Author Topic: Best deals on meat?  (Read 4694 times)

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
Re: Best deals on meat?
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 07:01:51 AM »
I use to work in the food industry and there is a LOT of adulteration and fraud going on.  The FDA is a joke.

50% of the food that is labeled as organic, is NOT truly organic.

Kosher foods are another huge scam.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 07:09:01 AM »
I use to work in the food industry and there is a LOT of adulteration and fraud going on.  The FDA is a joke.

What part of the food industry?  My dad was in the meat business for years.  Some of the stories...  :-X :-X :-X    ::)    Couldn't watch all of Food, Inc.  Sad & disgusting.  Trying to deal mostly with local farmers these days.
:

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 11:17:32 AM »
my local butcher is 30-40% cheaper on meat than the supermarket and way cheaper than wholefoods unless wholefoods has a 45% type off offer. you can get unadulterated chicken breast for £4.50 a kg.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2014, 11:36:01 AM »
Think about the chicken, spend a little more for better quality in life and product.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 12:43:34 PM »
I skimp on so many things. Cheap booze if I wanna get drunk, cheap underpants cos who cares, frugal with petrol etc where possible. However, meat is one thing you can enjoy; always get mine from local butcher - tastes amazing, good value (better than supermarkets) and all food is top quality (grass fed beef isn't a thing here, all Irish beef is...). Just a thought, maybe save the penny pinching for other areas.

By the way, a lot of supermarket chicken (breast meat etc) has water added by putting it in things that look like giant washing machines adding water holding agents (salt, beef, pork) and water. When you fry diced chicken there should be next to no water, fry shitty supermarket chicken you have to strain it.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2014, 01:01:57 PM »
I skimp on so many things. Cheap booze if I wanna get drunk, cheap underpants cos who cares, frugal with petrol etc where possible. However, meat is one thing you can enjoy; always get mine from local butcher - tastes amazing, good value (better than supermarkets) and all food is top quality (grass fed beef isn't a thing here, all Irish beef is...). Just a thought, maybe save the penny pinching for other areas.

By the way, a lot of supermarket chicken (breast meat etc) has water added by putting it in things that look like giant washing machines adding water holding agents (salt, beef, pork) and water. When you fry diced chicken there should be next to no water, fry shitty supermarket chicken you have to strain it.

lol what do non grass fed cows eat? man so glad i dont eat american processed food every day

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2014, 01:18:28 PM »
lol what do non grass fed cows eat? man so glad i dont eat american processed food every day

Probably corn meal or some other shit from a trough. Much like the consumers of said meat.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 11:17:35 PM »
for you and how many people... for how long.

lets be honest bro

just me, for the most part, but i cook every day and go all out on the weekends -- i'd say cooking is my "hobby" -- and i do end up feeding friends a lot.

i really need to rein it in though... two days last week I had back-to-back $70 and $60 bills.   :-X

pretty sure both days i just went in to "get a few basics" ;D

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 11:24:32 PM »

any input on the lean/fat % labels on ground beef?

buddy of mine used to work for a meat packing place and says unless it's the super-lean stuff, they just eye-ball the fat % on the label.

fucking hell.. all this talk makes me want to cook up a big 1/2lb rare burger when I get home.. with potato bun, 2 slices of provolone and KC bbq sauce. .lol

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 11:25:06 PM »
Here in socal the hispanic grocery stores sell meat for hella cheap.

Costco is always a win for 6lbs of frozen individually wrapped chicken breasts. (i prefer the individually wrapped because I go through periods where I absolutely detest chicken breast so freezer burn is a concern)
A

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 11:38:49 PM »
Probably corn meal or some other shit from a trough. Much like the consumers of said meat.

Waygu and Kobe aren't grass fed.  Grass fed can lead to some fucking horse meat.

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2014, 11:45:20 PM »
When it comes to beef, ground or in steaks, your best friend is your frost free freezing compartment/freezer.  If the grocery store (Kroger) is open 24 hours, go at 2am-7am.  

Look for sale items and don’t overlook the part devoted to packages that are ready to expire. (You have to immediately freeze it when you get home.)

For ground meat I get an old egg poaching pan; plastic sheeting; plastic bags; an old postal scale.

I put a sheet of plastic in the egg pan.  Put 4 oz of meat in the pan.

Wrap it up and put it in the plastic bag.

Place the full bag on a plate for the time being and put it in the freezer.  Have the freezer a little on the cold side because quick frozen meat is better.  
After it is frozen you take the plate away, it is only there to keep the meat patties flat while freezing.  (easier to grill)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 07:51:58 AM »
Why the fuck do you guys freeze the meat?  Weekly you can find deals at any of the grocery store chains and when they don't have sales costco is always there.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 09:03:15 AM »

Costco is always a win for 6lbs of frozen individually wrapped chicken breasts. (i prefer the individually wrapped because I go through periods where I absolutely detest chicken breast so freezer burn is a concern)
^^
ALSO check out the bags of frozen fish fillets, I heard COSTCO has them, also I get them at WalMart...

thulsaDOOM210

• Getbig III
  • Enlightenment is my DOOM
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 11:43:28 AM »

Yuuuuup, same here in South Texas.

Mexican filet mignon seem to taste eerily similar to American filet.  ???

What's up with that USDA?  >:(

;D

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2014, 01:22:48 PM »
Yuuuuup, same here in South Texas.

Mexican filet mignon seem to taste eerily similar to American filet.  ???

What's up with that USDA?  >:(

;D

I got some organic ground beef from Costco, on the back it read beef sourced from USA, Canada and Australia.  Ummm.  ok....  won't be shocked if cows grown in mexico, cut up , trucked over to the USA where they are processed and get considered as US beef.  At least in mexico they banned gmo corn so the beef is probably healthier.

the trainer

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2014, 01:55:38 PM »
I have been spending between $30-$50 (depending on how much beef I buy) every 10 days or so for years now. And that is usually 2x8oz cooked weight chicken meals a day and an 8oz beef meal per day.

It is just now starting to hit me that maybe I'm missing out on some secret little tricks.

After trying the Wal-Mart frozen 3lb bag breasts I can't help but feel like they are still somehow fucking with me, even at like 1.60 a lb...whether it's "broth" or whatever fucking tricks they are pulling, something just doesn't seem right about them...And it got me thinking.

Housewives and soccer mom types seem to have all these little coupon tricks and shit because they have time to sit at home all day while their husbands work and study these secrets, they learn how to do this shit over the generations.

I do not have access to any of these types of women so I turn to the older and much wiser members of Getbig to enlighten me on the secrets of finding the best possible deals on chicken breast and ground beef / steak.

How can you call yourself a bodybuilder and be cheap with food, food is your bodybuilding life source, you should only buy high quality organic meat and grains or you can buy cheap shit and spend thousands of dollars at the doctor later on its your choice.

TEMPER

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2014, 07:35:49 PM »
How can you call yourself a bodybuilder and be cheap with food, food is your bodybuilding life source, you should only buy high quality organic meat and grains or you can buy cheap shit and spend thousands of dollars at the doctor later on its your choice.

$150 a month on fucking chicken alone is not cheap..

Add in $50 a month on carbs. $50 a month on fruit and vegetables, and $50 a month on whey.

$300 a month on food for 1 bachelor is a lot dude. And I haven't eaten take out or at a restaurant in over a year. I cant even stomach spending a dime in that fucking ripoff industry. Organic meat and veg would easily double this number, fuck that.

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2014, 07:48:42 PM »
$150 a month on fucking chicken alone is not cheap..

Add in $50 a month on carbs. $50 a month on fruit and vegetables, and $50 a month on whey.

$300 a month on food for 1 bachelor is a lot dude. And I haven't eaten take out or at a restaurant in over a year. I cant even stomach spending a dime in that fucking ripoff industry. Organic meat and veg would easily double this number, fuck that.

I was doing low fat in college... Spent 200 a week

TEMPER

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2014, 01:53:12 AM »
Damn now this is the type of tricks I'm looking for..

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2014, 02:44:47 AM »
Why the fuck do you guys freeze the meat?  Weekly you can find deals at any of the grocery store chains and when they don't have sales costco is always there.

I freeze because it allows me to buy "family sized" packages and "one day from expiration date mark downs" at Kroger and since I usually only eat half a pound to 12 ounces a day, I can spread out the meat over many days.