Author Topic: Today's Veterans wear it like a badge whereas our forefathers kept quiet  (Read 6190 times)

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
For the first time is a couple of years I am on holiday in Florida with my wife, son, daughter and son's gf.
We went to SeaWorld today and I saw a lot of guys aged between 30 and 60 wearing "Veteran" T shirts and baseball caps. Some people were shaking their hands and thanking them for their service.

Well I did over 10 years in the service and my dad and 2 uncles fought in WW2 while my grandpa and 4 of his brothers fought in WW1. Only 2 came home alive.

I don't remember my grandpa, great uncles, dad or uncles mentioning their service. They fought against Germany twice, did their duty, respected their fallen comrades and went about building their lives in peace time. My dad and grandpa NEVER volunteered the fact they were VETS.

What is it about the current generation of VETS that they have to show the world that they are VETS. I mean, recent VETS are acting on the instructions of big business whereas our dads and grand dads actually fought a real was against German domination and never spoke about it again. Why do current day VETS have to wear their service like a badge on honour whereas our forefathers just quietly got on with their lives.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
I see the old vets from WW2 and Korea wearing their vet hats all the Time. This is nothing new and nothing wrong with it at all. My neighbor is a 93 year old WW2 vet whom wears his stuff all the time. A great man he is and I love talking to him, he served on every island campaign in the Pacific.
   I have however seen some new vets looking for the attention so I do see what you mean once in awhile.
h

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
What's the problem exactly

I don't have a problem exactly. It's just a bit strange seeing guys aged 30 milking their time in the service whereas our fathers and grandfathers did their duty to really protect our freedom and yet NEVER talked about it again.

Lest we forge the REAL heroes against tyranny.

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
I see the old vets from WW2 and Korea wearing their vet hats all the Time. This is nothing new and nothing wrong with it at all. My neighbor is a 93 year old WW2 vet whom wears his stuff all the time. A great man he is and I love talking to him, he served on every island campaign in the Pacific.
   I have however seen some new vets looking for the attention so I do see what you mean once in awhile.

Your neighbour sounds like a real hero to me. Actually fighting for freedom from the hun back in the day. God bless him.

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
It's more an American cultural thing.

I have ex Royal Marines and Paras working for me, and I also know countless ex British servicemen, and other than the traits they picked up in the Forces (self discipline, often still leaner and more wirey physically) you'd never know.

And the tattoos of course.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
nothing wrong with at all. Buy any of These old guys a drink. My Uncle Donald ( who i´m called after) was in N Africa with Montgomery and was his Driver. He never mentioned it at all until i joined up and he asked we what i was joining. I´m proud to have served with 40 field Regiment RA (the lowland Gunners) AYE... ;)

Ken Fresno

• Getbig III
Haha, sounds like a bitter cold war "warrior" to me. Does the sight of all these youngsters with gongs on their chests and gucci war dits cause you to gnash your teeth and smash your keyboard in jealousy?

bigmc

• Getbig V
i think it an american thing

when i was in new york someone introduced themselves to me as a 9/11 survivor

they are very patriotic too

british people are by nature reserved and dont expect credit for stuff

i think we should celebrate our veterans more they make incredible sacrifices for not a lot in return
T

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.

i think we should celebrate our veterans more they make incredible sacrifices for not a lot in return

I think its a bit of an American thing as well.

My grandpa was in ww2 and you can ask him about it, all he will say is that japs die easy and sake tastes like piss.

He didnt sit on his ass after and sulk though, he got a job raised a family etc.

Now you see people with a shit ton of ptsd etc. I dunno what changed. I cant speak on it though as I wasnt there. It just seems war fucks people up more, maybe its because they are told they should be effected now. Who knows. I can only speak from speculation though

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master

This is what we have lost in the UK Patriotism.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master

My grandpa was in ww2 and you can ask him about it, all he will say is that japs die easy and sake tastes like piss.

He didnt sit on his ass after and sulk though, he got a job raised a family etc.

Now you see people with a shit ton of ptsd etc. I dunno what changed. I cant speak on it though as I wasnt there. It just seems war fucks people up more, maybe its because they are told they should be effected now. Who knows. I can only speak from speculation though
The only place i know some spoke about it was the Masonic lodge i drunk in sometimes. Not about bad things just bought you a drink and asked where you are.

Ken Fresno

• Getbig III

I think its a good thing people are able to admit that they've been effected. It's got to be better than the old days when blokes used to bottle it up and end up hitting the booze and/or their missus.

Also, maybe the asymmetric nature of modern warfare and lack of a "frontline" means that there is a greater chance of troops in theatre being involved in a contact etc, than in previous conflicts? The percentage of troops involved in fighting in WW2 was not that high.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
I think its a good thing people are able to admit that they've been effected. It's got to be better than the old days when blokes used to bottle it up and end up hitting the booze and/or their missus.

Also, maybe the asymmetric nature of modern warfare and lack of a "frontline" means that there is a greater chance of troops in theatre being involved in a contact etc, than in previous conflicts? The percentage of troops involved in fighting in WW2 was not that high.

It's acknowledged as an actual disease, not just swept under the rug where the issues are left to fester & grow.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Let's get this straight, no disrespect to current military or the enlisted within the last 10-15 years but this current military generation atleast 70-80% enlist bevause it's their only option after high school or to pay for college. It's not about patriotism for that percentage group. Nothing wrong with that, but the honor of serving takes a backseat to the benefits they will reap. I don't blame them one bit.

Comparing ww1 & ww2 vets to Middle East vets, IMO is apples and oranges. Different circumstances, totally different mindset.

Regardless, I am thankful for their service.

I agree too that people too often wear their "accomplishments" on their sleeves too much for everyone to give them attenrion over. Keep your fucking hat low & carry on you attention whores. I hate that shit

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
Let's get this straight, no disrespect to current military or the enlisted within the last 10-15 years but this current military generation atleast 70-80% enlist bevause it's their only option after high school or to pay for college. It's not about patriotism for that percentage group. Nothing wrong with that, but the honor of serving takes a backseat to the benefits they will reap. I don't blame them one bit.

Comparing ww1 & ww2 vets to Middle East vets, IMO is apples and oranges. Different circumstances, totally different mindset.

I agree too that people too often wear their "accomplishments" on their sleeves too much for everyone to give them attenrion over. Keep your fucking hat low & carry on you attention whores. I hate that shit

Well sure, but it's not like past servicemen were enlisting for the honor of it: they were drafted! 

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast

I hope you hugged him/her.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV

^^
EXACTLY!!!  Alcoholism amongst WW2 veterans was VERY high due to (at the time) very little drunk-driving enforcement (also no laws/no technology to test blood alcohol). 

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!

It really depends on the branch and the job.

Almost everyone who joinds the Marine infantry volunteers because they want to fight or serve. They dont do it to collect a paycheck, or for school. Those kids join the Air force and Navy and are always noncombat roles.

The kids with no options join the army usually. Army infantry unlike the Marines many times are those who can't do anything else. The army gave huge signing bonuses. In my experience, people who join the Army and want to fight join army airborne, rangers, or SF. Regular army infantry seemed to be the bottom of the barrel who couldnt do anything else.

People who join the marines do so because its a calling, marine life is hell compare to other branches and no one chooses that route just because.  They have reasons.

So its pretty diverse and I wouldnt necessarily say its 75-80 who couldnt do anything else... believe it or not, most people actually doing the fighting are there because they WANT to be, because they choose to be, because they believe in something... not necessarily the government or the mission,  but something that drives them to put themselves into harms way. Which is exactly the way it should be.... you want people fighting who want to be there.

The kids youre referencing dont join the military to fight, or put themselves in the line of fire. They go for the cushy jobs, the POGs,  admins, supply, computer guys, etc, etc.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
It really depends on the branch and the job.

Almost everyone who joinds the Marine infantry volunteers because they want to fight or serve. They dont do it to collect a paycheck, or for school. Those kids join the Air force and Navy and are always noncombat roles.

The kids with no options join the army usually. Army infantry unlike the Marines many times are those who can't do anything else. The army gave huge signing bonuses. In my experience, people who join the Army and want to fight join army airborne, rangers, or SF. Regular army infantry seemed to be the bottom of the barrel who couldnt do anything else.

People who join the marines do so because its a calling, marine life is hell compare to other branches and no one chooses that route just because.  They have reasons.

So its pretty diverse and I wouldnt necessarily say its 75-80 who couldnt do anything else... believe it or not, most people actually doing the fighting are there because they WANT to be, because they choose to be, because they believe in something... not necessarily the government or the mission,  but something that drives them to put themselves into harms way. Which is exactly the way it should be.... you want people fighting who want to be there.

The kids youre referencing dont join the military to fight, or put themselves in the line of fire. They go for the cushy jobs, the POGs,  admins, supply, computer guys, etc, etc.
well the US army must be very Different to the UK. British Army Infantry are Front line and always have been.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
well the US army must be very Different to the UK. British Army Infantry are Front line and always have been.
US Army infantry are line troops as well... but the recruits that WANT to be infantry usually volunteer for the Marines, Airborne, Rangers,  or SF. Army infantry is the bottom of the barrel for the US military.

The Marines are used more now as the primary assault force than the Army is... thats why theyre always referred ttos the 'tip of the spear'. They use us as front line 'shock' troops.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
I don't remember my grandpa, great uncles, dad or uncles mentioning their service.

Hmmm.... same here... rarely

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
US Army infantry are line troops as well... but the recruits that WANT to be infantry usually volunteer for the Marines, Airborne, Rangers,  or SF. Army infantry is the bottom of the barrel for the US military.

The Marines are used more now as the primary assault force than the Army is... thats why theyre always referred ttos the 'tip of the spear'. They use us as front line 'shock' troops.
Not saying anyone is better but that would suggest to me that your Marines are about the Standard of the British Infantry soldier.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
I respect veterans.  I admire and thank police, firefighters.  I thank teachers too.

But what I dislike is when they get drunk in bars and try to use it as leverage.  I'm playing the club and someone is 6 shots in, trying to call another dude "you're not a REAL man because you didn't serve like I did..."

that isn't cool.  That removes the reverence of the great service they gave our country when they try to weaponize it to get laid or just one-up another dude on a barstool.  Another gem was "Hey, where's my firefighter discount!"  lol

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
I respect veterans.  I admire and thank police, firefighters.  I thank teachers too.

But what I dislike is when they get drunk in bars and try to use it as leverage.  I'm playing the club and someone is 6 shots in, trying to call another dude "you're not a REAL man because you didn't serve like I did..."

that isn't cool.  That removes the reverence of the great service they gave our country when they try to weaponize it to get laid or just one-up another dude on a barstool.  Another gem was "Hey, where's my firefighter discount!"  lol
yes you are right, some are dicks. we used to have regiments fighting each other here. when i was in Hohne Garrison we had a lot of Trouble with the Welsh Guards. Local Disco was a battle ground on a Saturday night. Go for a piss you had to watch your back.

Natural Man

• Getbig V

past soldiers were more religious and convinced to do it for god which helped a lot. Modern soldiers are atheist who are having a hard time dealing with the absurdity of violent deaths around them. Also life was harder in the past.