe-man-runs-into-jail-lobby-seeking-help-but-dies-after-deputies-pile-on-him-instead/

A man who ran into a Dallas County jail screaming for help ended up dying when Sheriff’s deputies piled on top of him and handcuffed him Saturday, WFAA reports.

The 47-year-old man, who has not been identified yet, apparently parked his car at the county jail and ran in screaming that his wife was out to kill him. But instead of helping him, witnesses told WFAA that deputies took him to the ground and handcuffed him. One had his knee on the man’s neck.

“They had him in handcuffs, he wasn’t fighting back, he wasn’t, not letting them restrain him, he was saying, ‘I can’t breathe, I can’t breath,'” witness April Berryhill told the station. “One of the officers had him down on the ground with his knee on his neck.”

Dallas County deputies said they were “simply trying to calm him down,” reports WFAA’s Sebastian Robertson.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #385 on: September 01, 2016, 04:28:59 PM »
He Filmed the Death of Eric Garner.  Now He's Getting to Spend 4 Years in Prison
Christopher Mathias
National Reporter, The Huffington Post
09/01/2016

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ramsey-orta-eric-garner_us_57a9edbde4b0aae2a5a15142?section=&

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #387 on: July 16, 2019, 11:48:46 AM »
DOJ Won’t Charge New York City Police Officer In Eric Garner’s Death
By Ryan J. Reilly
POLITICS 07/16/2019

WASHINGTON ― The Justice Department will not pursue federal civil rights charges against Daniel Pantaleo, the New York City police officer who placed Eric Garner in a chokehold before his death, a person familiar with the case said Tuesday.

The decision came just before the five-year statute of limitations on the case expired. Garner’s cries of “I can’t breathe” as he choked to death prompted a national outcry over the use of force against him.

The incident shouldn’t have ended in Garner’s death but the DOJ was charged with determining whether Pantaleo’s actions purposefully violated federal civil rights law, said a senior Justice Department official speaking on background who had been involved in the case since the beginning.

DOJ officials did not feel convinced that there was evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the officer acted willfully, the official said. It’s hard to thoughtfully apply specific techniques during physical confrontations with resisting parties, the official said. The most challenging part of the case, according to the official, was proving Pantaleo’s state of mind when he put his arm around Garner’s neck and restricted his airflow.

The official said the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division and prosecutors in the Eastern District of New York had differing views on the case. EDNY prosecutors consistently believed the evidence was not enough, while Civil Rights Division officials thought there could be a case. Attorney General William Barr was the ultimate decision-maker on the case, and he adopted the EDNY’s position.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/eric-garner-police-officer-daniel-pantaleo-charge_n_5d2dd26ee4b085eda5a207c1