Author Topic: Today's Veterans wear it like a badge whereas our forefathers kept quiet  (Read 6206 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
I never advertise my vet status....only thing I own Army wise is a 10th Mountain ballcap my daughter bought me, rarely wear it.

Climb to glory bro......
L

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
Climb to glory bro......

710 msb C co---mobility is strength....brother

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
lol - CIA Badass that never made a big deal out of it - yet he still told you he was a CIA Badass doing behind the iron curtains type operations.

My guess is he was in logistics.

My friend in the airborne was part of a team whose job it was to capture enemy targets. Basically, certain people were identified as potentially good sources of intel and his job was to ask then nicely to come in for a cup of tea and some chocolate biscuits....

...and he now occasionally wears a hat with "Airborne..." on it.

I think we can give them that can't we?

There are so many dudes who are full of shit. Nobody was ever in logistics but they sure as hell were Navy seals swimming up the Mekong with a K-bar clenched in their teeth.  
L

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"

There are so many dudes who are full of shit. Nobody was ever in logistics but they sure as hell were Navy seals swimming up the Mekong with a K-bar clenched in their teeth.  

PX rangers lead the way...

"chairborne"

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master

.......a what? I served as both an enlisted Marine grunt and an Armor Officer in the US Army and while I love shock, that's kinda ridiculous. Us Army armor and infantry units took Bagdad. US Infantry units did most of the fighting in A-Stan in 2001. Army units did most of the fighting in Fallujah as an example. The Marines have a roll but its traditional  hit the beach job has changed.

As far as the thread topic. I agree to some extent but you see a lot of ww2 vets through Vietnam with hats and shit. I don't have a thing on my car. I think the things are guys are going through now are no different. It was just handled differently back then.
you have a good Point. The British royal Marines and Parachute Regiment are deployed now in a ground role..which is in essens what they are.. Infantry. the Royal Artillery had 29 Commando and 7 Royal Horse Artiilery (para). Some of them came to our Regiment and were good Soldiers but not outstanding in the field. So doing a Harder ground course and a Tradition does not hold much in the field. i worked with the Green Howards(Infantry) in N Ireland and i can tell you they were just as good if not better than any para.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
The most humble soldiers i have met were sas and Gurkhas.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
I thank teachers too.

But what I dislike is when they get drunk in bars and try to use it as leverage.  I'm playing the club and someone is 6 shots in, trying to call another dude "you're not a REAL man because you didn't serve like I did..."

A lot of teachers do that?    ???

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Let's get this straight, no disrespect to current military or the enlisted within the last 10-15 years but this current military generation atleast 70-80% enlist bevause it's their only option after high school or to pay for college. It's not about patriotism for that percentage group. Nothing wrong with that, but the honor of serving takes a backseat to the benefits they will reap. I don't blame them one bit.

Comparing ww1 & ww2 vets to Middle East vets, IMO is apples and oranges. Different circumstances, totally different mindset.

Regardless, I am thankful for their service.

I agree too that people too often wear their "accomplishments" on their sleeves too much for everyone to give them attenrion over. Keep your fucking hat low & carry on you attention whores. I hate that shit

I don't know. 9/11 made a lot of Americans of all walks of life drop whatever they were doing at the time and volunteer to fight.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
The Military is not for everyone. when i was Young we never had so much as now. I am being serious now some guys i met never saw a real meal before they joined up.  3 hot meals a day was luxury.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Our airborne are a little different the the Brit Para's. I'd say that the Regiment is less elite then our Ranger Regiment but more specialized the our 82nd. Same with the Royal Marines with whom I've operated. The Brits are not wasting Royal Marines taking a beach, they're far more specialized.

Anybody who enlists while their country is at war has my respect. Through 2008 things were ok economically and we had to do all sorts of things to get people to join. Now we're kicking them all out.
L

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
When I ETSed that was that, gave my Mom my MSM and Arcoms, kept the coins. Sold all my gear to a surplus guy near post. Got my DD214 and di di'ed to Florida hooah

jpm101

• Getbig IV
I grew up next to Camp Pendleton, the largest Marine base in the US.The core becomes more like a family unit to them than maybe their real family. I give respect to them as a fighting unit, but watching them stumble around Oceanside, Carlsbad, San Diego and TJ, when their off duty and have leave, is almost embarrassing. A brotherhood in battle, by all means......off base, do and get involved in some pretty stupid things.

The older hash marked marines are actually pretty cool, it's getting over the "we can kick the worlds ass" younger marines attitude driven into them. Guess that comes with age. A small percentage of marines actually see combat in a war zone. The marines vets who do will usually have sealed lip about any serious action they were involve in. Nothing like combat to make one understand that they are human after all. Lot of older active, or retired, marines are into Tri events down here.  Seems to reduce stress quite a bit for them.

Also acquainted with a few active and retired SEALS. Cool guy's, for the most part, but a totally different breed of men.   Keep it close to the vest about most of their military experiences.  Sorry to say, very hard to keep a marriage, or serous relationship, together for any length of time.

WWII men ...probably the most deserved and respected vet's of any American generation. They looked upon their war time service as an act of duty, something that was expected from them. Like, "nothing to talk about here, let's move on" attitude.  God and country for these guys....most respect to them.

(history tells us that England has been invaded by Germanic tribes, as well by Gauls, many, many times.  Often wondered why America though it's need to send troops into action over there. England was never any great friend of America since King George III and before)

F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
I grew up next to Camp Pendleton, the largest Marine base in the US.The core becomes more like a family unit to them than maybe their real family. I give respect to them as a fighting unit, but watching them stumble around Oceanside, Carlsbad, San Diego and TJ, when their off duty and have leave, is almost embarrassing. A brotherhood in battle, by all means......off base, do and get involved in some pretty stupid things.

The older hash marked marines are actually pretty cool, it's getting over the "we can kick the worlds ass" younger marines attitude driven into them. Guess that comes with age. A small percentage of marines actually see combat in a war zone. The marines vets who do will usually have sealed lip about any serious action they were involve in. Nothing like combat to make one understand that they are human after all. Lot of older active, or retired, marines are into Tri events down here.  Seems to reduce stress quite a bit for them.

Also acquainted with a few active and retired SEALS. Cool guy's, for the most part, but a totally different breed of men.   Keep it close to the vest about most of their military experiences.  Sorry to say, very hard to keep a marriage, or serous relationship, together for any length of time.

WWII men ...probably the most deserved and respected vet's of any American generation. They looked upon their war time service as an act of duty, something that was expected from them. Like, "nothing to talk about here, let's move on" attitude.  God and country for these guys....most respect to them.

(history tells us that England has been invaded by Germanic tribes, as well by Gauls, many, many times.  Often wondered why America though it's need to send troops into action over there. England was never any great friend of America since King George III and before)

Have you served ?

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday

My uncle never spoke of what he did. It was only at the funeral that we found out.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
I am a veteran of this board and you don't see me going on about it.

Thank you for your service.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
I think there's a bit of a bias here.

The only WW2 vets most of us know were our grandfathers.  Nobody's going to think their grandpa was an entitled "look at me I'm a vet suck me off" type of guy unless he was just a legendary asshole.  People also tend to mellow with age.  

It also helps that they were fighting against an enemy (Nazis) who are about as close as we've come to true "evil" in terms of a wartime adversary.

I suspect there were just as many douchy WW2 vets in the late 1940s as there are douchy OIF/OEF vets today.  Most young vets I know are stand-up guys especially if they saw actual combat.  I can't imagine there are too many more humbling experiences one could go through.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
To whom it may concern:

No I have never been attached to any military unit, active duty or otherwise.  The current US military is on a volunteer enlistment bases.  

One of my best friends jointed the 101st Airborne, Ft Campbell, Ky. In was in the "100 hour war" in Iraqi in 1991, without a scratch. Heard all about that first person. Later died in a unrelated accident from his Airborne unit. Don't know of too many around Oceanside/Carlsbad who actually would join the US marines....among my circle of friend, anyway....just saying.

But the marine spirit and fighting record, on the Pacific islands, were truly brave and beyond the call of normal duty. Some military historians consider Japan as having a equal to, or worse than, war crimes history than even the Germans. What they did in China alone...unbelievable.
F

Wolfox

• Getbig V
i think it an american thing

when i was in new york someone introduced themselves to me as a 9/11 survivor

they are very patriotic too

british people are by nature reserved and dont expect credit for stuff

i think we should celebrate our veterans more they make incredible sacrifices for not a lot in return

We Americans are a warrior people thats why.
A

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
I kind of have an inferiority complex about not being a veteran.  :-X

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
I kind of have an inferiority complex about not being a veteran.  :-X

I hear that.  Also for not joining the cloth.  I found a way to serve though...

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
I was a DELTAGRU sniperator targeting HVTs in Basra (enlisted via the 99x program), and let me tell you that I leverage that shit all the time to get pussy, job interviews, free food, etc. Then again, I'm a natural alpha, and it reflects in everything I do -- people can tell I'm something special from afar.

It's also worth noting that our forefathers were simple/i], count-to-sweet-potato kind of men chalk full of xenophobia, racism, sexism, and severely misguided religiosity. They are not paragons to emulate. Plus, they didn't need to "speak up" because everyone else did the promotional work for them: they were revered by society at large. Theirs was a false modesty. Seriously, fuck those guys.

What's a sniperator?

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
Well my post has caused great feedback.
Just to make a few things clear :

I am a Vet of 10 years service. I joined up as a daft boy because Maggie Thatcher's government have recently come into power in the UK and there was fuck all else to do.
I enjoyed my time in the UK forces and hate the way my colleagues who stayed on and those who joined after have been treated especially recently under that c.unt Cameron. My old base was closed a couple of years ago after 60 years.

At SeaWorld Shamu show they asked all Vets from USA, UK and allies to stand up and the camera focused on them on a big screen and everyone applauded. I remained seated but applauded those who stood.

Fact is, I have been a civilian for over 20 years and moved on and don't identify myself as ex UK forces. Most of my business and personal contacts don't even know I was in in the Military.

My Great Uncle Alex was a rear gunner in a Lancaster bomber during WW2. His job was to shoot the Messerschmitt's trying to knock out the bomber over Germany. He was 22 in 1942 when his plane was shot down and he spent 3 years in Stalag 7. He came out a skeleton but came home to run a grocers shop and raised a family until he retired.  I remember my dad (who was in the Cameron Highlanders regiment in WW2) back around 1970 asking him if he had ever shot down a Messerschmitt. Uncle Alex said "I never talk about it but I shot down 5 and the German boys piloting them did not get out, I have never spoken about it until this moment but you asked me straight and I'm answering, I killed these 5 boys who were just fighting their cause like me", he teared up at that point and walked out the room.  I will never forget him saying that because I was 10 and always thought wee Uncle Alex was a grocer.  No Vet baseball hats for him and his kind.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
To whom it may concern:

No I have never been attached to any military unit, active duty or otherwise.  The current US military is on a volunteer enlistment bases.  

One of my best friends jointed the 101st Airborne, Ft Campbell, Ky. In was in the "100 hour war" in Iraqi in 1991, without a scratch. Heard all about that first person. Later died in a unrelated accident from his Airborne unit. Don't know of too many around Oceanside/Carlsbad who actually would join the US marines....among my circle of friend, anyway....just saying.

But the marine spirit and fighting record, on the Pacific islands, were truly brave and beyond the call of normal duty. Some military historians consider Japan as having a equal to, or worse than, war crimes history than even the Germans. What they did in China alone...unbelievable.
yes the japanese were not interested in any human rights thatīs for sure. The Australians also suffered under them.
Well my post has caused great feedback.
Just to make a few things clear :

I am a Vet of 10 years service. I joined up as a daft boy because Maggie Thatcher's government have recently come into power in the UK and there was fuck all else to do.
I enjoyed my time in the UK forces and hate the way my colleagues who stayed on and those who joined after have been treated especially recently under that c.unt Cameron. My old base was closed a couple of years ago after 60 years.

At SeaWorld Shamu show they asked all Vets from USA, UK and allies to stand up and the camera focused on them on a big screen and everyone applauded. I remained seated but applauded those who stood.

Fact is, I have been a civilian for over 20 years and moved on and don't identify myself as ex UK forces. Most of my business and personal contacts don't even know I was in in the Military.

My Great Uncle Alex was a rear gunner in a Lancaster bomber during WW2. His job was to shoot the Messerschmitt's trying to knock out the bomber over Germany. He was 22 in 1942 when his plane was shot down and he spent 3 years in Stalag 7. He came out a skeleton but came home to run a grocers shop and raised a family until he retired.  I remember my dad (who was in the Cameron Highlanders regiment in WW2) back around 1970 asking him if he had ever shot down a Messerschmitt. Uncle Alex said "I never talk about it but I shot down 5 and the German boys piloting them did not get out, I have never spoken about it until this moment but you asked me straight and I'm answering, I killed these 5 boys who were just fighting their cause like me", he teared up at that point and walked out the room.  I will never forget him saying that because I was 10 and always thought wee Uncle Alex was a grocer.  No Vet baseball hats for him and his kind.

Good post but still think These old Comrades in the US have a right to do it if they want. The only time you see it in the UK is on Remembrance Day when most wear a Blazer and Regimental Tie. I still write to friends on Facebook and one posted These pics of a guy who walks around wearing a Para Beret and tons of Medals, been seen wearing an SAS Beret too. He has been exposed as a fraud but still walks around wearing his own style uniforms. He is not alone because the site exposes These guys. clearly this guy has mental issues. i mean would you walk around with a t-shirt like that in the pic ?? :o :-\

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Wow...remember that Steppenwolf clip from years ago...still classic.  The Pusher was one of their other great songs ..Magic Carpet Ride, etc..

The Doors "The End", background tract , from Apocalypse Now...another war related classic.  Get the uncut version of Apocalypse Now, well worth it. Brando, Sheen...outstanding.
F