Author Topic: Today's Veterans wear it like a badge whereas our forefathers kept quiet  (Read 6213 times)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Not saying anyone is better but that would suggest to me that your Marines are about the Standard of the British Infantry soldier.
It may be. Not really sure about how the Brit Army is organized. Its just how the US military has been used/organized recently. In the past, the Marines were reserved for beach landing/amphibious assaults, and the Army would follow us in afterwards (such as the WWII Pacific Island hopping, and the Korean landings at Inchon).. but our success, and our particularly aggressive style wound up putting us as the go-to assault force for modern US warfare doctrine.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
Chill Big Al.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
i think it an american thing

when i was in new york someone introduced themselves to me as a 9/11 survivor

they are very patriotic too

british people are by nature reserved and dont expect credit for stuff

i think we should celebrate our veterans more they make incredible sacrifices for not a lot in return

WTF is a "9/11 survivor"? Unless the dude was in one of the buildings and got out before it collapsed, that's a BS statement. It's probably some pansy-ass that lived in the East Village and got a whiff of the dust. That's fucken retarded.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
It may be. Not really sure about how the Brit Army is organized. Its just how the US military has been used/organized recently. In the past, the Marines were reserved for beach landing/amphibious assaults, and the Army would follow us in afterwards (such as the WWII Pacific Island hopping, and the Korean landings at Inchon).. but our success, and our particularly aggressive style wound up putting us as the go-to assault force for modern US warfare doctrine.

For the love of God, don't get the jarheads all spun up!  :D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master

yes the US Marines saw horrific action in WW2....very brave and respected.

bradistani

• Getbig V

Trapper_Slapper

• Getbig IV
  • Clean and Jerks pull the bitches!
Let's get this straight, no disrespect to current military or the enlisted within the last 10-15 years but this current military generation atleast 70-80% enlist bevause it's their only option after high school or to pay for college. It's not about patriotism for that percentage group. Nothing wrong with that, but the honor of serving takes a backseat to the benefits they will reap. I don't blame them one bit.

Comparing ww1 & ww2 vets to Middle East vets, IMO is apples and oranges. Different circumstances, totally different mindset.

Regardless, I am thankful for their service.

I agree too that people too often wear their "accomplishments" on their sleeves too much for everyone to give them attenrion over. Keep your fucking hat low & carry on you attention whores. I hate that shit

Those "benefits" are what attract and retain many people in the military. If those weren't available, we'd have an active draft in-process...just like in the past.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
I am a veteran of this board and you don't see me going on about it.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
I am a veteran of this board and you don't see me going on about it.

Actually yes we do ;D

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
I don't have a problem exactly. It's just a bit strange seeing guys aged 30 milking their time in the service whereas our fathers and grandfathers did their duty to really protect our freedom and yet NEVER talked about it again.

Lest we forge the REAL heroes against tyranny.

They are simply wearing hats & t-shirts.

What do you propose - a ban on clothing with "veteran" on it?

My buddy fought in Vietnam, he's in his 60s now - a great guy. He'll talk about what he did there as an airborne ranger if asked. He neither brags about it nor hides it if asked.

Last time he came over, he had a hat on that I presume was representing his unit over there. Can't remember which unit but said "Airborne" and left you with no doubt he was a vet.

Looked pretty cool to me to be honest.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Being honest if i was a Young Man or Woman in the US and wanted to educate myself to get on in life i would do 5 years in The Military. If you are 18/20  5 years is nothing. OK risks are there but youīll set yourself up and make Friends for life. I wish the UK army paid for a College Education. Credits or whatever itīs called over there.

Ken Fresno

• Getbig III
Being honest if i was a Young Man or Woman in the US and wanted to educate myself to get on in life i would do 5 years in The Military. If you are 18/20  5 years is nothing. OK risks are there but youīll set yourself up and make Friends for life. I wish the UK army paid for a College Education. Credits or whatever itīs called over there.

They do. If you sign off after 4 yrs they'll pay your tuition fees for your first degree.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
They do. If you sign off after 4 yrs they'll pay your tuition fees for your first degree.
Got it on a silver plate. 4 years is nothing or even 5. We never had that Chance. Some of These Young People over there donīt know what a Chance it is.

Ken Fresno

• Getbig III
Tbf, most of the people I know getting out at the four and five year point joined up to go to Afghanistan, experienced it and now want to go and do something different. Fair play to them and if the government will pay, even better.

It's not as if the army is going to be anything other than bullshit central for the foreseeable future.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
I understand why people who have recently been in service would want to display their accomplishments, it is fresh and at this point in their lives very meaningful and I have no problem with it.

What I do not get is some old guy wearing all his regalia from Vietnam everyday, its been 40 years. If you want to wear it on occasions that is understandable, but all the time? Let it go.

I had an uncle who was a true bad ass. CIA Vietnam, behind the iron curtain type operations he never made a big deal about it.

He died a couple years ago, his old buddies told us stories of what Gene did at his funeral, the guy was hardcore.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
I understand why people who have recently been in service would want to display their accomplishments, it is fresh and at this point in their lives very meaningful and I have no problem with it.

What I do not get is some old guy wearing all his regalia from Vietnam everyday, its been 40 years. If you want to wear it on occasions that is understandable, but all the time? Let it go.

I had an uncle who was a true bad ass. CIA Vietnam, behind the iron curtain type operations he never made a big deal about it.

He died a couple years ago, his old buddies told us stories of what Gene did at his funeral, the guy was hardcore.
The Vietnam Vets should be remembered. heroes in my eyes.

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
Maybe there is a pride difference between being drafted/selected and joining up by choice???

Also, the g.i. Bill that pays for college is great... But you can wipe your ass with a degree these days.  Big initiative to hire vets now; too many comeback and can't get employed

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
I never advertise my vet status....only thing I own Army wise is a 10th Mountain ballcap my daughter bought me, rarely wear it.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
I never advertise my vet status....only thing I own Army wise is a 10th Mountain ballcap my daughter bought me, rarely wear it.
10th mount? Werent/aren't they part of the Rangers?

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
The Vietnam Vets should be remembered. heroes in my eyes.

I do not disagree, I do wonder about some of the guys that have built their whole identity around a brief time in their lives 40 years ago.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
10th mount? Werent/aren't they part of the Rangers?

There's a ranger training camp at Drum but they're independent.......we're straight leg grunts (can't take a shit without a grunt)  ;D

Natural Man

• Getbig V
people are more educated today and know wars are fought for big corporations / bosses, the 1%, so you really have to have no education/ skills useful in society whatsoever to enlist.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior

lol - CIA Badass that never made a big deal out of it - yet he still told you he was a CIA Badass doing behind the iron curtains type operations.

My guess is he was in logistics.

My friend in the airborne was part of a team whose job it was to capture enemy targets. Basically, certain people were identified as potentially good sources of intel and his job was to ask then nicely to come in for a cup of tea and some chocolate biscuits....

...and he now occasionally wears a hat with "Airborne..." on it.

I think we can give them that can't we?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
US Army infantry are line troops as well... but the recruits that WANT to be infantry usually volunteer for the Marines, Airborne, Rangers,  or SF. Army infantry is the bottom of the barrel for the US military.

The Marines are used more now as the primary assault force than the Army is... thats why theyre always referred ttos the 'tip of the spear'. They use us as front line 'shock' troops.

.......a what? I served as both an enlisted Marine grunt and an Armor Officer in the US Army and while I love shock, that's kinda ridiculous. Us Army armor and infantry units took Bagdad. US Infantry units did most of the fighting in A-Stan in 2001. Army units did most of the fighting in Fallujah as an example. The Marines have a roll but its traditional  hit the beach job has changed.

As far as the thread topic. I agree to some extent but you see a lot of ww2 vets through Vietnam with hats and shit. I don't have a thing on my car. I think the things are guys are going through now are no different. It was just handled differently back then.
L

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
why are marines like bananas?

start green, turn yellow, die in bunches on a beach  ;D

Be, all that you can be, get a big fat wife and a fucked up life in the A-a-a-rmy.