Author Topic: Best spirits and premium mixers  (Read 4004 times)

denarii

• Getbig V
Best spirits and premium mixers
« on: July 19, 2014, 03:53:55 PM »
So I was in Fulham's wholefoods on Friday and wanted a Gin and Tonic. I got Bombay Saphire and the only tonic water they sell is Fever Tree, a premium brand. I normally just get Schweppes. Got dam the Fever Tree is on a different level and makes the drink much nicer. I like Tanquerry Gin as well. Can anyone else recommend premium brands?

With spiced rum I like Oakheart, Appleton Estate and Sailor Jerry. Normally mix it with fruit juices like lime and apple juice, or apple and elderflower.

Any recommendations?

http://blog.ebuywines.com/premium-tonic-water-fever
http://www.diffordsguide.com/class-magazine/read-online/en/2011-06-28/page-3/take-five

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Best spirits and premium mixers
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 06:33:40 PM »
If you are mixing with juices or soda don't use premium liquor. Premium liquor should be enjoyed straight. Never understood when I see a college kid ask for a $175 dollar bottle of whiskey and ask it the bartender to mix it with Coca Cola. The $20 dollar of whiskey will due for that.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 04:05:49 AM »
premium is more like $10-20 above basic. $175 a bottle is a rare whiskey. i definitely tell the difference between basic, like supermarket brand, and a premium spirit when mixed. i mean you can taste the difference between the gins and rums for instance.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 05:34:42 AM »
If you are mixing with juices or soda don't use premium liquor. Premium liquor should be enjoyed straight. Never understood when I see a college kid ask for a $175 dollar bottle of whiskey and ask it the bartender to mix it with Coca Cola. The $20 dollar of whiskey will due for that.
^^
BEST comment!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 05:39:17 AM »
could never drink Whisky myself. the most People in Scotland mix it with water or as Oldtimer wrote drink it neat.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 06:32:16 AM »

QFT.  I'd go even further.  If someone needs to mask the taste of a particular liquor with a kiddie drink like coke or OJ then maybe that particular booze isn't for him.

I didn't get to do that since I didn't have the funds but I guess we all did stupid shit.  I once decided to style myself as the resident cocksman, so I painted my room in black & white and would keep a red rose in there when I figured on success.  What an ass.  ::)

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 07:51:21 AM »
could never drink Whisky myself. the most People in Scotland mix it with water or as Oldtimer wrote drink it neat.

I almost always finish a night of drinking, with a double Glenlivet 12 year when I get home.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 08:01:04 AM »
I almost always finish a night of drinking, with a double Glenlivet 12 year when I get home.
I had a Whisky bing as a Young Pup one Night and after that i could not smell it again... My Father mixed it with water, a half Whisky and a "Chaser" a small beer. drunk Bacardi as a Young guy but compared to Whisky itīs a soft drink. Whisky makes you violent too. Watched some of the older guys in the Public Bar in their 50īs getting punchy when drunk. Funny at times.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 08:03:38 AM »
So I was in Fulham's wholefoods on Friday and wanted a Gin and Tonic. I got Bombay Saphire and the only tonic water they sell is Fever Tree, a premium brand. I normally just get Schweppes. Got dam the Fever Tree is on a different level and makes the drink much nicer. I like Tanquerry Gin as well. Can anyone else recommend premium brands?

With spiced rum I like Oakheart, Appleton Estate and Sailor Jerry. Normally mix it with fruit juices like lime and apple juice, or apple and elderflower.

Any recommendations?

http://blog.ebuywines.com/premium-tonic-water-fever
http://www.diffordsguide.com/class-magazine/read-online/en/2011-06-28/page-3/take-five

Beefeater is pretty good IMO

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 08:06:03 AM »

x2

Canadian Club and Ginger Ale can't be beat.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 08:09:11 AM »

Why? You just don't like the taste? Bourbon is the best IMO

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 08:11:01 AM »

Glenlivet and Coke Please!  :D

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “No no. Down here, Louie.”
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 08:14:24 AM »
Nothing beats a Shirley Temple with extra cherries in a dirty glass

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 08:15:45 AM »
Glenlivet and Coke Please!  :D

;D

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Not even ice motherfuckers.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 08:23:19 AM »
My Uncle worked in a Distillery on Islay... he always drunk it neat.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islay

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 08:25:16 AM »
My Uncle worked in a Distillery on Islay... he always drunk it neat.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islay

Have you ever noticed how Whiskey distilleries smell just like a Thanksgiving Dinner?  ;D

It's 11:25am, time for a pre workout shot of Wild Turkey  8)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 08:27:18 AM »
Have you ever noticed how Whiskey distilleries smell just like a Thanksgiving Dinner?  ;D

It's 11:25am, time for a pre workout shot of Wild Turkey  8)
AYE... ;D

the trainer

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 08:29:02 AM »
Bunch of fucking alcoholics get drunk on lifting feel the burn let that be your high.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 08:29:56 AM »
AYE... ;D

Scotch distilleries might smell different though, I'm talking about that hillbilly corn whisky.  :D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 08:35:07 AM »
Scotch distilleries might smell different though, I'm talking about that hillbilly corn whisky.  :D
you live in the Deep South ? ;D

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 08:35:35 AM »
you live in the Deep South ? ;D

No, but I wish I did...  ;D

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 10:15:43 AM »
When I drank whiskey I preferred the highland and island malts such as talisker and highland park. But I could only drink watered down with ice. Then you could taste the taste. Drinkin neat was just an overpowering alcohol taste.

Ken Fresno

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 10:25:30 AM »

Any recommendations?

Kraken spiced rum is nice and Old J (which tastes like how sailor jerry used to taste before they changed the recipe.) is really good.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 11:02:48 AM »
I had a Whisky bing as a Young Pup one Night and after that i could not smell it again... My Father mixed it with water, a half Whisky and a "Chaser" a small beer. drunk Bacardi as a Young guy but compared to Whisky itīs a soft drink. Whisky makes you violent too. Watched some of the older guys in the Public Bar in their 50īs getting punchy when drunk. Funny at times.
^^
Back in the day (1990's) when I was still in the military, we used to do the bars either on a friday or saturday night... There was a Warrant Officer who used to turn into a HITLER- marching, shouting, throwing things, etc... He ALWAYS drank Whiskey, nothing else!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 11:04:15 AM »
^^
Back in the day (1990's) when I was still in the military, we used to do the bars either on a friday or saturday night... There was a Warrant Officer who used to turn into a HITLER- marching, shouting, throwing things, etc... He ALWAYS drank Whiskey, nothing else!!!
really where was this ?